Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comms for SOT Kayaking on Lakes

Options
  • 09-05-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

We use 2 SOT kayaks for fishing mostly in bays on lakes, occasionally in coastal areas.

Can someone recommended what sort of comms we should be using to stay in touch as we often split up and go into different bays on the lake?

Initially we thought about waterproof walkie talkies, however I don't know if they work on line of sight? Will they work if one of us is around the corner in a bay and seperated by a strip of land and a hill in between? Then I thought of VHS radios but won't we need to do special courses to be able to use these? Basically want a way to keep in touch between the 2 kayaks but would be great if we could use them to call for help if needed.

Mobile phones not known to work well with water and the reception is unreliable.

Anyone have any suggestions or links to more information?

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Suggest getting two basic radios from an electrical shop. Generally they should work fine for a distance of a couple of km, including around a corner or two.

I'm sure you know that according to the proper kayak safety guidelines there should always be a minimum of two, if not three, people paddling close together on the water...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

I would recommend handheld VHF[waterproof model]. These units are normally more powerful than walkie talkies.
    VHF is generally line of sight.... = signal, but for what your doing they should be fine. Yes, you should be doing a VHF radio operators course [2 days now I think]. Having said that, I have never seen anybody arrested over using one without a licence.;)
    The most positive reason to purchase VHF is the ability to make that emergency call to a Coast Guard co-ordination centre or communicate/guide an RNLI or Coast Guard boat, helicopter etc. to you. For this to be effective, you should also know where you are..... another story!
    The downside to the VHF is the cost of the unit & the added cost of the course, I would recommend attending one, as you will learn all the do's & don'ts, voice procedure & the general radio protocols.
    Hope this helps. Safe & happy paddling/fishing.:)

Advertisement