Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter thinking of deferring

Options
  • 02-09-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hi! my daughter is thinking of accepting then deferring her place until next year. I don't understand the deferral system too well. Does this mean she will have the place next year at the same points as this year - she is worried that if she doesn't take a place this year, students coming out next year will have higher points due to be able to study properly for LC. I would be grateful if someone could explain the deferral process to me, and what exactly it means. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Barbeapapa

Out of interest, why does she think this years 6th years will have a better stab at the leaving? They have missed 16% of course time so far with more course time on tenterhooks. They have been promised one extra choice in their leaving cert questions no matter how much they miss of course work this year.

I think LC 2020 are better off than LC 2021 are likely to be, and also likely to be better off than LC 2019 who are applying this year to third level.

In her position I would go for what I want (ie defer) and forget about what might be. Everyone is affected by Covid one way or another and most of us have to accept that circumstances beyond our control have changed our future and go with it. No one can tell her with any certainty whether it will be a mistake to defer or not. The one thing she can do is choose her path and in this case that is deferring.

Advertisement