Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial assistance for homeless student?

Options
  • 20-08-2020 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I was approached today by someone who is a mature student at a university in this country. Against all odds, this person has worked a full time job at night and put themselves through college by day. They're going into their last year in college and because of covid, lost their job (company closed) and are now literally on the verge of homelessness and on the complete breadline. This person cannot pay the college fees and can't even afford to eat. This person is getting €205 a week, but the rent was €1,000 a month and the rent can't be met this month. This person was homeless in the past and is terrified of going back down thar road, having made something of themselves since. There is a student hardship fund in the college and the person will apply for that but its only €500. What other optons are there for this person to get funding? Fees are €11k. This person needs a night job so that they can attend college by day. It's a constant struggle of no sleep, study and just trying to survive. Any advice very welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

I was approached today by someone who is a mature student at a university in this country. Against all odds, this person has worked a full time job at night and put themselves through college by day. They're going into their last year in college and because of covid, lost their job (company closed) and are now literally on the verge of homelessness and on the complete breadline. This person cannot pay the college fees and can't even afford to eat. This person is getting €205 a week, but the rent was €1,000 a month and the rent can't be met this month. This person was homeless in the past and is terrified of going back down thar road, having made something of themselves since. There is a student hardship fund in the college and the person will apply for that but its only €500. What other optons are there for this person to get funding? Fees are €11k. This person needs a night job so that they can attend college by day. It's a constant struggle of no sleep, study and just trying to survive. Any advice very welcome. Thank you.

What a harrowing ordeal. As a fellow mature student, I can relate. I think this student needs to defer their studies for a year and find any job to stay afloat. A roof over your head is more important than studying in the hierarchy of needs. It used to be that only the wealthy could study and our society has largely improved since then, but not everyone will have a smooth path. In my case, I dropped out of medicine to work in a minimum wage job. I saved money and got back into the programme, and it was a character-building experience for me. Tell this person it isn't the end of the world to defer their studies for a year or two. They are still on the path to self-actualisation, even if that path is bumpy along the way.

I don't think there are many funding options beyond a personal loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Look where the jobs are. Online stores, supermarkets, out of town retail, warehousing.

Get a decent cv done up and get into agencies.

You be surprised at how appalling general cv's are. Where i am we had a couple of vacancies recently. Dozens of applications. About 15% had decent readable cv's. We only picked interviewees from that group.

Keep it simple and ENTICE the employer to want to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

What a harrowing ordeal. As a fellow mature student, I can relate. I think this student needs to defer their studies for a year and find any job to stay afloat. A roof over your head is more important than studying in the hierarchy of needs. It used to be that only the wealthy could study and our society has largely improved since then, but not everyone will have a smooth path. In my case, I dropped out of medicine to work in a minimum wage job. I saved money and got back into the programme, and it was a character-building experience for me. Tell this person it isn't the end of the world to defer their studies for a year or two. They are still on the path to self-actualisation, even if that path is bumpy along the way.

I don't think there are many funding options beyond a personal loan.
    Thanks but they already did this earlier in the course. This person is only 9 months away from qualifying. I think if another break was taken from the course, the ordeal might be too much. This person nfeels they need to keep going and get to May 2021,where they will then have great job prospects. They're so close and yet so far away. I can't help financially unfortunately and this person is so proud, but I want to help by pointing out funding options before its too late. This person today thought that they can't go back to college, that the dream of completing is unattainable.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Look where the jobs are. Online stores, supermarkets, out of town retail, warehousing.

Get a decent cv done up and get into agencies.

You be surprised at how appalling general cv's are. Where i am we had a couple of vacancies recently. Dozens of applications. About 15% had decent readable cv's. We only picked interviewees from that group.

Keep it simple and ENTICE the employer to want to meet you.

Thanks. I'll help them with their cv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Thanks. I'll help them with their cv

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid is the motto.

Name, address, contact details.

Then last job - very brief description, try and match it to something that connect what you are applying for.
    Then previous work experience.

Ignore any school work experience / baby sitting / very short term positions

Simple details about education - remember this is not a career job. Leaving cert - just state "attained with honours in xyz"
    State what they are currently studying.

Definitely state proper pastimes. Important for seeing if they will mix with current staff. If any awards or membership of something like Toastmasters (phenomenal recognition by employers) put it down. Actually on Toastmasters, look at joining one of their clubs - there are over 100 clubs in Ireland, great contacts and builds confidence too.

Always do a brief cover letter - state you can drive (if that is true), state what hours you can work, the more flexible the better, say you enjoy xx industry and love xyz.

State you'd love to discuss what you can add to the team.

There - your cv is now in the top 15%. You'd be surprised at how appallingly bad so many are.

Finally and most importantly - save it as a pdf or word document.

Never ever ever ever send google docs .pages or anything that requires download or singing in.

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid is the motto.

Name, address, contact details.

Then last job - very brief description, try and match it to something that connect what you are applying for.
    Then previous work experience.

Ignore any school work experience / baby sitting / very short term positions

Simple details about education - remember this is not a career job. Leaving cert - just state "attained with honours in xyz"
    State what they are currently studying.

Definitely state proper pastimes. Important for seeing if they will mix with current staff. If any awards or membership of something like Toastmasters (phenomenal recognition by employers) put it down. Actually on Toastmasters, look at joining one of their clubs - there are over 100 clubs in Ireland, great contacts and builds confidence too.

Always do a brief cover letter - state you can drive (if that is true), state what hours you can work, the more flexible the better, say you enjoy xx industry and love xyz.

State you'd love to discuss what you can add to the team.

There - your cv is now in the top 15%. You'd be surprised at how appallingly bad so many are.

Finally and most importantly - save it as a pdf or word document.

Never ever ever ever send google docs .pages or anything that requires download or singing in.
    Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

. I can't help financially unfortunately and this person is so proud, but I want to help by pointing out funding options before its too late. This person today thought that they can't go back to college, that the dream of completing is unattainable.

I have been close to being homeless in the past and the last feeling I had while I lost my last apartment when I was evicted was to be proud.... A a realization of the situation then followed by a feeling of desperation before hopelessness kicks in.

The story could well be true but you lost me at proud and the rate of payment, if they were earning more than €200 a week then they would be paid €350 per week now as part of the covid payment. Your math does not add up!

krissovo wrote: »
    I have been close to being homeless in the past and the last feeling I had while I lost my last apartment when I was evicted was to be proud.... A a realization of the situation then followed by a feeling of desperation before hopelessness kicks in.

The story could well be true but you lost me at proud and the rate of payment, if they were earning more than €200 a week then they would be paid €350 per week now as part of the covid payment. Your math does not add up!

I am not lying.
    The company closed. This person was not put on temporary layoff, which is the bigger payment of €350. Wouldn't it be great if it was just temp layoff, but as I said earlier it is €205 dole, meaning it clearly isn't temp layoff.
    Are you saying people can't be proud if they've been made homeless? This person has paid most of their money to their landlord to try keep their roof over their head. Rest on food and bills. Rent is still short.
    I'm looking for help for a genuine case and not an accusation that I'm fabricating events or figures. Honestly, why would anyone make up sthg like that. As my grandad used to say, if you've nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

I am not lying.
    The company closed. This person was not put on temporary layoff, which is the bigger payment of €350. Wouldn't it be great if it was just temp layoff, but as I said earlier it is €205 dole, meaning it clearly isn't temp layoff.
    Are you saying people can't be proud if they've been made homeless? This person has paid most of their money to their landlord to try keep their roof over their head. Rest on food and bills. Rent is still short.
    I'm looking for help for a genuine case and not an accusation that I'm fabricating events or figures. Honestly, why would anyone make up sthg like that. As my grandad used to say, if you've nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

If there was additional funding beyond the dole, I would have found it. I think an appointment with social welfare is this person's best bet. Would they qualify for back to education allowance at some point? Have they spoken to all of their family members: aunts, uncles, cousins? St Vincent's?

This would be my plan:

- University Fees can often be deferred. Set up meeting with Fees Dept to pay in January or May. Keep delaying, there is a student debtor's policy that won't be enacted immediately. Worst case, they can't graduate until they pay, but student can worry about that next summer when they are free to work full time.

- Move into a house sharing with 3 other students, take the single room for 200-300 a month if not in Dublin. If in Dublin, there are rooms for 500.

- Contact 3-4 homeless charities for food, clothing.

- Contact all relatives, however distant, and set up a GoFundMe.

- Contact local radio stations to bring publicity to GoFundMe.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

I know these schemes are not perfect but they should also look into Housing Assistance Payment, Rent supplement etc.

• Advertisement

If there was additional funding beyond the dole, I would have found it. I think an appointment with social welfare is this person's best bet. Would they qualify for back to education allowance at some point? Have they spoken to all of their family members: aunts, uncles, cousins? St Vincent's?

This would be my plan:

- University Fees can often be deferred. Set up meeting with Fees Dept to pay in January or May. Keep delaying, there is a student debtor's policy that won't be enacted immediately. Worst case, they can't graduate until they pay, but student can worry about that next summer when they are free to work full time.

- Move into a house sharing with 3 other students, take the single room for 200-300 a month if not in Dublin. If in Dublin, there are rooms for 500.

- Contact 3-4 homeless charities for food, clothing.

- Contact all relatives, however distant, and set up a GoFundMe.

- Contact local radio stations to bring publicity to GoFundMe.

Thanks a million. Am starting to work on these now with the person.

DeeAvery wrote: »
    I know these schemes are not perfect but they should also look into Housing Assistance Payment, Rent supplement etc.

Thanks. Landlord doesn't want to do HAP but trying to get some form of assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Thanks. Landlord doesn't want to do HAP but trying to get some form of assistance

Maybe get onto Threshold for advice. A landlord legally can’t refuse so perhaps they’ll give advice how to deal with a situation when they do.

Advertisement