Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo dot and Google home hub?

Options
  • 08-01-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭

So I bought a Dot in November and I'm waiting for a second one (the one with the clock) for upstairs.

In the meantime, Vodafone sent me a free Google home hub for switching to them. I don't need three devices.

Is it crazy to run a dot and a Google home hub? I could give my other dot to a family member. Or am I better off to give them the Google device? It's the tablet style one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I got rid of my Amazon devices and migrated to Google... Didn't gel with the ecosystem. Personally I'd chose one or the other. But you can easily use both in the same house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Choose one.....dont run both.....I went Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm really torn. I love my Dot and the Dot with the clock is due next week. But all my other devices are Android and I have a Chromebook and a Chromecast...oh and a Fire Stick :D I was looking at the Lenovo smart clock but the price is ridiculous compared to the Dot with the clock.

Really don't want to run two systems so it looks like I'm best to give away the Google Home

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm really torn. I love my Dot and the Dot with the clock is due next week. But all my other devices are Android and I have a Chromebook and a Chromecast...oh and a Fire Stick :D I was looking at the Lenovo smart clock but the price is ridiculous compared to the Dot with the clock.

Really don't want to run two systems so it looks like I'm best to give away the Google Home

Lenovo smart clock only € 50 in harvey norman at the moment https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/lenovo-smart-clock-with-google-assistant.html

Tweaky wrote: »

Problem solved! That's brilliant, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Problem solved! That's brilliant, thanks

Why would you run the Smart Clock instead of the Home Hub? Is the Hub too big for your intended place of usage? I presume you intend on using it in the bedroom?

I had the Hub and gave it to the sister after upgrading to the Hub Max. I bought the Smart Clock from Harvey Norman due to the price and wanting to put it in the living room as the daughter couldn't watch YouTube on it. It's nice but the emphasis really is on it being a clock and not much more. If you have the Hub already I'd save the €50 and just use that- unless it's too big for where you wanted to put it.

Don't get me wrong, the Smart Clock is nice but if you have a hub already then it's a better device.

I want it to replace an ancient clock radio in the bedroom. I have a dot there at the moment which doesn't have a clock so I've been using it mostly for playlists, radio and wake up routines but kept the clock radio for the clock. I'm trying to avoid looking at my phone if I wake up during the night or asking Alexa what time it is.

The hub doesn't appear to have a clock only screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I want it to replace an ancient clock radio in the bedroom. I have a dot there at the moment which doesn't have a clock so I've been using it mostly for playlists, radio and wake up routines but kept the clock radio for the clock. I'm trying to avoid looking at my phone if I wake up during the night or asking Alexa what time it is.

The hub doesn't appear to have a clock only screen.

maxresdefault.jpg

It does indeed. Just swipe right when on the main screen and it turns into a large clock. It can also dim when the lights are low in the room so it's not glaringly bright if you look at it during the night.

maxresdefault.jpg

It does indeed. Just swipe right when on the main screen and it turns into a large clock. It can also dim when the lights are low in the room so it's not glaringly bright if you look at it during the night.

Thanks. Though I do want something downstairs too... Was too late to cancel the echo dot with the clock so back to considering giving the Google hub away...or getting the smart clock. Life was so much simpler before all things smart, even if I did have to go upstairs to turn on my electric blanket: D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks. Though I do want something downstairs too... Was too late to cancel the echo dot with the clock so back to considering giving the Google hub away...or getting the smart clock. Life was so much simpler before all things smart, even if I did have to go upstairs to turn on my electric blanket: D

Google hub is the best clock device available... It displays a clock when not in use by other apps or functions and is completely ambient... doesn't glow or light a room in any way, but still fully legible...

• Advertisement
Advertisement