Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversations on Head Sets at Work

Options
  • 25-09-2020 1:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 41

So first of all the way these things work, is that you push a button to talk and everyone can hear you, but only the person who then pushes the button on their own headset can talk back to you, and then everyone can hear both of these people converse.

So at first I thought it was interesting, as you get to hear the way your colleagues talk to each other. You get a sense for who's higher status. But a lot of the time people are trying to save face, or one up each other. For example, one guy kept getting asked to do things by other colleagues who weren't managers. It was a grey area as to whether it was or wasn't his job to do these tasks, but to someone else listening in, it might just seem like he's a pushover who'll do whatever you ask. I'm guessing he didn't like that others could hear him being asked of these tasks because eventually he said "will people leave me alone?". Then the manager joined in the conversation and said "welcome to my world". He quickly replied "you get paid for it". The manager gave out a little, but he sorted had to take it because he was the one who butted in.

But then after a while with these head sets, it's like you're being forced to eaves drop. The voices you hear most of course are the managers; and if you don't like a particular manager, then they'll constantly be in your head. I also don't think it's right that everyone gets to hear people get given out to. One day the head manager said to a fella "if you ever speak to me that way again I swear to God, I will come down there and f**k you out of it". The fella wasn't even being that cheeky. I've now noticed that the same guy never wear a headset.

Another time some fella was explaining why he couldn't do what he was asked to do straight away as he was in the middle of something else. The manager said "whatever, just do it... I'm telling you what to do like". He could have left out that last bit. It was not necessary at all. Sounded like a bully saying "ha ha, you're the one being told what to do".

The other day I couldn't hear what one of the managers was saying to me because my ear piece had drifted from my ear. I realised that someone was saying something so I moved my ear piece back up. I then heard him shout "turn around". He said what he'd to say but afterward I heard him muttering to himself and then I heard him say "I may as well be talking to the fcuking wall". Kind of annoying that everyone ha to hear this.

Another time somebody came in for an interview. I would have directed him to the interviewing manager, but she's disgusting to deal with, so instead I directed him to the nearest member of staff (John) so that he'd instead direct him to the manager. John radioed to her about there being an interviewee present. There was no response, but I knew she heard it. This kind of confused John so eventually he radioed to her again. Eventually she responded and just said "yeah yeah I'll be down later". He was left confused as to what he'd do with the interviewee, or where he should tell him to wait, and for how long. It was almost as if she enjoyed hearing him tip toe around her. Of course had to radio to her again to ask this. Again she was rude. When it was finished I radioed to say "you're welcome Sharon". There was a pause and she then said "who said that?". No one answered! So then she just gave out to everyone, giving a lecture on how people are not to be messing when using the headsets and so on.

And all that's just from the first two day of using them. I think people should be mature enough to have a truce when using such things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Where do you work? The only people I can think of that constantly wear headsets like this (that aren’t for phones) are astronauts and Lidl employees. Are you an astronaut?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Headsets? Seriously? That is some class of ****ed up ****. Sounds like something out of Orwells 1984. I would get out of there asap OP. Places like that are toxic and will damage your health. You won't even realise what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sounds like the issue is you having to work with a bunch of morons rather than been about headsets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Mundane nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement