Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda C50

Options
  • 14-09-2020 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I would love to get a Honda 50. I thought I couldn't ride one as I am on an AM licence. However I rang one insurance company and got an online quote from another and both classed the C50 as a Moped and so quoted me. Seems to me that once it's 49cc you're good to go. The 28 MPH limit doesn't seem to matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Well it would probably be the logbook that decides whether it's a motorcycle or a scooter. Getting a quote doesn't necessarily clarify this.

Also, something to look into, I remember someone on here pointed out that you need to have passed your test by a certain date to avoid having to do the IBT, even for a 50cc. I'm not 100% though as never had to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Yeah, I know about the licence thing. I did it in 1991 so I'm ok

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

crunchy62 wrote: »
    I would love to get a Honda 50. I thought I couldn't ride one as I am on an AM licence. However I rang one insurance company and got an online quote from another and both classed the C50 as a Moped and so quoted me. Seems to me that once it's 49cc you're good to go. The 28 MPH limit doesn't seem to matter

It's the other way around. The capacity doesn't matter it's a moped if it can't exceed 45kph
    AM Mopeds and tricycles with a maximum speed of 45kph and light quadricycles

Hmmm ... well all I can say is I questioned this with the insurance company and the guy said if the bike was 49cc he was happy to quote even though I have an AM licence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hmmm ... well all I can say is I questioned this with the insurance company and the guy said if the bike was 49cc he was happy to quote even though I have an AM licence

You don't have a licence to ride it if it exceeds 45kph regardless of the insurance company giving you a quote or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »
    You don't have a licence to ride it if it exceeds 45kph regardless of the insurance company giving you a quote or not.

Correct. The C50 is rated as being capable of 69kph, and as such doesn't allow for use on an AM licence.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

zubair wrote: »
    Well it would probably be the logbook that decides whether it's a motorcycle or a scooter. Getting a quote doesn't necessarily clarify this.

Nope.

The logbook does not decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

P.C. wrote: »
    Nope.

The logbook does not decide.

Thrilled you made a cameo for that helpful response.

I know you're all factually correct about the licence but as it's a classic and would only be ridden the odd day during good weather I'd say the chances of the guards pulling ye are slim

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

And in the event of an accident with likely no insurance cover how would you explain this logic to the victim or your family when you may have to pay out huge sums that you might not have. Do the training, get the licence. Its the cheapest thing you'll do. Too many chancers out there already on imaginary honda fifty licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know you're all factually correct about the licence but as it's a classic and would only be ridden the odd day during good weather I'd say the chances of the guards pulling ye are slim

The motorcycling community really, really needs more fine upstanding citizens with this sort of attitude :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The motorcycling community really, really needs more fine upstanding citizens with this sort of attitude :rolleyes:

I have a honda 50 with 3 speed auto transmission. I believe these may have been officially classed as a moped in uk anyway.
    Its a 1982 c50 lac

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have a look at our flag

Just because I said it doesn't mean I'd do it but the what I said is still probably true. BTW I've already applied for the the theory test

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Just because I said it doesn't mean I'd do it but the what I said is still probably true. BTW I've already applied for the the theory test

Good man (I assume), you honestly won't regret it! I reckon after doing the IBT you won't want to limit yourself to a Honda 50 ;)

Advertisement