Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations for paving

Options
  • 25-09-2020 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Thinking of paving the back garden looking for recommendations of what to use that requires very little maintenance and will still look good . As i live on the coast it will have to put up with sand and salt in the wind. Some are saying sandstone while others are saying granite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Paving a section of back garden or all of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

We are putting silver granite down at the moment, looks nice an clean and I know from other homes, maintenance is low. To give you an idea of price, we bought a lot but it worked out at 8,700 for 180m2 including about 40M of steps.

Porcelain is also another option worth looking at.

One thing to consider, is if you have a shaded area - moss may take hold. However, one of the pressure washer patio cleaning heads would be fine to clear it once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Paving a section of back garden or all of it?

All of it . Maybe put in a home office type of wooden building

Whatever you do, don't go for a cheap option. Also consider your aspect. Some stones will get very green and slippy in shaded spots.

I have Blue Irish Limestone and it's beautiful. Expensive but worth every penny. It doesn't need to be sealed or power washed - the rain does it for me. The one thing it doesn't like is food so if you are going to be doing a lot of dining outside consider this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Dont use sandstone . To help you choose it, basically have a budget in mind, then choose a colour you like, options are basically grey, blue-grey, yellowish, blackish for natural stone. Porcelain might give you a better choice. Tie all this into your building. Is it a brand new build, a cottage , a period house etc. The choice then becomes a bit easier then. As earlier mentioned dont go cheap option. And get garden lights installed. You won't regret it. Keep us posted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement