Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your worst ever race?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

u12 cross country leinster championships. we took off in a quagmire of mud and my spikes came off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭The Davestator

First Dublin Marathon in 2002. Was working as a fitness instructor, and though 'how hard can it be?'

Was at a wedding drinking pints on the Saturday, McDonalds etc on Sunday and rocked up at the start on Monday with a ziploc bag of talcum powder and an apple.

Got to half way in 2 hours on the button feeling good and was still wondering how hard could it be.

Stopped for a stretch shortly after, pulled everything and the second half took me... 4 HOURS!

Finish time of 5:59 which was a fluke as I didn't even have a watch on!

Met friends and family in the Mont Clare hotel, but couldnt go down the stairs for a wee, so just went home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Talcum powder? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah what was that for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Murph_D wrote: »
    Talcum powder? :confused:

I was more worried about chaffing than actually finishing the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

First Dublin Marathon in 2002. Was working as a fitness instructor, and though 'how hard can it be?'

Was at a wedding drinking pints on the Saturday, McDonalds etc on Sunday and rocked up at the start on Monday with a ziploc bag of talcum powder and an apple.

Got to half way in 2 hours on the button feeling good and was still wondering how hard could it be.

Stopped for a stretch shortly after, pulled everything and the second half took me... 4 HOURS!

Finish time of 5:59 which was a fluke as I didn't even have a watch on!

Met friends and family in the Mont Clare hotel, but couldnt go down the stairs for a wee, so just went home.

Planning a bit of weightlifting after were ya....:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

Melbourne marathon in 2018. Debut was Perth 2017 in 3:34 so thought with some coaching and training properly could go well.

Got the coach and got stuck in, lots of strength training as well as running. Mrs is a physio and former Kona athlete so in safe hands.

A few weeks from the race, coach sets a 5k TT to see where I am at. 19:09 at a parkrun but I told him it was short, real time was 19:24. Big row follows and he says its 19:09, end of discussion. Off the back of tht says 3:10 is the goal for the mara.

Flew to Melb from Perth with the family and spent way too much time on my feet doing family stuff on the Saturday. 20k steps or something crazy like that.

Day of the race and it’s a tram to the city from my mates and a good bit of walking to the start line. Took off doing prescribed pace and thought I’m going well, passed herself maybe 5k in and she looks at me oddly with a questionly hand gesture. I can’t figure out what the fuss is, my splits have been a second or so either side of perfect. Then I notice the marker on the side of the road is about 500m after the beep for the next split. Melb mara course is shït house. All doubling back on yourself.

Out to the coast and I knew I was in deep doo-doo. My mate was planning a 3:20 and every time we had to do another u turn I could see him gaining ground. Eventually the walk of shame at the aid stations started. Back towards the city and it was getting very hot. I work in the Pilbara, a desolate hot hell hole but I was cooking. Luckily some kind folks had started to hand out sooper doopers (mr freeze) and I grabbed one.

Everyone talks about getting to finish in the MCG, how it’s so great. They had ply wood down on the grass and it is the only time I’ve ever gotten a cramp running, the little give it in made my shagged legs wobble. Mrs and co were in the stand and she reckons she could see I was devastated on the big screen as I came through the tunnel.

After the race you can’t just meet who is waiting. You have to go outside and try and organise meeting point, something I hadn’t realised. Had to borrow a strangers phone and call herself to try and battle through the mob.

The walk back through the throngs and tram home was torture. Haven’t done a mara since. Herself is turning 40 this weekend and wants to do 40k for it. Maybe I’ll do the extra 2.2 if I’m not Mr Soft by the time we are done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

So....what time did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

So....what time did you get?
    3:40 in melb.

Yesterday did the 40 for 40 birthday social run
    3:35, nearly exactly 2 years since melb and 5 mins faster. Was great to run without the pressure of racing. That’s moving time as there was a few stops to pick up people who didn’t want to do the full distance and some water stops as it got a bit warm towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Different ways of looking at it..

"Worst Race" - Connemara 2016; decent sunny [but cold] start, first 10k or so was ok. I was just ahead of 4 hour pacers i think. Then starts crazy wind, sideways hail shooting at my eyes. Looking back now I a touch undertrained, had only done one or two proper long runs. But I was doing the whole thing for mental health and only wanted sub-4 anyway - so in second half of the race when I was suffering anyway, it was made a million times worse by said sideways hail and strong wind. It was made a lot worse by seeing 500ml bottles of lucazade sport on the ground with a single mouth full gone from them [****ing Conn half runners!!!] - when I was at deaths door. It was actually proper dangerous day, I rememer thinking if this was Dublin or a city marathon I would have dropped out - but did not in Connemera as I kept seeing 100 marathon club folks stopping or in mop up vehicles and I did not want to take the place of someone with hyperthermia !!

Seriously finished, the hotel there was jammed and I had a change of clothes but virtually nowhere to sit etc - just a yuck day all around.

My worst race - easy, my first DCM [2011]. Long story but I had lost loads of weight, got into running. Went for DCM, had raised a bucket of money for charity [note for history, raised the money for Console, who's founders "allegedly" just spent/stole all the money] - had trained really well. I look back I was running with the boards folk every weekend, going to club sessions. I was a rock star!! I was carrying a knee injury going into the race, but wanted 3.45, secondary goal of Sub-4. I was going well for 3.45 I think [there is a 5 or 6 page race report in my log somewhere!]. But injury came back in second half of the race. I was *crushed* when the 4 hour group passed me, and I was going backwards fast. I still think about that moment when I see the UCD flyover!! I finished at 4.08; but did not go for beers, went home and took a couple of weeks to get over it truth be told.

All is well as I did Paris the following April in 3.45 and weas elated and thrilled with myself and Berlin that September missing out on 3.30; with 3.38; and even tho the last 10k were agony, the different mindset I had meant I was really happy with the PB and I knew all the positives I could and should take from from!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Slideways wrote: »
    3:40 in melb.

Yesterday did the 40 for 40 birthday social run
    3:35, nearly exactly 2 years since melb and 5 mins faster. Was great to run without the pressure of racing. That’s moving time as there was a few stops to pick up people who didn’t want to do the full distance and some water stops as it got a bit warm towards the end.

Nice one. It's awful when things start to go wrong. It's not just one thing it’s an entire domino effect.

I was supposed to run Athens in November but it has been cancelled. Being coached for sub 3:30- BP is 3:37 in Manchester 2 years ago with absolutely zero coaching and 3-4 runs a week on my own and that was including about 5 trips to the toilets so I should comfortably manage sub 3:30 perhaps closer to 3:20 as I have had a coach setting my weekly runs x 5 times a week via Training Peaks.

I am training/long runs comfortably at 7:25- 7:40 min/miles BUT (and it is a massive but)…we all know that is easier said than done on the day.

Did a 3hr training run last weekend and comfortably managed 36km including a 2 minute fuel stop plus 15 minute warm up and 15 min cool down on a hilly course. Still going to run a marathon the weekend of the 7/8 Nov but just not sure where yet.

Advertisement