Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Glazed versus Triple Glazed Windows

Options
  • 22-09-2020 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We are hoping to start our self build in the coming month and have been contacting (or at least trying to) windows suppliers to get as much information as possible. One of the key goals is to try and get as high a BER rating as possible (and sound proofing) and as such we specced for triple glazed windows all around.

We initially wanted sliding sash windows but these only come in a double glazed offering with a u-value above 1 whereas the triple glazed casement with a "sash effect" come in a triple glazed with a u-value of 0.8.

So, we went with the triple glazed. However, after talking to suppliers, some of them questioned the value for money with getting triple glazed all around the house and recommended going for a high standard of double glazing.

I have my doubts about this, but I am in no way an expert. So, I am wondering if anyone with experience and knowledge has any opinion on the value of going for triple glazed over double glazed?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,093 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if your main goal was the highest BER with sound proofing, then you were right to go with the triple glazed.

Good triple glazed will always be more energy positive than double glazed in an A rated house, in that they will trap in more heat than they will let out.

while some double glazed units will let in more heat to the house than some triple glazed, they will allow a greater proportion of heat out in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Biker1

The BER assessor that done your provisional DEAP Part L report should be able to answer any query on these matters. Basically the lower the U-value on your windows and external doors the better as they are the weakest link in the building fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yes, we have worked all this out from a BER assessment point of view. However, it was the window companies suggesting that the difference between triple glazed and double glazed isn't worth the price that has us second guessing ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

.....However, after talking to suppliers.....
    ....However, it was the window companies suggesting that the difference between triple glazed and double glazed isn't worth the price that has us second guessing ourselves.

Window sales people can't be trusted. In almost 20 years I've worked with one I can remember that was honest. Whatever they say its usually the opposite and always ask them for data sheets. Take the information directly from these sheets. eg if they say the sound rating is x get them to show you proof on the data sheet of the window you're getting and not some other window that may exist or that's a fraction of the size with no openings. If they say the u-value is x check the data sheet as it could be the u-value for the glass and excludes the frame. Having specified thousands of windows in probably a hundred projects they're the one person I've to always check what they claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is your airtightness level going to be set at, far more important than a BER, IM(h)O:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Yes, we have worked all this out from a BER assessment point of view. However, it was the window companies suggesting that the difference between triple glazed and double glazed isn't worth the price that has us second guessing ourselves.

A lot on your house but I expect that in most builds there are cheaper ways to get the same thermal benefit than triple but of course they are really nice to have. However if you really want to spend money get passive certified triple or vacuum windows. But even with these, your windows will be the coldest part of the wall.

If sound proofing is a big concern talk to a sound consulting company. A default triple is not the bees knees for sound.

Advertisement