Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dental Issues

• 24-09-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My dog has had his second dental in two years. They suspected he had rotten teeth at the back but it turned out his teeth were fine, they just had a lot of tartar build up. I’m looking for suggestions to keep his teeth clean. Has anyone had a pet with bad teeth that were better after using plaque-off? The vet nurse thinks it’s a gimmick. There is another product on zooplus called aquadent but it contains xylitol so I’m reluctant to try it. You add it to the dogs water.

He would not let me look in his mouth to see how antibiotics were working so I don’t fancy my chances of him letting me brush his teeth. Do dental chews actually work? My dog has never been a chewer but I’m willing to try again with chews if they are any good. Any recommendations for any particular ones? Would something like dried meat products work eg beef scalp/bull pizzel? He might be more inclined to chew something like that thats a bit tastier.

He’s 8 now and has had four anaesthetics in his life and has been perfectly fine after each one. I’m aware that he’s getting older though and this might not always be the case. It would be better if he didn’t need a dental every two years.

Thanks in advance,
    CB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hi guys,

My dog has had his second dental in two years. They suspected he had rotten teeth at the back but it turned out his teeth were fine, they just had a lot of tartar build up. I’m looking for suggestions to keep his teeth clean. Has anyone had a pet with bad teeth that were better after using plaque-off? The vet nurse thinks it’s a gimmick. There is another product on zooplus called aquadent but it contains xylitol so I’m reluctant to try it. You add it to the dogs water.

He would not let me look in his mouth to see how antibiotics were working so I don’t fancy my chances of him letting me brush his teeth. Do dental chews actually work? My dog has never been a chewer but I’m willing to try again with chews if they are any good. Any recommendations for any particular ones? Would something like dried meat products work eg beef scalp/bull pizzel? He might be more inclined to chew something like that thats a bit tastier.

He’s 8 now and has had four anaesthetics in his life and has been perfectly fine after each one. I’m aware that he’s getting older though and this might not always be the case. It would be better if he didn’t need a dental every two years.

Thanks in advance,
    CB.

I’ll be honest, we’ve had a go at every plaque teeth cleaning product out there including the plaque off and water tablets stuff. Definitely stay away from the xylitol as it’s been proven to be pretty toxic to dogs. The only thing that has ever helped is actually teaching them to let you brush the teeth. Esmae was young enough to train when she came to us and she’s always allowed me to manipulate her muzzle. I was still grieving about losing a very well loved pet to cancer that I’m pretty sure was linked to her terrible oral health, & I blamed myself for allowing it to happen.

I use plain water and a wee finger microfibre towel (I make them out the non printed ones you get in the super market).

She also gets a couple of small non weight baring bones a week, small rib or chicken wing, I think it helps as she has to use the back teeth to chomp.

Mr C though, he gets a dental yearly, just back from one yesterday, 8 out, 5 last year and probably the rest next year. It stinks but not much you can do if genetics are impacting the oral health, he won’t let us touch the teeth, doesn’t snap or growl, it’s just very uncomfortable for him and I feel sorry for him with all his other ailments, we just get his dental done yearly instead every 2 years as long as his little heart will take it.

I do give them both the Lilly’s Kitchen dental sticks, only because they really love them, but don’t believe they really stop the plaque / tarter build up. Hope that helps & hope your wee boy feels better soon. Em_cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How old is Mr. C em_cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I use Plaque Off on all of our cats and dogs
    My 12 year old dogs teeth were looking a bit worrysome - since the Plaque Off his teeth look really really clean. One of the cats, the vet said was worried about her teeth - shes on the P.Off and her teeth are MUCH improved - no mention of extractions since

Plaque Off is a seaweed extract that reacts with the saliva to prevent plaque build up - tests have proven that the seaweed Bacillus licheniformis prevents plaque sticking to teeth enamel - Im happy to keep using it

Thanks aonb, I’ve ordered it anyway and some beef scalp. If he doesn’t eat the beef scalp there’s plenty of other dogs here that will. I’ll give it a good try anyway and see how it goes.

How old is Mr. C em_cat?

He was 18 months or the rescue said, but we & the vet think he may have been nearer to 3 or 4 and that was 2017, so maybe about 6 or 7ish. He’s a yorkie cross with we don’t know...he acts as if he’s a wee pensioner some times...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've always felt that Plaque Off is useful after a dental... better at keeping tartar at bay than actually getting rid of deposits of it, if that makes sense? Certainly worth trying g as part of a general dental care regime.
    I'm not a fan of the dental chews at all, they are extremely calorific. I think the dried meat chews are a far better job, like the ones you list CB. The secret really is to have them do regular chewing-out-the-side-of-their-mouths chewing... you know, when they clamp the chew between their paws and really chow down on them?
    Softer raw bones such as chicken wings (for smaller dogs) and lamb ribs will do a similar job.

Yeah he won’t chew on bones at all and I don’t give them to him as he does try to swallow them whole! I will have a go with the beef scalp anyway. I suspect I’ll have to hold it for him at least at first anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on with it. I find it very hard, which puts some dogs off. The pizzle always seemed a good combo of chewable but not gone in seconds either! But... each dog to their own! If he'll get stuck into the scalp, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

My dogs teeth didn't look good when we got her at 6 years old. The vet cleaned them and removed two teeth and suggested using Dentisept.

That was 11 months ago and her teeth are still great looking and white. We do give her a dentist stick each night as well but I know people say they are pretty bad.

Anyway you put a blob off dentisept on her paw and she licks in off and spreads it around her teeth. Breath smells good as well. It's €13 at the vets.

My understanding (could be mistaken!) of dentals is, they open up the pores in the teeth making it easier and therefore more likely for plaque to build up on them again and they end up needing more dentals. So preferably you wouldn't get a young dogs teeth done unless truly necessary because you might have to keep them up for a very long time. It's also why right after a dental is the most important time to keep cleaning them yourself while the pores are most open. I find the plaque off works ok after a dental when the teeth are clean and helps prevent that initial rebuild of plaque. But as DBB said I don't think it does much for already dirty teeth.

My dogs will tolerate brushing for a very short time. So I can do a few teeth today and a few more tomorrow. But rarely a whole mouth! My mams dogs hate it but her vet suggested using a bit of cotton wool because it's that bit rough and does more in a few measly seconds than a finger brush or whatever.

My terrier has fantastic teeth but he's forever eating carrots (he's obsessed with them!) So I THINK that's why but honestly I think genes play a big part in teeth health! My other dogs like carrots too but eat them that bit faster. Non the less they have to chew. My lads swallow most stuff, e.g. chicken wings whole so it's a novelty to even hear them chewing! :D

• Advertisement

Mr C also loves carrots, but Esmae hates them unless I stick some peanut butter in it ( use a chop stick to drill a hole) . Will add, the bones are a post dinner thing though as if Esmae was totally empty she’d wolf it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d agree that it can be a genetic thing. Lucy had plaque on her teeth as early as one of her puppy checks! I always had problems keeping her canines clean but chews like pizzle, scalp, lamb skin etc helped. When they were all banned due to her kidneys she absolutely loved nylabones - yes I know that they’re plastic but it didn’t matter at that stage for her. We had wood chews also but they can be hit and miss with cracking and splintering. I did use Tropiclean gel too - she tolerated the peanut one more than the minty one.

I was passing a pet shop so went in and got some venison chews to see how he’d get on while I’m waiting on my order to come. So far he’s broken it up into smaller pieces and he’s having a good go of one of smaller bits. I imagine the beef scalp will be a lot harder but if all else fails I’ll get some more of these.

Well the beef scalp came today. I gave him one of the thinner pieces which he carried around for 15 mins first. He’s been licking and chewing at it now for 10 mins and hasn’t made much impact on it. How long should I let him go for before I take it from him? Also how often should he be given one of these pieces of scalp?

Had he had all of his meals for the day? Might not have been too hungry. I’d leave him with it for 30 minutes and then take it off him and try again the next day. Mr C I’d hit or miss with things like that, but Esmae will eat anything I give her.

Yes he had his dinner just before I gave it to him. He’s burried it underneath the sofa cushions now. 😄

Ah it may have been that just wasn’t hungry enough. Sure he might have a go later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

I use this Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste, seems to do the trick.

Ok I soaked the beef scalp in water and he’s making more progress with it now. I don’t know if it has the same teeth cleaning ability any more but ...

Ok 8 months later his teeth are almost as bad again. Plaque off hasn’t worked. Beef scalp hasn’t worked. He’s developed a heart murmur since last time so the vet is going to leave him be for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

Ok 8 months later his teeth are almost as bad again. Plaque off hasn’t worked. Beef scalp hasn’t worked. He’s developed a heart murmur since last time so the vet is going to leave him be for now.

Have a look at this

https://www.emmi-pet.com/

My dog's groomer uses this on his teeth, it has done a great job.

My dog won’t let anyone rummage around in his mouth. He had to be sedated last time just for the vet to have a proper look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Will he play tug.. and could you get some brushing done in stealth mode while he’s holding down on the toy? I have an emmi pet and while you’re not brushing you still need some cooperation holding it in place and then flicking the plaque off so no good for a dog you won’t let you near them.
    Have you tried raw meaty bones at all?

He’s never been interested in playing tug and has never been a chewer. Any size appropriate raw bones he just attempts to swallow whole! I’ve tried holding one end but he might lick at it but still won’t attempt to chew. The beef scalp is probably the best we can do but it has to be softened in water reducing its efficiency. I bought some purina chews but he’ll only have a go on them if he realises he’ll be skipping a meal and is being offered this thing instead. I might have a go at rewarding him with some chicken for putting my hand in his mouth see if he’ll compromise at all.

Advertisement