Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really,are there that many teachers retiring in October?

Options
  • 24-09-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

According to one Teacher Union there is going to be an avalanche in October as regards teachers retiring and they are asking the Teaching Council to fast track the registrations of those that have degrees and are well down the road to getting their teacher qualifications so that the problem of teacher shortage is addressed and there is no issues when the retirements kick in.
    I must admit this has sort of shocked me ,in the sense that I have not heard of that many thinking about retiring.What do you all reckon ,will many retire?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I personally know 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Most of the normal cohort who would have retired in August are waiting for the 2% so there's that number.

Add to that the many teachers who were thinking about going in the next few years who decided to get out now when they saw the Department's excuse for a Covid plan. Everyone I know who has the years done is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I would imagine it does depend a lot on the age profile in the school. The vast majority of our staff don’t have the years done and we lost quite a few A posts to transfers.job changes in recent years. I don’t know that we will be affected at all, at least none have been mentioned yet. (School of 750 students)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Our battle axe of a principal is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Our battle axe of a principal is going.

Congratulations! I hope the replacement is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Theres a fair few out there... good luck with the newbie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Yea, I know a number who are close to retirement and made the decision to go now. Working out their notice to November. Just not worth the risk to their health and most are close to full pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I know of a few that hadn't planned to go yet but decided to go early, everything in schools is so much more difficult with CV19, I can't say I'm surprised.

I'd say there will be lots more unexpected ones that don't announce until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why are folk retiring in Oct or Nov?

Surely it would make sense to retire at the end of the school year and allow time to appoint a repalcement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I know a lot of public servants who are retiring soon. Basically it is all the people I know who have their years done.

They were the people who enjoyed their jobs and were planning on enjoying a comfortable few more years at work. This has all been upended by Covid.

I know a few more public workers who are working from home. Second that changes they will be retiring.

Why wouldn't you retire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't know about the public sector but there are 2 guys in my company retiring in October. For them it seems to be weather related and the time changing.
    One of them mentioned about the onset of winter, poor weather, getting up on dark frosty mornings and leaving work in the dark etc. They both have 45 - 60 minute drives to work.
    They also can claim some tax back as they not working for the full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭Treppen

Surely it would make sense to retire at the end of the school year and allow time to appoint a repalcement?

Few things.

Increment is due in October. Pension is based on final salary. Not sure how that works exactly.

Appointing a replacement isn't a teacher's problem. School might want to kill off that subject or chop the permanent post into a few part time hours. In saying that, it's courtesy to let school know if you're retiring.

Also in education it's typical with the part time/sub churn to go recruiting very close to start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Treppen wrote: »
    Increment is due in October. Pension is based on final salary. Not sure how that works exactly.
    I thought they changed that? I thought it's on your average salary these days. Am I wrong? If so, I might retire myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

In 2003 the then PS workers voted on altering the pensions of the post 04 brigade. They have their 50% of final pay and can go after 35 years on full pension. The post 04 brigade won’t get their full pension until 68, no matter has many years service. So an extra 2% is great and of course they should take it.

If any teacher From your school is nearing Retirement and they are currently out sick, Ec levy them to be gone as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

RealJohn wrote: »
    I thought they changed that? I thought it's on your average salary these days. Am I wrong? If so, I might retire myself. :D

It's final salary for those on pre2013 pension schemes.

6 retiring from my former school apparently. Four of those unexpected - going at midterm. The other two had planned to go after the October restoration. I wouldn't be surprised if others are going but haven't announced it yet. Only 1 month notice required.

It's final salary for those on pre2013 pension schemes.

6 retiring from my former school apparently. Four of those unexpected - going at midterm. The other two had planned to go after the October restoration. I wouldn't be surprised if others are going but haven't announced it yet. Only 1 month notice required.

I think you’ll find it’s pre 2004. Post 04 get 1/80th of salary x 40. But only get the old age pension when they turn 68. So if they left at 62 after 40 years they’d have about 12k per year until they turn 68.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

doc_17 wrote: »
    I think you’ll find it’s pre 2004. Post 04 get 1/80th of salary x 40. But only get the old age pension when they turn 68. So if they left at 62 after 40 years they’d have about 12k per year until they turn 68.

I mean the calculation is done on final salary up to 2013 pension. The average salary calculation only applies to post-2013 pension. Yes, there is a deterioration in conditions for those on post 2004 scheme, but it is not calculated on average salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's 1995 that brought about the change in A1/D1 stamp. I started in September that year and am on A1. My friend did a bit of subbing before the summer while doing her dip and was lucky enough to stay on D1.

I mean the calculation is done on final salary up to 2013 pension. The average salary calculation only applies to post-2013 pension. Yes, there is a deterioration in conditions for those on post 2004 scheme, but it is not calculated on average salary.

I think it is. 1/80 of your salary added together for 40 years. That’s 40/80 ths and obviously the first 1/80 th is going to be less that the last one. We might be calling it different things but post 04 is sh*it compared to pre 04. How is the pension done for post 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think it is. 1/80 of your salary added together for 40 years. That’s 40/80 ths and obviously the first 1/80 th is going to be less that the last one. We might be calling it different things but post 04 is sh*it compared to pre 04. How is the pension done for post 2011?

Could be wrong but in simple terms my understanding is

Pre 04: awesome. Based on final salary, early retirement options and top ups until you hit retirement age

Post 04: still based on final salary but no early retirement options Unless actuarily reduces and I don’t believe there is top ups available if you do 40 years before your retirement age

Post 2011: rubbish for teachers. Based on career average so early years subbing have a massive impact on final pension. Also no Early retirement And no top ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Scorpio22

Thanks for the post, happy to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It might make more sense for the employer but not for the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Scorpio22

Is it just me or has anyone found the eservices/ registration with teaching council for further education is a bit neglected? It seems it is more suited for primary and post primary teachers but not F.E. teachers. A pal of mine and myself both have work experience in sectors such as care social care and early childhood care however this does not show on on our eserivices profile. I also have multiple qualifications at level 5 and 6 however these are also not listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

33 is the new 40! Anybody who clocks up 33yrs in my school is going

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

In 2003 the then PS workers voted on altering the pensions of the post 04 brigade. They have their 50% of final pay and can go after 35 years on full pension. The post 04 brigade won’t get their full pension until 68, no matter has many years service. So an extra 2% is great and of course they should take it.

If any teacher From your school is nearing Retirement and they are currently out sick, Ec levy them to be gone as well.

Incorrect. If they have 33 years served at 55, they go on 33/80 of final salary. They just have the option to go at 55 and have their pension paid out rather than waiting until 65.

So do pre-2004. The only difference in Post 95 - Pre 2004 and Post 2004 - Pre 2013 is the retirement age. Pre 2004 can go from 55 on and get pension immediately based on years served. They do not get a full pension if they do not have 40 years done. Post 2004 cannot get their pension until they are 65 regardless of how many years they have done.

Icsics wrote: »
    33 is the new 40! Anybody who clocks up 33yrs in my school is going

Two are going in my school. Actually they are gone, principal wasn't that pleasant about it, they turned up the first day to work out the 5 weeks, and the principal told them to leave and get certs for the month. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Two are going in my school. Actually they are gone, principal wasn't that pleasant about it, they turned up the first day to work out the 5 weeks, and the principal told them to leave and get certs for the month. :mad:

Principal encouraging fraud?

KaneToad wrote: »

Principal being a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

KaneToad wrote: »

She / He probably has his friends lined up for the hours, all nicely divided up to get as many bodies as possible hanging around clamouring for hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Incorrect. If they have 33 years served at 55, they go on 33/80 of final salary. They just have the option to go at 55 and have their pension paid out rather than waiting until 65.

So do pre-2004. The only difference in Post 95 - Pre 2004 and Post 2004 - Pre 2013 is the retirement age. Pre 2004 can go from 55 on and get pension immediately based on years served. They do not get a full pension if they do not have 40 years done. Post 2004 cannot get their pension until they are 65 regardless of how many years they have done.

So who has to wait until 68 to get pension?
    If i wait until 65 i will have 45 years done! Jesus Christ....

So even if i decide to go at 60 i can't get any pension at all (neither DES nor state) until 65/68?
    Started 2005. Was on system for the old better pre 2005 scheme but had a weekend job (fridays and saturdays) so ended up with a break in service. Could cry thinking about it.

Advertisement