Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney sweep

Options
  • 12-09-2020 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Evening all, does anyone sweep their own chimney, if so what type of equipment do you use.
    I've unused sewer rods which I could buy a brush for, I have an insert Stanley stove.
    The chimney is not lined and is the standard terracotta pot types, maybe 8 or 9 inch in diameter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Blackthorn bush is the traditional thing. But, yes, I've given mine a check out with Rods and a brush.

Just be extremely aware of the possibility of anything hard and heavy getting dislodged and coming down on ye hands, or worse! Don't half hurt!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just bought a chimney typhoon contraption myself. Flexible rods that attach to a drill. Can't wait to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

beertons wrote: »
    Just bought a chimney typhoon contraption myself. Flexible rods that attach to a drill. Can't wait to give it a go.

Did you need an attachment for the drill?

Did you need an attachment for the drill?

Damn it, I never checked.

Attachment is included, but missing from my box. Will get on to them now to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IIRC for insurance purposes, you need a certificate from a pro, registered, sweep

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

IIRC for insurance purposes, you need a certificate from a pro, registered, sweep
    and I doubt it ever happens tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It happens when there is a claim for a chimney fire and the insurance wont pay for damage or the fire brigade

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Attachment is included, but missing from my box. Will get on to them now to replace.

How did you get on with your typhoon?
    Was it a stove or regular fire place you were accessing the chimney through?

sully123 wrote: »

Bits haven't arrived yet. Broke the grate when taking it out to replace side panels. Feck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Get a refund if there is a bit missing, it is an easy job 15 mins and the drill totally unsuitable in my view. It will also make more of a mess...

Get a refund if there is a bit missing, it is an easy job 15 mins and the drill totally unsuitable in my view. It will also make more of a mess...

Yirra, I'm committed now. I'll at least give it one whirl before I decide if it was a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I was in woodies tonight and had a 10inch brush in my hand but bottled it, because I think my chimney is an 8 inch and the pipe from the stove is about 5inch, so there would be major pushing and pulling and im thinking if I damaged something. Chimney sweepers are really booked up, some until 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We've cleaned our chimney ourselves twice a year for years.
    Never a problem.

Granted it's an old house, wide chimney, open fire but never an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i do mine but climb on the roof.iput plastic on floor and tape plasistic over chimney the run the brush down a couple of times

sully123 wrote: »

Job done. Bits arrived yesterday. A bit of a learning curve, spent more time cleaning the room after than the chimney, but that won't happen again. I've a mulberry insert, if it means anything to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I bought the brush part but haven't tried it yet. This thread has inspired me to give it a go at the weekend. Is there a best way to block the opening of the fire so the sitting room doesn't get destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I bought the brush part but haven't tried it yet. This thread has inspired me to give it a go at the weekend. Is there a best way to block the opening of the fire so the sitting room doesn't get destroyed?

The professional version of those uses a block of foam witha slot in it . The foam squashes in to seal the irregular opening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Job done. Bits arrived yesterday. A bit of a learning curve, spent more time cleaning the room after than the chimney, but that won't happen again. I've a mulberry insert, if it means anything to you.

I've just bought one from Amazon for what looks like a good price.
    Any tips from what you learned from your first time.
    I removed the metal baffles in my Stanley cara insert this morning and there was a bit of sooth, but that's all I can do until they arrive. One thing I need to do is mask, disposable gloves and vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bawnmore wrote: »

Did this today - was grand. Couldn't find duct tape so had my wife hold a bing bag over the face of the fire which seems to be have done the job for the most part.

• Advertisement

Phil.x wrote: »
    I've just bought one from Amazon for what looks like a good price.
    Any tips from what you learned from your first time.
    I removed the metal baffles in my Stanley cara insert this morning and there was a bit of sooth, but that's all I can do until they arrive. One thing I need to do is mask, disposable gloves and vacuum.

Remove everything small. Cover everything big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Got my Typhoon and did the 2 chimneys. Very happy with the buy.
    Was able to clean up tru the 90 degree angle out the back of the stove.

Advertisement