Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with sore paw

Options
  • 23-09-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭

I've a stray cat I have been feeding for the past few year or so.

Yesterday she turned up limping on her front paw and I was just wondering do things like that usually heal themselves?

She will come up to me at feeding time but I can't put a hand on her so bringing her to the vet is out but at the same time its not nice to see her hopping around with a sore foot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

It may or may not heal by itself, it depends on whats wrong.

If you are feeding a stray over a long period, you could try to arrange with a pet rescue to get her trapped so you can get her neutered - unneutered she is just a breeding machine and getting more and more run down over time. Neutered, she will maintain her territory, get fed by you, and likely live a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ok, I will see if it heals over the next few days.

Ok, I will see if it heals over the next few days.

Generally vets or rescues might be able to loan you a trap - if you are not able to pick her up yourself.

However, if youve been feeding her a long time and she hasnt shown up with kittens during that time, she may already be neutered and possibly may be handleable - just shy and having set boundaries with you, is just maintaining them.

You could try to get her indoors, then go into the room she is in and shut the doors, you may find she becomes more approachable and rubs up to you to persuade you to let her out.

I had one I was feeding before who was having none of being touched and then once indoors he just wanted to go straight on your lap and snuggle.

hayoc wrote: »
    Generally vets or rescues might be able to loan you a trap - if you are not able to pick her up yourself.

However, if youve been feeding her a long time and she hasnt shown up with kittens during that time, she may already be neutered and possibly may be handleable - just shy and having set boundaries with you, is just maintaining them.

You could try to get her indoors, then go into the room she is in and shut the doors, you may find she becomes more approachable and rubs up to you to persuade you to let her out.

I had one I was feeding before who was having none of being touched and then once indoors he just wanted to go straight on your lap and snuggle.

No she never had kittens despite the area being full of tom cats.

Thanks for the tips I might try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wonder, do they do that thing here that when they TNR feral cats they cut a notch in their ears? I think they do that in the US anyway.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I wonder, do they do that thing here that when they TNR feral cats they cut a notch in their ears? I think they do that in the US anyway.

You can request it - I did with the snugglebug cat, but as things turned out, he remained as a house cat and his "feral" days were behind him once he trusted us.

No she never had kittens despite the area being full of tom cats.

Thanks for the tips I might try that.

Thats very encouraging - if its definitely female and no pregnancies or kittens in over a year then its quite possible she has already been neutered - and if thats the case, someone has probably handled her at some stage and she may just need reminding that human touch is ok.

Another trick would be to try and encourage her with a cat toy like a feather wand or even a shoelace and if she shows signs of knowing how to play she may have a past of interacting with humans.

Oftentimes they give off the "dont touch me" vibe but when no choice (such as being in a room alone with you) they come round.

I found my current cat living in a bin shed with her kittens. Absolutely no touching until she was inside and then she was completely submissive - Ive literally never even heard her hiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I've had umpteen cats and have been feeding strays and ferals for years, they usually heal from injuries like that fairly quickly unless its sprained or broken. Try and keep her around your home if you can, my very first cat had a mild leg injury but went outside and got knocked down quite badly most likely because he wasnt able to get out of the way of the vehicle quick enough. Found him 5 days later skinny as hell and needing just under 500 euro of vet treatment.

Just a bit of an update she seems a lot better today just has a slight limp and seems to be getting back to her old self.

Just a bit of an update she seems a lot better today just has a slight limp and seems to be getting back to her old self.

Good to hear - youre very kind taking care of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I cared for a colie who would occasionally hurt a foot and refuse t let me touch it, so when she was eating I would gently move the paw to a small dish of soapy water to at least clean it. You get crafty like that ;)

Advertisement