Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour-blindness and the fire brigade?!

Options
  • 04-01-2008 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi there, I'm hoping to join the dublin fire brigade or the garda in a few years from now but am wondering am i able to get in as a fireman being colourblind????! .....as far as i know in the garda it just means i cant drive a squad car.....but then again correct me if i'm wrong!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You wouldn't be able to identify if a suspect was wearing a blue or a green jacket? Would that be correct? I can't speak for the Gardai, but I can 100% say your colourblind condition would immediately disqualify you from applying to any UK police force.

Sorry to bear bad news. :(
    RSHC wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm hoping to join the dublin fire brigade or the garda in a few years from now but am wondering am i able to get in as a fireman being colourblind????! .....as far as i know in the garda it just means i cant drive a squad car.....but then again correct me if i'm wrong!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RSHC

No i can tell the difference between all colours except certain shades of red and green so im technically red/green colourblind! thanks for your answer....although it is very deflating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭John Kimble

psni wrote: »
    You wouldn't be able to identify if a suspect was wearing a blue or a green jacket? Would that be correct? I can't speak for the Gardai, but I can 100% say your colourblind condition would immediately disqualify you from applying to any UK police force.

Sorry to bear bad news. :(

Not trying to get at you psni or anything, but that statement shows how badly misinformed folk are about colourblindness.
    There are different types of colourblindness, the most common being a red green deficiency. This does not mean that the person cannot tell the difference between these colours, rather they may have difficulties with certain shades or hues. Not being able to tell the difference between blue and green would be a pretty severe and uncommon form.
    RSHC, I'm colourblind and it hasn't hindered my application for the Gardai thus far, even though I had assumed it would. I won't be able to drive a squad car but that's no big deal. That's not why I applied for the Gardai. I suppose my advice would be to apply anyway, sure all they can do is turn you down. At least ask someone in the know.
    I'm very surprised that colourblindness excludes one from joining the Police in the UK. I'm sure they are potentially missing out on some very capable and potentially talented recruits by making such an exclusion.

Advertisement