Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judicial dress

• 22-09-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Has there been a change in the code for judicial dress recently? Was in court and the judges seem to be wearing normal business attire rather than robes. I remember when compulsory wigs were done away with a few years ago there was quite a bit of coverage but there doesn't seem to be anything in the media suggesting any recent change.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Creol1 wrote: »
    Has there been a change in the code for judicial dress recently? Was in court and the judges seem to be wearing normal business attire rather than robes. I remember when compulsory wigs were done away with a few years ago there was quite a bit of coverage but there doesn't seem to be anything in the media suggesting any recent change.

Was it children's court or family court by any chance? I don't think they wear the robes and wigs etc.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There is no formal court dress during "vacation" and this applies to all courts, which can be a bit confusing because not all courts take these "vacations".

Basically, during certain periods in the year when the High Court does not normally sit (set out in the Terms and Sittings section of courts.ie), judges and barristers do not wear the formal court dress. So, they show up dressed in slightly less old fashioned way but still not quite modern business attire. The suits are still required to be dark in colour and shirts/ties appropriate to the gravity of a court room.

I would say that explains why you might have seen no robes etc. if it was very recent as the long vacation period is August and September (Easter, Whitsun and Christmas are also times where this strange rule applies).

As above, though, family and children's courts have slightly more relaxed attire throughout the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

There is no formal court dress during "vacation" and this applies to all courts, which can be a bit confusing because not all courts take these "vacations".

Basically, during certain periods in the year when the High Court does not normally sit (set out in the Terms and Sittings section of courts.ie), judges and barristers do not wear the formal court dress. So, they show up dressed in slightly less old fashioned way but still not quite modern business attire. The suits are still required to be dark in colour and shirts/ties appropriate to the gravity of a court room.

I would say that explains why you might have seen no robes etc. if it was very recent as the long vacation period is August and September (Easter, Whitsun and Christmas are also times where this strange rule applies).

As above, though, family and children's courts have slightly more relaxed attire throughout the year.

That explains it! I was scratching my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Will the learned judges and people of our judiciary system and courts ever get over their grieving for good Queen Anne? Departed these last 313 years from this life? That's where wearing black gowns originated from in our courts. Or so I'm led to believe?:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's far fresher a wound I'm afraid, it was adopted following the death of Prince Albert. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Capes...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I've seen in some sittings of the evening court that a judge will stroll in the main entrance to the court dressed in shirt and tie, quickly deal with whatever is in front of them and stroll back out again never creasing a robe or even entering the ante room!

Advertisement