Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child with ADHD

Options
  • 11-06-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

My son is 5 and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He is in Junior infants and struggling with the routine of school. We thought he might have had it for a few years but were brushed off by friends and family as "all kids do this, that etc.". The beginning of school was confirmation of this when we started getting notes from the teacher within the first few weeks. We got him assessed and it was confirmed by a psychologist.

The teacher sends us a briefing of his day every day- good or bad and although it had a little impact on his behaviour for a while, it has not improved for the most part, in fact they recently referred to his behaviour as it was in Sept which was at it's worst. There is an SNA in the class for another child and they give him a little time and a break to the sensory room. He will be going to Senior infants in Sept and I am absolutely dreading the transition. He is good at his work and takes it in as far as I can see but he really struggles with focusing and yard time is a particular, is a problem.

If there are any parents of ADHD kids, do you know if it would be of benefit to change schools to one with an ASD class? Does this cater to their needs a bit better and improve the experience of school for the child and the parents? Are these classes only for autistic children?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Only children with a diagnosis of ASD can attend an ASD unit .

Advertisement