Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old timer plugs with smart plugs

Options
  • 31-12-2019 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi all and apologies if this has been asked before but I did search the forums and I couldn't find an answer to my question...

I'm thinking of replacing my old timer plugs with new Smart Plugs (like the Teckin ones on Amazon), as I've read they have the ability to schedule switch ons/offs. my question is where is the schedule stored, is it in the app on your phone or in the smart plug itself? The reason I ask, is if I leave the house and I have a few lights on Smart Plugs do I still have to leave my internet router switched on for the scheduling function to work, i.e the schedule is stored on my phone and it's the phone that sends the on/off signals hence the phone needs to be in communication with the plugs at all times...

Many thanks for any replies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It depends on the plug.
    I don't know enough to suggest which plugs, if any, have a timer/clock built-in.

A smart speaker like Google home or alexa should be able to automate on/off times but it would require your router to be switched on.

Some smart plugs are designed to work with a separate hub that controls clock functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there any reason why you would switch your router off?

The power consumption is really low, costs no more than 2-5c/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

seamus wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you would switch your router off?

The power consumption is really low, costs no more than 2-5c/day.

It's not cost, when I leave the house I always turn off as much as I can, just to reduce the chance of anything catching fire (past experience of electrical devices bursting into flames).

Skittle wrote: »
    It's not cost, when I leave the house I always turn off as much as I can, just to reduce the chance of anything catching fire (past experience of electrical devices bursting into flames).

You realise a smart plug is such a device?

And those fiddly timers with a dial you buy in the euro shops are even worse?

antix80 wrote: »
    You realise a smart plug is such a device?

And those fiddly timers with a dial you buy in the euro shops are even worse?

It's my router I'd be worried about more. Its a Virgin Media piece of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It's my router I'd be worried about more. Its a Virgin Media piece of crap.

And how are smart plugs any safer? What are you basing it on? I've never heard of a VM router going on fire ever

Ok, lets move off of why I want to turn as much off as possible and back onto to my original question if that's ok: do you need the internet available to use the scheduling functionality of the smart plugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ok, lets move off of why I want to turn as much off as possible and back onto to my original question if that's ok: do you need the internet available to use the scheduling functionality of the smart plugs?

Well you can put it to the test easily enough. Although only when you have them.

Usually they will work without the router on. But turning it off regularly could upset things.

Other posters make a valid point about the fire risk. Far more with timers than routers.

I haven't bought the plugs yet, and I was wondering would anyone know this before I bought them.

I haven't bought the plugs yet, and I was wondering would anyone know this before I bought them.

I have tested it with sonoff devices, and schedules still work. But switching on and off router causes devices to disconnect and reconnect, no status viewing possible etc. Takes away the main reason for having them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

All the ones i have need to be connected. If they go offline they stop working so i am assuming the timer is in the cloud rather than plug.

But if you are using them as offline timer plugs then there is no benefit over the ones you have now.

Yea if the router is going to be switched off every time you leave the house, id stick with timers.

But if there is a fear of the router causing a fire, I wouldnt be having timers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I believe that the Ikea smart home system (TRÅDFRI) would probably work without the internet being active. However, you would also need their gateway device as the plugs themselves have no interface. The gateway needs to be connected to the internet periodically (presumably for time setting, firmware updates etc.) and the timers are set with an app on your phone. However, the gateway device holds the settings, so I reckon it will still send the off/on signals to the plugs as long as it knows the current time.

I'm away at the moment, but if you're not in a rush to buy, I can test this theory out for you when I'm home over the next day or two. Though you would have to leave the Ikea gateway device plugged in all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well i know kasa plugs do require wifi at home, if it drops any settings are out the window.

while i can understand someone having bad experience with stuff getting on fire, but likes of routers etc are pretty safe, and would drive me nuts as have alexa's. hive,hue bulbs over the house and
    switching off router would drive me nuts and make it useless each day until it would sync back properly.

if your really scared get one of those silver fire blankets and isolate area.

Schorpio wrote: »
    I'm away at the moment, but if you're not in a rush to buy, I can test this theory out for you when I'm home over the next day or two. Though you would have to leave the Ikea gateway device plugged in all of the time.

No rush to buy, it seems that people are saying to stick with the timers I had previously, but if I could get Smart Plugs that would do the job then great as it'll give greater flexibility as I could use them for other uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I believe the schedule is stored in the cloud.
    It's definitely not your phone. The phone can be off and the devices work fine.
    I'll check over the weekend. I'll set a schedule and will turn off my router and see what happens.

They're great devices. Ive had the plugs for over a year now with no issues.
    The automation is smarter than just schedules.
    E.g. I've one set to turn on at sunset each day and turn off in the evening.
    Then another (with a separate sensor) that turns on a light when the porch door opens after midnight and turn off 15 mins later.

No rush to buy, it seems that people are saying to stick with the timers I had previously, but if I could get Smart Plugs that would do the job then great as it'll give greater flexibility as I could use them for other uses.

It just occurred to me that you wanted to plug your router into the smart plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Tried it out over the weekend. The devices don't seem to store any schedule info locally. If Internet access is down then the schedules don't run.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Tried it out over the weekend. The devices don't seem to store any schedule info locally. If Internet access is down then the schedules don't run.

Many thanks for that timetogo1!

Advertisement