Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the biggest windfall you've ever had?

Options
  • 27-11-2020 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭

Chinese vase sold at Irish auctioneers started bidding at 500 quid (range expected 800-1200 euro), sold for 1.2 million euro!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1127/1180933-auction-vase/

Got me thinking about unexpected windfalls, I'm sad to say nothing fits the bill for me at all.

What was yours?
    <Thinly veiled smoking out the fecker who scored big time with a bit of pottery>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

what would the fees be on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Mine was just about 1.2m on a vase earlier today...crazy day... What a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dunno but the auctioneer will be having a good Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I see there's a purchasers fee of 25% inc vat!
    I guess there's a commission too from the seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Very poor auctioneer that estimated the value so incorrectly. Doesn't deserve his or her commission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Chinese vase sold at Irish auctioneers started bidding at 500 quid (range expected 800-1200 euro), sold for 1.2 million euro!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1127/1180933-auction-vase/

Got me thinking about unexpected windfalls, I'm sad to say nothing fits the bill for me at all.

What was yours?
    <Thinly veiled smoking out the fecker who scored big time with a bit of pottery>

It happened last week after I ate that dodgy curry. Damn, there was a lot of wind around me. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

blackbox wrote: »
    Very poor auctioneer that estimated the value so incorrectly. Doesn't deserve his or her commission.

Maybe it was the buyer that was mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Being born into a good family and being lucky enough to have good friends

Most of us will never see windfalls like that, so we need to appreciate what we do have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

Never had a big windfall but when I was about five, I won a noddy balloon in a colouring contest, and that's always stood out for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Maybe it was the buyer that was mad?

Must’ve been more than just the buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I worked for a company in London for a couple of years and when they went on the stockmarket my shares turned out to be most of the deposit on my house when I moved home. Which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I worked for a company in London for a couple of years and when they went on the stockmarket my shares turned out to be most of the deposit on my house when I moved home. Which was nice.

Same.

They also tanked about 6 months later so the timing really worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

650 Euros in a hospital charity draw about 9 years ago. It was exactly one week before I was going on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

We won 50 squids on the prize bonds. The best thing was that herself gets so excited when she sees that its an envelope from Kilkenny.

Advertisement