Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

13-03-2017, 12:57   #31

I don't see why a counter in the local shop won't work, if needed. We use to, (still do in some areas) have the local pub with a shop out the back where you can get anything from light bulbs to shovels.
I'm always suspicious about the timing of these things though, when these emergency situations appear like they fell out of the sky. The push for almost immediate and harsh action.
Advertisement
13-03-2017, 12:58   #32
Calhoun

Would well believe they have an issue, part of their problem is the decline in usage of the postal service, part of the problem is the inefficiencies in the system.

Anecdotally when i was in college some of the lecturers used to talk about the rubber room in an post where folk who were inefficient but couldnt get fired were put until retirement.

In my own experience most my correspondence these days is digital and when i do need a package delivered an post is so inefficient compared to private competitors.
13-03-2017, 19:23   #33
SPDUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
Would well believe they have an issue, part of their problem is the decline in usage of the postal service, part of the problem is the inefficiencies in the system.

Anecdotally when i was in college some of the lecturers used to talk about the rubber room in an post where folk who were inefficient but couldnt get fired were put until retirement.

In my own experience most my correspondence these days is digital and when i do need a package delivered an post is so inefficient compared to private competitors.
They have taken out a lot of the inefficiencies in the system , for example there is about half the number of delivery routes now than there used to be 10 years ago ,they have split shifts so someone does a delivery in the morning and then come back 5 hours later to do collections in the evening .That formerly tended to be 2 jobs .

The Rubber room tends to be a management level phenomenon where their old jobs have gone .

If you are an ordinary postman who doesn't have a job in your office anymore then you are normally in a pool of postmen who can be sent to any office to cover duties where people are absent for holidays etc .

Quote:
Going Forward Would cutting down from a 5 day delivery to a 3 day service help at all or would it just create delivery backlogs/extra work?
It would help and wouldn't cause a problem in most offices .

But Comreg insists that a full door to door delivery take place in all of Ireland every day
Thanks from:
13-03-2017, 19:44   #34
FrStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
and when i do need a package delivered an post is so inefficient compared to private competitors.
To be honest, I find An Post is a million times better at delivering packages than those courier companies.

The courriers will text to say they tried to deliver and you were out - despite the fact you were in and they didn't bother delivering.

The couriers always have to ring because they can't find the address (despite the fact I now give an eirecode).

An Post always deliver on time and without hassle.
(3) thanks from:
13-03-2017, 19:53   #35
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrStone View Post
To be honest, I find An Post is a million times better at delivering packages than those courier companies.

The courriers will text to say they tried to deliver and you were out - despite the fact you were in and they didn't bother delivering.

The couriers always have to ring because they can't find the address (despite the fact I now give an eirecode).

An Post always deliver on time and without hassle.
Couriers have a hard time delivering because an posts internal routing and location system is kept so secretive. They do have the advantage of some local knowledge for delivering but they are completely inefficient in every other regard.
Advertisement
13-03-2017, 21:49   #36
expectationlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parish Priest. View Post
An post like many semi state companies have been financially unsound since well forever but there isn't a snowball's chance of any redundancies or of any post offices actually closing
so it would be fake news if there weren't a document somewhere within An Post which mentions closing a significant number of posts offices.
14-03-2017, 00:32   #37
chicorytip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parish Priest.
An post like many semi state companies have been financially unsound since well forever but there isn't a snowball's chance of any redundancies or of any post offices actually closing
An Post is simply massively overstaffed. Nine thousand employees. What do all these people do?
14-03-2017, 09:52   #38
VinLieger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrStone View Post
In the past 6-7 years i have never once had an post successfully manage to deliver a package to my door.

Several times I have been at home waiting for it and while walking past the door i spot the "you weren't in note" peeking through the door and at no point that day has the doorbell rung or was there a knock on the door.

Ive also heard stories of people catching them doing this and when confronted they admit the package isn't even on the truck.

Then when you do make your way to the local sorting office and hand in the note the reaction you get from the guy behind the counter is standard "ugh your actually asking me to do my job?" Then after managing to get to their feet they spend 5 minutes staring at a shelf with about 4 packages on it, eventually they might touch one to take a look at who its for and then after about another 10 minutes they will arrive back with the wrong package, rinse and repeat for the other 2 packages on that same shelf till finally they bring the 4th one over and its actually yours with your name clearly on it. Then they have to go spend 5 minutes finding a pen for you to sign for it.

OR I could use parcel motel get a text to say my package is in the box down the road, go and collect and be home in 5 minutes.
Thanks from:
14-03-2017, 13:26   #39

Speaking as someone in a relatively isolated village, I'm a big fan of the local post office. They shouldn't be looking at closing them down but expanding their range of services.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2017, 13:55   #40
Seth Brundle
Error: 404 Personality Not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little CuChulainn View Post
Speaking as someone in a relatively isolated village, I'm a big fan of the local post office. They shouldn't be looking at closing them down but expanding their range of services.
Like what?
14-03-2017, 13:56   #41
Maryanne84

Quote:
I grew up close to a very isolated village and the post office was in the shop. It has since closed, but dual purpose shop/post offices isn't a new concept.
14-03-2017, 13:59   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbannon View Post
Like what?
Currency exchange and cheque lodgements in the smaller ones for one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
I grew up close to a very isolated village and the post office was in the shop. It has since closed, but dual purpose shop/post offices isn't a new concept.
Nobody suggested it was.
14-03-2017, 14:13   #43
L1011

Quote:
Currency exchange and cheque lodgements in the smaller ones for one thing.
Low volume forex loses money. Cheque lodgements would require agreements with all banks to be of any use; if banks wanted to continue cheques they'd do mobile phone lodgement of them (photo the code numbers) like they do in the US - they want rid of them and will not do anything to encourage their usage.

Posts offices that can viably do forex have done so, for years. Most of the additional services I see being proposed here and elsewhere are either already done or utterly impractical.
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2017, 14:21   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Low volume forex loses money. Cheque lodgements would require agreements with all banks to be of any use; if banks wanted to continue cheques they'd do mobile phone lodgement of them (photo the code numbers) like they do in the US - they want rid of them and will not do anything to encourage their usage.

Posts offices that can viably do forex have done so, for years. Most of the additional services I see being proposed here and elsewhere are either already done or utterly impractical.
The ceo of an post said on morning Ireland a couple of days ago that Michael Ring TD is proposing crazy ideas like health checks at the PO
14-03-2017, 15:54   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post

I'm not suggesting it would be a viable business plan, I'm suggesting it should be considered a public service.
Forum Closed