Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Projected cut is +7, theres no worry about the cut line for Shane.

I don’t think +7 is guaranteed, but +6 is starting to look pretty safe. Mind you, there’s still 65 players on +5 or better, with only 60 plus ties making the cut, so it’s not absolutely guaranteed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

abff wrote: »
    I don’t think +7 is guaranteed, but +6 is starting to look pretty safe. Mind you, there’s still 65 players on +5 or better, with only 60 plus ties making the cut, so it’s not absolutely guaranteed yet.

Players at +6 have absolutely nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cut is at +5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

The US Open website are using average hole scores to predict what scores players will finish on to estimate the cut.

The cut is currently +5 but they are predicting it will go out to +7

1 bad shot away from the right person to go to +6 now

Players at +6 have absolutely nothing to be worried about.

You’re probably right, but I’m not totally convinced that the TV channel has allowed for the fact that the cut for this event is top 60 plus ties.

At this stage, +6 looks pretty safe, but +7 is still in the balance.

You’re probably right, but I’m not totally convinced that the TV channel has allowed for the fact that the cut for this event is top 60 plus ties.

At this stage, +6 looks pretty safe, but +7 is still in the balance.

"Pretty safe"? There is no concern there at all. Currently 54th.

Tied 56th according to the PGA Tour website. But I agree that the cut is only going to go in one direction, which is good news for Shane.

I’m not sure I would have been quite so confident over an hour ago, when you posted that players at +6 had absolutely nothing to be worried about.

Tied 56th according to the PGA Tour website. But I agree that the cut is only going to go in one direction, which is good news for Shane.

I’m not sure I would have been quite so confident over an hour ago, when you posted that players at +6 had absolutely nothing to be worried about.

But they didn't. +6 had nothing to worry about 4 hours ago.

Also, the PGA Tour don't run this event so their leaderboard is just a delayed feed. USGA for the up to date leaderboard. 52nd now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

There’s a dedicated US Open app. They’ve had the projected cut on it all day using the average scores on the holes to estimate it. They had it at +7 at one stage a few hours ago but it’s at +6 now.

I think Lowry was just inside the top 90 when he finished and looks like he’ll comfortably make the cut. That was a seriously impressive round today especially since he kept going and made the birdies when he really had to.

Terrible start by Shane today. Bogey on the first followed by a triple bogey on the second.

Now at 13 over after a double bogey and another triple bogey. If I’m reading the website correctly, he took 5 to get down from 42 feet at the 17th. What the hell happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Let's hope getting back on this island for the Irish Open next week brings a positive change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

After making the cut on the number, it was either 68 or 80 for the 3rd round. Sadly it was closer to the latter.

Come home Shane. Nothing like an Irish open trophy for the mantle piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Lowry struggling albeit in very tricky conditions in Galgorm Castle. 4 over through 10 holes and in a battle to get his round and tournament back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's been out of form since winning the Open.
    Hopefully he gets back on track soon.

A very disappointing 5 over 75 for the 2019 Open champion. As Eagle eye has pointed out, we all hope that Shane can get his game back again in the not too distant future. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Just get a few putts to drop and improve his wedge game from 120 yards in and Shane will return competing in top form in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭sailing

The exemptions his Open win have given him has probably allowed him to take his foot off the gas a little. He’ll struggle enormously when they run out. He’s at an age and experience level where he should have been able to kick on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I just find he struggles on PGA Tour in general with the odd good week and thus his form drops.

Maybe a few weeks back in Europe will help build his confidence.

Any drop in form on PGA tour your are missing cuts and down on fedex rankings.

Standard is to high to play ok and get by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Skipping Wentworth and not playing in Europe for a few weeks. Just two top 10s since Portrush, hopefully gets back to his best after a break.

• Advertisement

I don't like to criticise but he was on fire in the British open and if that was me I'd have been straight over to the Fed-Ex Cup the next week but he gave it a miss and went on the beer for a week.
    I think he's missing the discipline and hunger to make the most of his talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't like to criticise but he was on fire in the British open and if that was me I'd have been straight over to the Fed-Ex Cup the next week but he gave it a miss and went on the beer for a week.
    I think he's missing the discipline and hunger to make the most of his talents.

This kinda thing, and the previous comment by another poster about his weight wrecks my head. He does more from a fitness and practice perspective in a couple of days than most normal people could manage in a week.

Yep he’s clearly not got the physique of Rory or Brooks or DJ, but he’s won a major, a WGC and a bunch of higher end European tour events doing it his way with his body shape. There was a time about 5/6 years back he did get overly heavy, but he snapped out of that and when you see him in the flesh he looks quite athletic compared to the normal Joe soap, just not next to the modern tour pro.

Talk like someone had above that he will struggle when his exemptions run out, like in all fairness, he has 4 more years of exemptions to all the majors, and he’s won enough money on both tours to probably not have to worry about getting invites for at least 5 more years even if his form did fall off a cliff. He has had fallow periods before and never failed to come back. He has changed driver, and spent the last 2 months in America away form his wife and child, whilst still being respectable with his scoring.

Though he comes across as being very well liked, I feel sometimes like the Irish golfing public see him as a bit of a lazy beer hound who takes it easy and turns up once a year with a big performance, and then goes back to just slapping it around the course 30 weeks a year and going for scoops and a burger after. Nothing could be further form the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This kinda thing, and the previous comment by another poster about his weight wrecks my head. He does more from a fitness and practice perspective in a couple of days than most normal people could manage in a week.

Why compare him to a normal person though?
    Compare him to elite golfers, unless you are happy for him to perform like a normal person on the golf course...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

GreeBo wrote: »
    Why compare him to a normal person though?
    Compare him to elite golfers, unless you are happy for him to perform like a normal person on the golf course...

I’m highlighting to keyboard warriors that accuse him of not working hard enough that he works harder than they will ever know. Just because he isnt ripped doesn’t mean he isn’t fit enough and strong enough to compete, and people using that as an accusation are being lazy in the comparison.

If you’ve ever heard Robbie Cannon speak about his fitness levels and capabilities you’ll know he does the work that needs to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I’m highlighting to keyboard warriors that accuse him of not working hard enough that he works harder than they will ever know. Just because he isnt ripped doesn’t mean he isn’t fit enough and strong enough to compete, and people using that as an accusation are being lazy in the comparison.

If you’ve ever heard Robbie Cannon speak about his fitness levels and capabilities you’ll know he does the work that needs to be done

He did go on the piss for a week though. I like this about him. I'm not too bothered about consistency. He gave me a brilliant few days at the Open last year.

But the really seriously applied guys, you wouldn't see that. No way Bryson goes on the piss last Sunday. Or Brooks or JT etc. Shane is what he is, a fantastic bloke with amazing ability, who works hard on his game, knows how to have a good time, is overnight etc. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

He made it to the top 70 in the pga tour playoffs (BMW was it?) having played the third or fourth fewest events of anyone that made it. His form wasn’t that bad, even if he hasn’t competed for victory too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone watching his documentary on RTE1? Very interesting watch so far

I never mentioned his physique. I mentioned something that actually happened which is him going on the beer for a week after winning the Open. I said if it was me I'd have been on a plane over to play in the Fed-ex and I'd have celebrated at a more suitable time.
    That whole episode showed a lack of discipline and hunger.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I never mentioned his physique. I mentioned something that actually happened which is him going on the beer for a week after winning the Open. I said if it was me I'd have been on a plane over to play in the Fed-ex and I'd have celebrated at a more suitable time.
    That whole episode showed a lack of discipline and hunger.

I think you're right, to an extent. In our own world, if you win the captains prize and there is another club major the next week, some people qoukd be out keeping the chipping, putting, driving sharp, determined to keep the roll going. Or, it it was Sunday, and work tomorrow, you'd take it easy.

On the other hand, if something happened to you that was so big, something that you never really imagined would happen, something your kids kids would be known for, and would set you up and change your life forever...and you love enjoying life....then you might just say fck it.

He probably knew himself that he'd struggle to give a sh1t in the FedEx, which made going there worthless. Whether that is a lack of discipline or hunger, or something else, is a subjective thing really.

I think you're right, to an extent. In our own world, if you win the captains prize and there is another club major the next week, some people qoukd be out keeping the chipping, putting, driving sharp, determined to keep the roll going. Or, it it was Sunday, and work tomorrow, you'd take it easy.

On the other hand, if something happened to you that was so big, something that you never really imagined would happen, something your kids kids would be known for, and would set you up and change your life forever...and you love enjoying life....then you might just say fck it.

He probably knew himself that he'd struggle to give a sh1t in the FedEx, which made going there worthless. Whether that is a lack of discipline or hunger, or something else, is a subjective thing really.

Won the captains myself recently.
    Went on the beer for a few days.
    Another club major the following week......... won it :D
    Got some nice cuts to the handicap.
    .1back every singles game since :(

Ever hear of something called form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

The likes of Brooks JT and Rory are like robots and if Shane was slimmer there wouldn't even be a mention of him going on the beer. But rest assured Id say hes fitter than most and most pros. A lot of Pro's dont even do the gym but because their physic is slim, theres not a word.. Plus how do we know the others dont? It was and probably will be the biggest achievement of his career. What he dreamed about as a kid! why on earth wouldn't he celebrate it! It wouldn't be the same celebrating at a later stage as the Europa would of passed.

Like when City lost and Liverpool won the league :D It was a Thursday night I went on the piss stayed up drinking and dancing till 5 in the morning with work the next day! When we actually lifted the trophy I only had a few beers as the moment had passed.

Its the ones that dont celebrate and travel or are playing the next day that drive me nuts! Life is to short..

benny79 wrote: »
    The likes of Brooks JT and Rory are like robots and if Shane was slimmer there wouldn't even be a mention of him going on the beer. But rest assured Id say hes fitter than most and most pros. A lot of Pro's dont even do the gym but because their physic is slim, theres not a word.. Plus how do we know the others dont? It was and probably will be the biggest achievement of his career. What he dreamed about as a kid! why on earth wouldn't he celebrate it! It wouldn't be the same celebrating at a later stage as the Europa would of passed.

Like when City lost and Liverpool won the league :D It was a Thursday night I went on the piss stayed up drinking and dancing till 5 in the morning with work the next day! When we actually lifted the trophy I only had a few beers as the moment had passed.

Its the ones that dont celebrate and travel or are playing the next day that drive me nuts! Life is to short..

"When we lifted the trophy", amazing that we have a Liverpool player on boards :)

"When we lifted the trophy", amazing that we have a Liverpool player on boards :)

Another one here actually:D

And here. YNWA. Looks like half the team may be here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And here. YNWA. Looks like half the team may be here...

Well 'pool supporters and golfers have a lot in common...years of disappointment broken up with flashes of occasional brilliance that lead to a false sense of ability and expectation :pac:

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well 'pool supporters and golfers have a lot in common...years of disappointment broken up with flashes of occasional brilliance that lead to a false sense of ability and expectation :pac:

Ah here, no need for that!

Jesus, Lowry three putts from a few feet to bogey a par 5.

Shane with two of the most horrendous de-cels of a putting strokes of the year so far there at 10th in the second round of the Irish open.

A three putt from 4 and a half feet for a bogey 6. Back to plus 7, with 8 holes remaining of his second round. Two off the projected 5 over cutline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Trampas

He’ll be desperate to finish tonight so doesn’t need to come back tomorrow to finish his round to miss the cut it looks like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Trampas wrote: »
    He’ll be desperate to finish tonight so doesn’t need to come back tomorrow to finish his round to miss the cut it looks like

Seemed to be waiting on every tee, play was slow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Needs to make an eagle 3 at the last to make the cut. He will be kicking himself big style, with what happened at 10 today. Sums up his game at this moment, too many silly mistakes and poor putting from short range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

When Bo Martin became Shane's caddy it was deemed a great move, but even he doesn't appear to be able to get any consistency into Shane's game right now.

When Bo Martin became Shane's caddy it was deemed a great move, but even he doesn't appear to be able to get any consistency into Shane's game right now.

And his old caddie Dermot Byrne was on the bag for Kilkenny amateur Mark Power, who made three birdies in his last 5 holes, to more than likely make the cut on the number at 5 over.

In complete darkness, Lowry just managed to finish round two. Sadly no eagle for the 2019 Open champion, so he will miss the cut by 2 shots, at 7 over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Up North working for Sky. Was covering Shane's group on the third tee. Hit his drive left into trees. No green flag from marshalls. He proceeded to hit three provisionals after that, two way left until he found the fairway with the third. Very, very lucky Cotzea found his first ball.

Walking off the tee, not knowing his ball would be found he says to the lads "...... and I have to go and talk to the media after this".

Wombatman wrote: »
    Up North working for Sky. Was covering Shane's group on the third tee. Hit his drive left into trees. No green flag from marshalls. He proceeded to hit three provisionals after that, two way left until he found the fairway with the third. Very, very lucky Cotzea found his first ball.

Walking off the tee, not knowing his ball would be found he says to the lads "...... and I have to go and talk to the media after this".

Wow wombatman! If Coetzee as you said didn't find his ball, with his drive at 3, then he could be looking at a double digit score on that hole.

How was his mood. Was he any chatty?

How did you get the gig from sky, in Galgorm this week, wombatman? You are a very lucky person indeed, fair play to you for getting the attention of sky in the first place!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

New Era wrote: »
    Wow wombatman! If Coetzee as you said didn't find his ball, with his drive at 3, then he could be looking at a double digit score on that hole.

How was his mood. Was he any chatty?

How did you get the gig from sky, in Galgorm this week, wombatman? You are a very lucky person indeed, fair play to you for getting the attention of sky in the first place!!

His mood was pretty good actually. I think he was resigned to not making the cut but you could see he was still trying his best.

Bo was a little too passive throughout the whole affair on the 3rd.

Have worked as a TV assistant for the last 7 Irish Opens. Had forgotten about it after it was cancelled earlier in the year but got a late call up two weeks ago out of the blue. Have to do a full Covid test before being allowed into the "bio-secure bubble". Only allowed to be at course or in hotel between now and Sunday evening.

Walking the fairways with a mic this year to pick up player and caddie chats and swing sounds.

They are under reading the greens big time and also struggling with the wind.

Course in great condition for the time of year. Pure fairways and greens. They bearly need preferred lies. Could never host a proper Irish Open, with fans, as transport and parking would be a disaster.

Witnessed a player trying to get relief where a buggy drove through rough. He was claiming machinery tracks. Called judge over who promptly told him where to go. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried to claim relief from push trolley tracks through rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Shane not playing for 6 weeks now it seems from his statement to rte

"Sometimes you need a break. That might help me. I’ve got three tournaments left this season (the Houston Open, Masters and RSM Classic) .

I guess he feels he needs to find his game and with a scorecard isn't the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Shane not playing for 6 weeks now it seems from his statement to rte

"Sometimes you need a break. That might help me. I’ve got three tournaments left this season (the Houston Open, Masters and RSM Classic) .

I guess he feels he needs to find his game and with a scorecard isn't the place

I love Shane .

But is it just a misjudgment by me ? he seems to play just way too little golf.

Is he much lower on tournament count ?

I love Shane .

But is it just a misjudgment by me ? he seems to play just way too little golf.

Is he much lower on tournament count ?

He plays more golf than pretty much everyone else in the worlds top 50.

Great to have so many experts on Shane's golf and his life in general.

Getting as bad as the Rory thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement