Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tarmac Driveway full of moss/weeds - hot to fix?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Absolutely do not power wash tarmac. You will destroy the surface, dig up a lot of chippings and the moss and weds will be worse than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Blowheads wrote: »
    A1, here's a question for you, have more growing in garden along by the kerbs. What to use that's ok for lawn and kerb/tar? Any idea?
    If it's weeds in the tarmac along the kerbs I'd use Roundup very carefully on a very still day with the spray head held very close to the ground and maybe a sheet of ply or a plank held upright along the kerb to shield the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Absolutely do not power wash tarmac. You will destroy the surface, dig up a lot of chippings and the moss and weds will be worse than ever.

Glad it rained before I could get going with the power washer on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

If it's weeds in the tarmac along the kerbs I'd use Roundup very carefully on a very still day with the spray head held very close to the ground and maybe a sheet of ply or a plank held upright along the kerb to shield the grass.

Sorry, moss (damn spell check) growing in the lawn right by the kerb, any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

As already said , washing powder or jeyes fluid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Weed burning blow torch for the big weeds, then a bleach or jeyes fluid solution brushed on to kill moss.
    Power washing will disintegrate a tarmac driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 shovtco

Put sulphate of iron out on tarmacadam thinking it was washing powder and have all orange stains over my tarmac. How can I remove those stains. I have alot . Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

DK32 wrote: »
    I use Formil non-bio washing powder from Lidl, diluted with warm water and put it a weed sprayer. Give all the moss a good soak, within a few days it will all turn brown, you can then brush it off with a stiff yard brush, works very well on weeds also.

This literally works on everything, we use it on brickwork, cobble lock paving, wood etc..

Old thread I know, but can anyone tell me what concentration to dilute the washing powder at?
    I've read before that it's 1 cup to 10 litres but that seems very weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

I just bought the cheapest power in Lidl and shook it out by hand over the moss (like spreading lawn seed)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

https://www.vegemac.be/en/shop/video/i/737834

we have something similar to this and it is really good at moving moss etc from tarmac, can be a lot of debris to clean up after but instant result.

• Advertisement

twofish101 wrote: »
    https://www.vegemac.be/en/shop/video/i/737834

we have something similar to this and it is really good at moving moss etc from tarmac, can be a lot of debris to clean up after but instant result.

Is that €1600??? You'd but a lot of washing powder for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

Commercial machine, much better than caustic soda and potassium hydroxide (KOH) or caustic potash. These are the most commonly used alkalies in soaps and detergents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

A hoe and a yard brush.

Strimmer with plastic gut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

patio magic. follow directions . remove heavy stuff first and sweep away, prob need a couple treatments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I bought a cheap metal brush head for my strimmers.

614aGCeIMnL._AC_SY450_.jpg

clears it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Varik wrote: »
    I bought a cheap metal brush head for my strimmers.

614aGCeIMnL._AC_SY450_.jpg

clears it easy.

Have one of these as well but the vibration plays havoc with the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I use Daz detergent powder for moss on tarmac, just put it in a bucket and shake it on.It will burn it into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Bio washing powder and plenty of it.
    No power washing will lift the stones if the bitumen is old.
    A good hard brushing once the moss dies.
    You will need to do this 2 or 3 times between September and April.
    Hope it helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

spray with vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi.
    So sprinkle bio washing powder on or dilute it? Which is best?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I normally sprinkle the power when the ground is damp or when some light rain is due. No point in putting it down if monsoon rain is due.

When rain is due put it on

When rain is due put it on. Although I put it down once and didn’t rain for a few days and still did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

macraignil wrote: »
    Accepting the moss is not doing you any harm would be the cheapest option.

I find if left untreated it gets onto the car. Washing powder is best.

True. And if it’s windy you get covered in it but at least your clean

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Feck if it was the council's tarmac you could slip,.claim and you'd get money. With an added bonus of them cleaning it pronto.

I spread some Daz on the drive on Friday last
    How long does it take to kill the moss?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

we have a very large gravel area to get rid of moss, was wondering could we use the liquid Formil in the knapsack and spray it on, as we have gone through 4 boxes of washing powder and only a small fraction of the total area covered, I also see somewhere that adding some bleach to the mix helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Zardoz

banoffe2 wrote: »
    we have a very large gravel area to get rid of moss, was wondering could we use the liquid Formil in the knapsack and spray it on, as we have gone through 4 boxes of washing powder and only a small fraction of the total area covered, I also see somewhere that adding some bleach to the mix helps

A few bags of milling salt will do the job well.
    A 25kg bag is ~ 5 euro in a hardware store.
    Its much cheaper than washing powder and does the same job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement