Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you inspected your hives already?

Options
  • 19-03-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

I am going to do the first spring inspection this weekend (23/24 March), provided the weather is relatively warm and there is no strong wind. I have peeked inside in February and all hives looked fine then, through obviously I did not go through frames.

So excited :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I've physically looked at the hive but haven't opened it yet. Will wait another two weeks I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Went through a nuc and one hive today. Marked and clipped the queen in the nuc. Figure numbers are low and she'd be easier to spot.
    2 Frames of sealed brood.
    Hive has 5 frames of brood and doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

I'm itching to get in there but other than keeping an eye on stores, there's nothing else useful I can do right now anyway so I'll leave them to it a little longer (a couple of weeks more?). Being time-poor helps control the urges.

I've peeped under a few crownboards and spent quite a while watching. Everything looks great so far - strong colonies and still with stores. I've a feeling I'll be going from zero to ninety pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I was thinking about doing a nuc to hivd transfer today? Crazy talk.?
    Also ill get a good look at activities too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Macdarack wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing a nuc to hivd transfer today? Crazy talk.?
    Also ill get a good look at activities too.

It depends. If the nuc has 3 frames of brood, then transfer the colony into a hive now or in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Almost went to inspect today when it was really sunny. Ten minutes later the hale stones started falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I moved my hive nearly two weeks ago and checked them a few days ago. They are doing great, tonnes of stores, sealed and open brood and a good few drone cells.

Advertisement