Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Forsa union

Options
  • 14-05-2020 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was looking for some advice. From my local knowledge of the union they're not very good. I was wondering is that due to the local reps abilities or if it is the union in general.

I have yet to see any action from the Union that impresses me. I see a lot of measures brought in by HR nationally and by local management that I cannot believe the union are so incapable of preventing.

I was wondering if anyone was passionate enough to try to persuade me it is worth the money. I have yet to see any success from the union on local issues. All they seem to be able to do is to delay implementation of things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Then join the union, participate, become a rep and help make the changes you think will advance your members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Im a member for over ten years (previously impact) and have found them very helpful both with a issue I had myself and on a national negotiating level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

if you cannot beleive tyhe union are so incapable of preventing something then you should lace up your boots and give it a go yourself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shesastute

There have certainly been issues with Forsa since the merger of various unions. Communication and support seems to be a major issue, for our branch anyway (formerly PSEU), so much so that our branch committee stepped down in unison. Some benefited from the merger but I'm not so sure it was the members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I sent a query to forsa February 2019, still have not got a response :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

I find Forsa pretty poor as a union. They always deflect any problems or rather sit on them , especially the issues in the Dept of Justice and Equality. They are not a strong union and are happy to pander to management just for an easy life .Unfortunately we do not have a strong union representation in Ireland , not like Spain or France

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

I think you're better off being in forsa than not being in any union at all. They managed to bring back flexi time and flexi leave for office staff and they say they are now seeking to bring back flexi leave for remote working staff due to cv19 arrangements. Unfortunately currently remote staff cannot take flexi leave. Guess we'll have to watch this space to see what happens.

If everyone left the unions what would happen come pay negotiation time, there would be less pay increases and more of a squeeze on working conditions. Sort if like a never ending 2008 to 2012.

True. I would recommend you join for a while to give it a chance anyway. To get the best out of it you really should try get involved yourself if you have the time.

https://www.forsa.ie/largest-ever-employee-survey-reveals-huge-appetite-for-remote-working/

Link here to forsa submission on government consultation on remote working.

Here forsa are recommending same working conditions for remote working staff. Not sure if they are lobbying government on the issue any further than this submission. Wait and see what happens I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

Hi,

I recently joined the public sector. I'm just looking to get people's opinion. I fully intend on joining Forsa but is there any benefit to joining Forsa before I pass my probation period?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

If you join the union within a year of starting work, then you don't need to do a medical for the Income Continuance Plan. Unfortunately, I waited. Our local branch aren't great and they didn't even bother their arses to come and speak to the new entrants when we arrived. In between joining the PS and joining Forsa, I developed an auto immune disorder and the ICP won't cover me for that now.

If you are a CO, you pay extra but get extra benefits such as some money back on dental and optical "events". I've got contributions towards glasses and towards dental procedures. And their calendars are nice.

When I had a problem, our own branch weren't interested (surprise, surprise) and while Dublin were pleasant, they were more concerned about the bigger picture rather than mine. They didn't want to rock the boat because they were involved in negotiations.

Despite the fact that many people working from home are now working silly hours - regularly working 40 hours +, the union has stayed very quiet. Everyone willingly accepted that we had to give up one of the major perks of the job - flexi time - when the Covid crisis erupted. Because we thought it was a temporary, emergency measure. 20 months on, there is no sign of Covid abating, and work conditions have changed dramatically. People WERE starting to return to the office, in some cases being forced to return to the office, and there don't appear to have been any directives from the union. Certainly where I work, there is absolutely no confidence in the local branch and not very much in the national branch. Lots of people have left the union, and those that remain are disillusioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Would very much agree with this - I've found in different workplaces in both the public and private sectors that how good the union branch is depends on the people involved. If your branch isn't great and you think it needs to be more proactive, consider stepping up. I was happy to be in SIPTU in my old workplace because, while I have a pretty low opinion of the union leadership nationally, the branch chair went out of her way to help me when I had a difficulty and helped resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

Thanks for such a detailed response. Is the ICP good value? The organisation I'm in offers employees an ICP from an external partner.

Can definitely see what you're talking about regards doing extra hours with Covid. Also there's a policy on Time off in Lieu but it seems to be getting ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

People join Forsa because they offer the ICP. As an EO or higher you receive zero benefits. At pay talks you are represented by the board that are all on 100k plus. They dont care what you get and see themselves as heroes when the get you 1% a year increase.

Tom Geraghty was a joke. Told everyone Croke Park was the way forward then told us Haddington Road was.

Save your union dues and buy yourself something nice.  

I've been a member of civil service unions for 30+ years, but in recent times since they all amalgamated and became Forsa, I have found them utterly useless. Not once did they attempt to do a survey of members on what their preferences / expectations would be in terms of WFH after Covid. Not once.

Only for the ICP plan I would be leaving. Ironically, they have just this week announced they are relaunching the scheme, but with an increase of 0.55% of gross salary to cover the extra benefits.

https://forsatradeunion.newsweaver.com/designtest/1maz8rn8oyl2hmlvle4bht?email=true&lang=en&a=1&p=61807187&t=30063868

Advertisement