Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think is a fair salary for TDs, Ministers etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just leave the system as it is.

TD's salary tied to Civil Service grade. When they get a cut or raise the TD gets it.

Stop all the messing about not taking a raise or gifting it back to the State. Just pay them and let them use it as they see fit. If they want to give to charity or local good causes let them.

Expenses are an essential part of the job. A TD from the country clearly has more costs associated to attending the Dail than a city TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

blanch152 wrote: »
    Given those assistants are only on 25k a year, around the living wage, they probably can't get anyone else to do the job.

The allegation was made about advisers though, not about the person typing the TD's letters.

€25k a year? Parliamentary assistant starts at €41k, not bad for just typing letters.

And unlike other countries, our TDs don't have to disclose when they give such jobs to their relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Whatever their wages, cut out the stupid expenses and having things paid for them.
    - Keep the ridiculous wage, but pay for everything themselves.
    Drastically cut the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

elperello wrote: »
    Just leave the system as it is.

TD's salary tied to Civil Service grade. When they get a cut or raise the TD gets it.

Are TD salaries reasonable? It depends on what you compare them to. They seem more or less in line with an MP in the UK. As has been said earlier, the whole expenses scam probably needs reform. But I wouldn't compalin about the salary levels.

What I do disagree with is the mechanism by which TDs' pay is decided. TD pay is linked to the pay of senior civil servants. And TDs sign off on the pay of civil servants, so indirectly they decide their own pay. As well as casting doubt on the justification for TD pay, it also casts doubt, which may or may not be justified, on the pay of those civil servants.

TD pay needs to be decided by objective means. An outside committee. I've no idea who should be on it. Perhaps a few TDs, but mostly people from outside the public sector who have good knowledge of senior pay scales. This should remove suspicions and I doubt the salary level would be any lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think the TDs salaries are fair enough usually, but with the oncoming doom and gloom and recession and lack of funds I think they should be taking a 10% paycut at least.
    It's a horrible job and you'd be nuts to get into it, which is probably why so many gobsh*tes get into politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Pay them highly, even give them a raise, stop this crap of hiring these advisors, often family members

The advisors are rarely family. The parliamentary assistants are nearly always family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

TBH I think the salary they are on is reasonable, TDs put themselves out in front of the public and its the same public who votes them in.

Now expenses are a different story, I think they should be abolished because anyone on nearly 100 k a year sould be well able to cover their own costs.

As for the Seanad the salary those leeches should be on is the steam off their piss.

I wouldn't cover a penny of costs that I incur for doing my job. Why should TDs have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

Salaries seem about right for TDs and Ministers. But Senators? I think a trim is warranted there. They have little visibility and much less stressful duties compared to TDs and I fail to see value in Seanad's current form.

But as been repeated here many times, the whole expenses regime needs a complete overhaul. All expenses should be fully vouched and available for audit. No exceptions. It's taxpayer money after all...

I've found that the vast majority of large companies and MNCs in the private sector are very strict on employee expenses and I see no reason why public representatives should be held to a lower standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

200k is good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I would say 40k for senator, 50k for a TD, 70k for a minister, 80k for Taoiseach.

This tax payer has no interest in paying public reps any more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

I would say 40k for senator, 50k for a TD, 70k for a minister, 80k for Taoiseach.

80k for taoiseach. Are u having a laugh?! Christ most people I know earn over 80 a year. Average wage us nearly 40.

Would u do the job for 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

50k for a TD?

Barely above average earnings?

I earn more, and I have less skills than most TDs.

Bear in mind that a 26 year newly-qualified accountant in Dublin is on 45-48k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

There is salary and then there is Income. For example the Healy-Raes are multi-millionaires. Not that their wealth has come from their involvement in politics. No not at all. Purely different. No overlap. Nothing to see there at all. Fair play to them. Full time political family who became multi-millionaires from their part time side hustles. Nothing to do with their political careers at all. Just good business investments.

The entire government costs about 500 mil a year to run, its 1/40th of the cost of the welfare bill and 1/160th the total tax take thats everything all in.

The salaries are fair and disuade corruption but there is a definite issue with expenses ala the SF TD and printing expenses, but overall elected official salaries are reasonable for our country

Has proven to be demonstrably untrue, repeatedly, for decades.

Reading this thread, it's no wonder that TDs run amok.

Plenty of posters would polish TD shoes with their gobs.

Pitiful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I started teaching in 1984, a TD's salary was the same as a starting teacher's salary.
    Miraculously, theirs seems to have tripled since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I have no issue with their current wages. You need to pay well to attract educated people. If you look at TD’s occupations down through the years there have been doctors, accountants, legal professionals etc. Do you really think these people should be paid less than half of what they’d make in the private sector? Mick down the road thinks the gubermint are paid too much, he’d do it for €500 cash a week. But Mick forgets to mention he failed foundation maths and is an out of work labourer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Mick down the road thinks the gubermint are paid too much, he’d do it for €500 cash a week. But Mick forgets to mention he failed foundation maths and is an out of work labourer

I laughed out loud at this. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I wouldn't be a td for 150k if I was offered the chance. Life would be a nightmare. At the region of 200k and above I'd begin to think about it and even then I'd be thinking of getting in, earning big money for a few years and getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The entire government costs about 500 mil a year to run, its 1/40th of the cost of the welfare bill and 1/160th the total tax take thats everything all in.

The salaries are fair and disuade corruption but there is a definite issue with expenses ala the SF TD and printing expenses, but overall elected official salaries are reasonable for our country

How do you calculate the 500m?

200 odd TDs and Senators. Be less than 25m including allowances I'd have thought.

Who else have you added in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Each TD should get €120k

Cabinet Minister €150k

Taoiseach € 200k

Unvouched expenses should be abolished

Each TD gets staff provided by the state (civil servants) - this will cut out the practice of employing family members

TDs should get free Iarnrod Eireann annual tickets

Sorolla wrote: »
    Each TD should get €120k

Cabinet Minister €150k

Taoiseach € 200k

Unvouched expenses should be abolished

Each TD gets staff provided by the state (civil servants) - this will cut out the practice of employing family members

TDs should get free Iarnrod Eireann annual tickets

You have given increases to TDs and Taoiseach.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-s-salary-falls-below-200-000-as-government-takes-10-pay-cut-1.4314818

Getting civil servants to do all the jobs will probably end up costing more. In addition you will have the practical difficulty of relocating staff after each election.

Rail tickets would not be of any use to TDs whose areas are not served by IE.

You have given increases to TDs and Taoiseach.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-s-salary-falls-below-200-000-as-government-takes-10-pay-cut-1.4314818

Getting civil servants to do all the jobs will probably end up costing more. In addition you will have the practical difficulty of relocating staff after each election.

Rail tickets would not be of any use to TDs whose areas are not served by IE.

The civil servants will be located in the county town - they could be local girls who would be based in the county town - they serve the sitting TDs of the constituency - regardless of party !!

The TDs who’s areas are not served by IE could lobby the state to improve the bus service.

For those living in the hills of Donegal could lobby for a cable car to link to the local railway

Sorolla wrote: »
    The civil servants will be located in the county town - they could be local girls who would be based in the county town - they serve the sitting TDs of the constituency - regardless of party !!

The TDs who’s areas are not served by IE could lobby the state to improve the bus service.

For those living in the hills of Donegal could lobby for a cable car to link to the local railway

Lovely girls waiting at crossroads for a bus to town to meet the TD off the train to get a bit of work done.

Back to the 30's :)

Lovely girls waiting at crossroads for a bus to town to meet the TD off the train to get a bit of work done.

Back to the 30's :)

And if the girls keep their feet on the ground they might catch the eye of a young bachelor gay TD - if this happens then they will have to resign and let another local girl take over the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Seriously underpaying public representatives to sate mob opinion could just lead to less social representation with only those of adequate independent income being able to serve office plus it could lead to even more susceptibility to corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wouldn't be a td for 150k if I was offered the chance. Life would be a nightmare. At the region of 200k and above I'd begin to think about it and even then I'd be thinking of getting in, earning big money for a few years and getting out.
    I don't ever get this when people say it.
    I wouldn't be a plumber for €150k. No way would I be able to do that.
    TD's are not by default, intellects or even of above average intelligence as a rule. Once they know how to work the system, many of them are cute hoors. The good ones will learn their politics inside out, many will just learn what they can get away with. Most abuse their expenses and all have far too high a pension.
    Some of the TD's today are barely qualified to scratch their asses, let alone run the Country. I agree somewhat with a poster above who mentioned the higher salary is to attract the more educated people. But does it actually do that?
    Many people study in college to realise their ambitions, most would not turn to politics. Politics seems to attract a certain type of person for the most part, and they are not usually or necessarily the 'more educated'. Often their children or relatives fancy their hand at it as a result. That should speak volumes.
    I have no idea how many TD's currently sitting have a higher education, but it probably isn't a lot, nor would it likely be necessarily relevant to their current position.
    Leo and James Reilly both qualified to be doctors, yet were two of the worst ministers for health the state has ever seen. Enda Kenny was a primary school teacher, Ahern worked in accounts and never had a bank account, Martin studied arts, Adams a barman, Mary Lou had studied different courses and roles before entering politics, Eamon Ryan is I guess an entrepreneur.
    The idea of attracting a more educated person must also include somebody that has an actual interest in how to improve things and belong to a party that are believable in wanting to.

The spiel being churned out about the higher salary was that it was to stop corruption. That hasn't happened. If anything it has given them more ways to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"I'd like to see them do the job at minimum wage" is another one.

Never in my entire life have I ever heard anyone say anything remotely approaching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why do we have so many TDs anyway? The UK have something like 1 MP per 92,000 and ours is more like 1 to 30,000. This makes things messy and gives us parish pump politics and cute hoorism and the healy raes and all sorts. We should be halving the number of TDs we have, too many cooks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Why do we have so many TDs anyway? The UK have something like 1 MP per 92,000 and ours is more like 1 to 30,000. This makes things messy and gives us parish pump politics and cute hoorism and the healy raes and all sorts. We should be halving the number of TDs we have, too many cooks...

Because Irish people have an obsession with every little area having the same as every other area. Every small area wants TD. On a similar note I’ve lost count of the number of people in Carlow advocating for a hospital in Carlow when Kilkenny hospital is half an hour away from the majority of people in Carlow. Slightly off topic but shows the mentality

Advertisement