Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel shed insulation

Options
  • 23-09-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I havd a 20 x 12 steel shed and i want to insulate it, im thinking of fixing timber battons to the internal framework and fixing 50mm insulated plaster board to the battons,
    Is there any danger of condensation between the plasterboard and the outer Steel skin or will there be enough of airflow behind the insulated plasterboard?
    Would like any advice or thoughts please,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KikiCamarena

I seen a lot of people are using foam insulation on sheds like that. I think you will end up with condensation and could have a mess on your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

I seen a lot of people are using foam insulation on sheds like that. I think you will end up with condensation and could have a mess on your hands

If i batton the inside and use 50mm foil lined foam board and foil tape the joints ,then slab on top does this not create a vapour barrier and stop the hot air meeting the cold surface of the metal,

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You need to treat the metal skin as a rain screen, and ventilate it appropriately to the outside. Then the gap to the insulation becomes like a conventional wall cavity, which needs also to drain to the outside.

Consider creatures too, obvs. They like cavities. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Lumen wrote: »
    You need to treat the metal skin as a rain screen, and ventilate it appropriately to the outside. Then the gap to the insulation becomes like a conventional wall cavity, which needs also to drain to the outside.

Consider creatures too, obvs. They like cavities. :)

Its box profile sheeting on a steel frame, am I right in saying that by its nature its not airtight so there will be air movement in the cavity, im hoping that with the rigid insulation on the inside of the steel framing which has the joints foil taped this creates a vapour barrier thus no condensation on the inside of the steel sheeting,

Advertisement