Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Racing Post

Options
  • 15-05-2017 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭

I don't subscribe to the Racing Post website.
    The "Essential" is £14.50 a month and the Ultimate is £26 a month.
    At the moment about 80% of the RP website is hidden behind these subscriptions.

Does anyone here pay for these? Are they worth it?

I spend at least €1,000 a year on racing books, but I keep these books and can read them many times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

diomed wrote: »
    I don't subscribe to the Racing Post website.
    The "Essential" is £14.50 a month and the Ultimate is £26 a month.
    At the moment about 80% of the RP website is hidden behind these subscriptions.

Does anyone here pay for these? Are they worth it?

I spend at least €1,000 a year on racing books, but I keep these books and can read them many times.

I got a trial month a while back and couldn't believe people were actually paying for it. Horsetrackers are free in many other places, pedigrees can be seen elsewhere and you can get much more comprehensive and useful statistical databases for cheaper elsewhere. Now RPRs are free for everyone too.

Thought it was a complete rip off but maybe its changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I have a subscription but I won't be renewing when it expires. The reason is the awful new website that has been made much harder to navigate, and has removed vital data and statistics. When I complained, I was told that my complaint was a minority and that the vast majority of customers approved of the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Dislike the new site and many others do too judging by a few forums discussing the subject. I did speak to rp reps and was told that people will get used to it. I don't have a subscription and agree more and more is now hidden but what I find most irritating is the volume of pop up adds when you hit the site, it's got out of control. Thankfully, there are free alternatives out there.

The marketing team at rp are young so probably a little defensive when it comes to handling complaints.

BumperD wrote: »
    I don't have a subscription and agree more and more is now hidden
    There are things that have been removed from the paid version, or else split across multiple pages (when they would have all been on the one page before) making it a pain in the arse to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Don't like their new design either, results are a lot harder to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I've never paid for it. :) The new website is horrible, especially navigating around the results section. I enter the website through the old Bloodstock section which is in the old deskstop style and it lets you look at stallion tables, racecards and the day's results in the old format but trying to get detailed results brings you off to the new website and all the messing that goes with it. I'm now much more fond of the Irish Racing site and atr and ruk than I used to be and could live without the RP at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

New site is cat.

Change is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

New site is getting ripped to shreds on twitter on a daily basis but the powers that be are ignoring the criticism. I suspect its a money issue. Shame cos Millington the editor is a decent bloke. The podcasts are good. Once race displays start being on digital screens in shops, the end is near id say for the paper version itself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I wouldn't subscribe to anything that involves that c*nt Bruce Millington!

Not even bought the paper in years, nothing but bookmaker's apologists!

Ive met Millington on a few occasions and hes very sound. Just a happy go lucky punter that likes most sports, just happens to have a high profile job. I suspect its the strong English accent and turn of phrases he has more than anything else that puts Irish people off him

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ive met Millington on a few occasions and hes very sound. Just a happy go lucky punter that likes most sports, just happens to have a high profile job. I suspect its the strong English accent and turn of phrases he has more than anything else that puts Irish people off him

Didn't he write an article lately basically saying how FOBTS were a good thing, again looking out for his mates in the bookmaking fraternity.

2 weeks ago they had a Q&A with that absolute cretin, The Racing blogger. Guy is f*cking clueless and knows nothing about racing yet the trade paper saw fit to publish it (and apparently it was full of his bullsh*t too)

BM seems to shut down any criticism of himself on Betfair forum too, any article with a hint of criticism is gone before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

kfallon wrote: »
    Didn't he write an article lately basically saying how FOBTS were a good thing, again looking out for his mates in the bookmaking fraternity.

2 weeks ago they had a Q&A with that absolute cretin, The Racing blogger. Guy is f*cking clueless and knows nothing about racing yet the trade paper saw fit to publish it (and apparently it was full of his bullsh*t too)

BM seems to shut down any criticism of himself on Betfair forum too, any article with a hint of criticism is gone before you know it.

He recently had 200 on a fav @ 1/5 in a 2 horse race :pac::pac:

He recently had 200 on a fav @ 1/5 in a 2 horse race :pac::pac:

I wish I could go back 2-3 months to when I was oblivious to that muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The most annoying thing I've noticed it not being able to filter on a horses wins like you were previously able to. It's handy to see quickly what ratings a horse has won off, the ground etc.

Edit: Actually just realized you can sort on the column headers in the form view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Whats wrong with the new site?

His idea on the FOBT's is just that shops will close when they go and this will hurt racing.I don't necessarily agree but I don't think the point is invalid. Should we be worrying about these addicts over there when theyre just going to go online instead and do their brains there, in a place that doesnt help racing. Not sure who exactly the mates are he's helping out in the bookmaking fraternity? Dermot Desmond? Hills shareholders? PP want FOBT's gone asfaik and Freds are barely a footprint now.

I agree with the blogger thing, fking idiotic, but i'd imagine that was the bright idea of young lad in marketing. Even RUK are giving the blogger air time now. There's a vocal minority that im sure you follow also that realise he's a muppet, but we're a very small group numbers wise really. Not sure how BM has an "in" with Betfair though? Havent heard that said before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Not sure how BM has an "in" with Betfair though? Havent heard that said before

Have a look on the Betfair forum, you will soon see

Perhaps even better, start a thread saying RP gone downhill, website harder to navigate, cannot see racecards any more and need to subscribe, then set your watch as to how long it lasts

Nulty wrote: »

I've worked for large online businesses and on major site redevelopments in the past.

Whenever you change anything you get a large number of people moaning and screaming about it, suggesting that nobody in the business knows what they are doing, etc etc. It is inevitable.

My own thoughts on the site are mixed, but in a lot of ways it is much clearer and easier to read. The cards are certainly cleaner, and most importantly of all (and I suspect this was the motive behind the refresh) it works on mobile. It was embarrassing that the RP didn't have a responsive website in 2017. They've fixed it.

I don't subscribe but I use the app / site most days and occasionally pick up a copy at the weekend, particularly if I am actually going racing for the day. It isn't perfect but I would prefer it to exist than not exist.

His idea on the FOBT's is just that shops will close when they go and this will hurt racing.I don't necessarily agree but I don't think the point is invalid. Should we be worrying about these addicts over there when theyre just going to go online instead and do their brains there, in a place that doesnt help racing.

Maybe the bookmakers might actually go back to being, ya know, bookmakers? How about that for a thought? Take some decent bets on racing/football and not try to get people to bet on FOBTs, Virtual sh*te, Rapido and all that kind of rubbish where they know the odds are stacked in their favour.

The man is a parasite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

The At the Races website is a reasonable substitute for the racing side (no pedigree side) without blocked content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Maybe the bookmakers might actually go back to being, ya know, bookmakers? How about that for a thought? Take some decent bets on racing/football and not try to get people to bet on FOBTs, Virtual sh*te, Rapido and all that kind of rubbish where they know the odds are stacked in their favour.

The man is a parasite!

They won't. It'll just mean everything will go online and they can track and limit shrewd punters more efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I appreciate your romantic view of things but your basically saying they should stop one of their main streams of income and focus on areas with less profit. That is nonsense no business/industry would do that by choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Only site I would ever consider paying subs for is https://www.geegeez.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Paying for the paper is bad enough nevermind the online subscription. The RP is a bookies mouthpiece run by an editor who hasn't the first notion about the industry whilst the paper is full of so called experts who in the majority don't even keep a p&l. Millingtons piece on the fobts showed once and for all where his loyalty lies and it isn't on the side those poor fools who pay money for RPs "service".

lemush wrote: »
    Paying for the paper is bad enough nevermind the online subscription. The RP is a bookies mouthpiece run by an editor who hasn't the first notion about the industry whilst the paper is full of so called experts who in the majority don't even keep a p&l. Millingtons piece on the fobts showed once and for all where his loyalty lies and it isn't on the side those poor fools who pay money for RPs "service".
    Sorry, but that is ridiculous. Tipsters columns, editorials, and PR puff pieces are like 10% of the content. I agree those bits are useless (I never read them anyway), it's the other 90% of the content (statistics, breeding, cards) that holds the real value. If you're really into the flat racing where there's often no form to go by and you're reliant on breeding, then I think unless you pay for content like the RP, or have some other source of your own, then you're really betting blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

On the money.

or have some other source of your own, then you're really betting blind.

Bingo, plenty of other sources available for what you just mentioned, RP offers zero value for money. Anyone paying for it is off their head imo.

Bingo, plenty of other sources available for what you just mentioned, RP offers zero value for money. Anyone paying for it is off their head imo.
    Please tell me where I can get the equivalent of what's available on the RP website for £12 a month....

Please tell me where I can get the equivalent of what's available on the RP website for £12 a month....

The question should be is 12 quid a month value for what you receive? If you believe so then more power to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Nulty wrote: »

I've worked for large online businesses and on major site redevelopments in the past.

Whenever you change anything you get a large number of people moaning and screaming about it, suggesting that nobody in the business knows what they are doing, etc etc. It is inevitable.

My own thoughts on the site are mixed, but in a lot of ways it is much clearer and easier to read. The cards are certainly cleaner, and most importantly of all (and I suspect this was the motive behind the refresh) it works on mobile. It was embarrassing that the RP didn't have a responsive website in 2017. They've fixed it.

I don't subscribe but I use the app / site most days and occasionally pick up a copy at the weekend, particularly if I am actually going racing for the day. It isn't perfect but I would prefer it to exist than not exist.
    Yep

Advertisement