Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools Admissions Act - applying to more than 1 Secondary School

Options
  • 18-09-2020 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Question in relation to Applications for Secondary Schools in relation to new Schools Admissions Act.

If you apply to both School A & School B.
    School A is your 1st Choice but is always over-subscribed. You get an offer for School B in first round but not School A but you are hopeful of an offer in subsequent rounds.
    The Act seems to say that you can apply to more than 1 school but only accept 1 place.
    What do you do if you really want School A ? Do you have to reject School B's offer in the hope that you do get an offer from School A?
    A bit confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Question in relation to Applications for Secondary Schools in relation to new Schools Admissions Act.

If you apply to both School A & School B.
    School A is your 1st Choice but is always over-subscribed. You get an offer for School B in first round but not School A but you are hopeful of an offer in subsequent rounds.
    The Act seems to say that you can apply to more than 1 school but only accept 1 place.
    What do you do if you really want School A ? Do you have to reject School B's offer in the hope that you do get an offer from School A?
    A bit confused.

You can accept school B but ymthey can ask you have you applied elsewhere. If you give misleading information it can invalidate your application. This provision is not commenced yet.

Schools can share information on applications, regardless of GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

You can accept school B but ymthey can ask you have you applied elsewhere. If you give misleading information it can invalidate your application. This provision is not commenced yet.

Schools can share information on applications, regardless of GDPR.

Thanks for the reply.
    I didn't realise that that part of the Act has not been commenced yet.

I suppose what I am asking is what to do if you really want School A ?
    Can you accept School B, while telling them that you are waiting for an offer from School A ? And then accept School A if an offer comes at a later point ?
    Or if you want to wait for School A do you need to reject School B and risk not having a place in either school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thanks for the reply.
    I didn't realise that that part of the Act has not been commenced yet.

I suppose what I am asking is what to do if you really want School A ?
    Can you accept School B, while telling them that you are waiting for an offer from School A ? And then accept School A if an offer comes at a later point ?
    Or if you want to wait for School A do you need to reject School B and risk not having a place in either school ?

No problem with accepting an offer then declining later. Family circumstances change all the time, move house etc.

The main question is if you accept B, is school A informed so that you are cleared from their A list?

The school secretary will know. Ask nicely.

Treppen wrote: »

The main question is if you accept B, is school A informed so that you are cleared from their A list?

Yes, that would definitely be a problem.

Also, if we only apply to School A and do Not get a place in any round of offers - what happens then ?

I wonder if School A would tell us where we are (number) on their List ? That would definitely makes things easier if we knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Just wondering has anyone found a definitive answer to this question? The primary school applications seem to be opening this week from 1 Oct and I have been wondering too about how to go about applying for my daughter, as 1 of our local schools (my preference) is not offering places till January and the others all seem to offer places in November...I'm wondering if they intend parents to pin all their hopes on one school and discourage them accepting offers from 'back up' choices that they may later turn down?

• Advertisement

Just wondering has anyone found a definitive answer to this question? The primary school applications seem to be opening this week from 1 Oct and I have been wondering too about how to go about applying for my daughter, as 1 of our local schools (my preference) is not offering places till January and the others all seem to offer places in November...I'm wondering if they intend parents to pin all their hopes on one school and discourage them accepting offers from 'back up' choices that they may later turn down?

One of the Posters above said that this part of the Act has not commenced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

One of the Posters above said that this part of the Act has not commenced yet.

Thanks for that. I read the below on citizens information.ie and wasn't sure if it applied to applications made in or for 2021 but it would make sense that it refers to applications made in that year for the following...

Changes from 2021
    The Act introduces further rules around notifying schools where you have applied for, or accepted a place in more than one school. These changes are expected to come into effect in 2021 and will include the following:

You will be allowed to apply to more than one school but will not be allowed to accept more than one place.

If you accept an offer from one school and you have applied to one or more other schools, you will have to tell the school you are accepting the offer from about any offers you have or are expecting from other schools

Thanks for that. I read the below on citizens information.ie and wasn't sure if it applied to applications made in or for 2021 but it would make sense that it refers to applications made in that year for the following...

Changes from 2021
    The Act introduces further rules around notifying schools where you have applied for, or accepted a place in more than one school. These changes are expected to come into effect in 2021 and will include the following:

You will be allowed to apply to more than one school but will not be allowed to accept more than one place.

If you accept an offer from one school and you have applied to one or more other schools, you will have to tell the school you are accepting the offer from about any offers you have or are expecting from other schools

I am finding it very hard to understand how it will work when it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Actually the act (section 66(6) ) allows for schools to share databases so maybe they'll set one up all together. (Seems like a precursor to the lottery system enjoyed by Limerick if you ask me).

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2018-press-releases/PR18-10-03.html#:~:text=The Minister will also commence,the efficient admission of students.

Or maybe they'll just take it on good faith.

I doubt very much schools could be bothered cross referencing at the moment. Although there are a few closely competing schools who have to do this to avoid mayhem.

Advertisement