Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astral projection

• 18-10-2020 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭

Or out of body experience!
    Years ago when I was a teenager, I remember laying on the couch after a football match and having an out of body experience, I was facing myself looking down from the ceiling (no the exorcist was happening in my house, oh It was before I was indugling in narcotics ). I remember this subject being brought up on several occassions. My father said he had an out of body experience has a teen. A woman I know had one when she lost a lot of blood giving birth.
    Now I was never frightened of the experience. But I often wonder always if I didn't re-enter my body or lost sight of my body then would I have died. I also wonder was that my soul looking down on me.

Did you ever have an out of body experience? (Drugs don't count,) and what's your experience of it?

Is it possible that its your soul that's leaving your body?

So what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes but it involved a lot of psychedelics and some horse tranquilizer, so not sure if it counts...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Yes but it involved a lot of psychedelics and some horse tranquilizer, so not sure if it counts...

In my late teens I was into mala and acid. But ive never had the same experience as an out of body one.

Kylta wrote: »
    Did you ever have an out of body experience? (Drugs don't count,) and what's your experience of it?

It can occasionally happen to me when meditating yea. You get used to it after awhile I think.
    Is it possible that its your soul that's leaving your body?

"Possible" is a powerful word. I am sure it is possible. But I do not at all think that is what is happening no.
    So what do you think?

I think this is a fun trick at parties. Not quite Out Of Body Experience but likely a similar thing going on.

It can occasionally happen to me when meditating yea. You get used to it after awhile I think.

"Possible" is a powerful word. I am sure it is possible. But I do not at all think that is what is happening no.

I think this is a fun trick at parties. Not quite Out Of Body Experience but likely a similar thing going on.

I really don't know enough about yoga to know whether you can leave your body.

In regards to maybe it being your soul, when you listen to people explaining it, they all seem fatigued at the time.

I truly never heard of it has a party trick. Maybe magician use something similar to it in hypnosis. Or maybe when your fatigued your body causes self hypnosis, I don't really know the answer to your body leaving your body. But there has to be a reason for it

Well the reason the hand thing works seems to be simple enough. Your brain uses more that one sensory input at any time to figure out where your hand is. Internal nerves and senses and your vision are two of these. The party hand trick likely works because your brain is now getting two contradicting stimulus and it has to choose which one to trust. When it makes that decision suddenly your brain flips and you think the fake hand is your real hand.

So out of body experience is most likely something similar. Your brain has many inputs telling it where your body is in space. Nerves in your butt or feet where you are sitting / standing for example. The hairs in your ears which control your sense of balance. Liquid in your ears which control your sense of up and down. Visual Queues. And much more.

So OBE is probably what happens when those things go out of sync or one or more of them simply fail. And rather than simply feel your hand/arm is now differnet to the original - you feel your entire self outside the body.

What probably doesn't help is that our brain's have a weird way of making up stories and facts when the world is not making sense.

I do not know much about Deja Vu but I would also suspect it is something similar. A simple effect caused when one or more inputs to the brain fail or go out of sync temporarily.

• Advertisement

Well the reason the hand thing works seems to be simple enough. Your brain uses more that one sensory input at any time to figure out where your hand is. Internal nerves and senses and your vision are two of these. The party hand trick likely works because your brain is now getting two contradicting stimulus and it has to choose which one to trust. When it makes that decision suddenly your brain flips and you think the fake hand is your real hand.

So out of body experience is most likely something similar. Your brain has many inputs telling it where your body is in space. Nerves in your butt or feet where you are sitting / standing for example. The hairs in your ears which control your sense of balance. Liquid in your ears which control your sense of up and down. Visual Queues. And much more.

So OBE is probably what happens when those things go out of sync or one or more of them simply fail. And rather than simply feel your hand/arm is now differnet to the original - you feel your entire self outside the body.

What probably doesn't help is that our brain's have a weird way of making up stories and facts when the world is not making sense.

I do not know much about Deja Vu but I would also suspect it is something similar. A simple effect caused when one or more inputs to the brain fail or go out of sync temporarily.

So it could be a combination of fatigue and stress causes the brain to remove or project itself from the body, to escape from whatever is making it stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's been pretty conclusively shown that OBE's don't actually involve any real floating outside the body. "Suspended figure" experiments involve hanging a piece of card with a symbol or picture on it, from the ceiling, with the picture pointing upwards.

People who claim to have experienced an OBE in that room are unable to recall any details of these pictures. A number of these experiments have been done and none have shown even a suggestion that any individual was observing their own body in real time.

Because it's all a fabrication of the mind. As the man above says, when sensory input makes no sense, the body desperately tries to find a way to make it, make sense.

seamus wrote: »
    It's been pretty conclusively shown that OBE's don't actually involve any real floating outside the body. "Suspended figure" experiments involve hanging a piece of card with a symbol or picture on it, from the ceiling, with the picture pointing upwards.

People who claim to have experienced an OBE in that room are unable to recall any details of these pictures. A number of these experiments have been done and none have shown even a suggestion that any individual was observing their own body in real time.

Because it's all a fabrication of the mind. As the man above says, when sensory input makes no sense, the body desperately tries to find a way to make it, make sense.

I think you can't really turn it on or off, I think it just happens maybe for a moment in time. I think there are people who think or maybe are savants. But my experience of it was maybe four decades ago, it would've happened maybe 3 or 4 times over say the space off a couple of weeks and never happened again.

So it could be a combination of fatigue and stress causes the brain to remove or project itself from the body, to escape from whatever is making it stressed.

It could be caused by stress and fatigue yes. But if so then I do not think it is an escapism thing. As if the brain "intends" to do anything.

I would sooner suspect it is simply a failure in the system caused by the stress/fatigue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's a fascinating idea, and one I used to think about a lot before I got older and more cynical. The idea of travelling on another plane, free of the constraints of the physical body, to commune with spirits or entities from different dimensions, or even to get a message to someone far away, is profound. It was probably even more enticing in times before world-wide, instant messaging technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They all count!

I went through an extended period of trying when i was a teenager, with limited success. I occasionally felt as though i was floating / moving but nothing i'd count as an OBE.

But then maybe ten years later - 2 big fat lines of K..job done:D

These days cynical old me feels that psychedelics are the only viable route

Maybe the human brain can do things that we haven't seen yet or maybe we don't understand it. Maybe when your stressed the brain adopts the flight or flee, idea and removes itself from the body in the form of escapism, but has to go back to the body or you die? Don't know if this is making sense?
    But in my late teens I indulged in acid, and the outer body thing was absolutely nothing like tripping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone who gets these ever read up on 'Alice in Wonderland Syndrome'?

I used to get it a lot as a kid and still get it sometimes now if I'm staring at a computer screen for a long time in a dark room.

Your perception of what's close and what's far away get really distorted.

A screen suddenly starts to feel like it's really far away, maybe at the end of a corridor. Likewise, your limbs and body might feel really long, as if they are stretching down the corridor if you were to try and touch the screen.

It can feel very out of body and detached from reality. Is more common in kids than adults.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Maybe when your stressed the brain adopts the flight or flee, idea and removes itself from the body in the form of escapism, but has to go back to the body or you die? Don't know if this is making sense?

Is that not what happens to most people when they're posting in the Current Affairs forum? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The astral plane was a Native American thing I thought. Usually visited after smoking the pipe !
    No this https://www.gaia.com/article/what-is-astral-projection

Advertisement