Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have any good quality photos of British Army checkpoints on the border?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Especially at Aughnacloy. We passed through that checkpoint dozens of times when I was a kid so out of bizarre nostalgia I'm looking for photos of it. The only ones I found online were pretty low quality ones from around the time of Aidan McAnespie's murder. When I pass there now, it's hard to picture in my mind's eye exactly where it was and its layout. I'd be interested in pics of the Aughnacloy one or any of the other ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

I doubt you'll find any- I remember big notices on the checkpoint in Aughnacloy and Newry saying no photography allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I doubt you'll find any- I remember big notices on the checkpoint in Aughnacloy and Newry saying no photography allowed

+ 1 . OP , check out the website for Pacemaker Press , one of Northern Ireland's main news photo agencies , they may well have what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I will move this to the photography forum.

Some of the people there may have some suitable photos in their archives or may be able to point to where they could be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

Never been up the North, so I'm not sure on the set up at checkpoints, however, if you stood on the Republic side, in a public place & photographed in to a checkpoint, they can't do anything much about it I suspect, unless there are Gardaí/Irish Army present who will prevent this.

I am going up to Castleblaney in Sept and want to pop over the border to Crossmaglen to get some shots of murals etc and a checkpoint was also on the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the checkpoints weren't actually physically on the border, though, the one in aughnacloy was about half a mile or a mile into the six counties, so there was no get out of jail clause of photographing it from irish soil.

i think all the checkpoints have been disassembled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

If you are interested in photographs of NI watch towers, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Donovan-Wylie-Watchtowers-Lousie-Purbrick/dp/3865214991

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Especially at Aughnacloy. We passed through that checkpoint dozens of times when I was a kid so out of bizarre nostalgia I'm looking for photos of it. The only ones I found online were pretty low quality ones from around the time of Aidan McAnespie's murder. When I pass there now, it's hard to picture in my mind's eye exactly where it was and its layout. I'd be interested in pics of the Aughnacloy one or any of the other ones.

18.jpg

_44775135_aughnacloyscene.jpg

Just a google image search

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

davmigil wrote: »
    If you are interested in photographs of NI watch towers, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Donovan-Wylie-Watchtowers-Lousie-Purbrick/dp/3865214991

Went to see that exhibition in the Gallery of Photography in Temple Bar. Most unimpressive collection of snaps I have ever seen somebody attempt to classify as 'photography'. Cannot believe it got published :P

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Telchak wrote: »
    Went to see that exhibition in the Gallery of Photography in Temple Bar. Most unimpressive collection of snaps I have ever seen somebody attempt to classify as 'photography'. Cannot believe it got published :P

Seen that too. Wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Do you have better?

• Advertisement

Do you have better?

As a project to catalogue historical sites it's fine. However, photographically, 95% of the photos on this website are better and most will never be given space in an art gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

As a project to catalogue historical sites it's fine. However, photographically, 95% of the photos on this website are better and most will never be given space in an art gallery.

for some definition of the word 'better'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here lads, get off your high horses.

Right, apparently nobody agrees with my particular opinions of what photography constitutes art :P Each to his own, but I guess I'm sorry for sending things a bit off topic here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

See that picture of the checkpoint? Where that brown car is, I lived at the bottom of that road for years, about a hundred yards from the checkpoint itself. Having done so, I have absolutely *no* idea why *anyone* on earth would have fond memories of Aughnacloy.. <involuntary shudder>...

As for images, they'll be few and far between I'm afraid. The official secrets act expressly forbade any photography of security installations. Wiley's images are the watchtowers, mostly around south armagh, so you'll have no joy there. Your best bet is news footage. There was a young lad shot by the army in the early 80s as he went to the GAA pitch just through the checkpoint. They claimed it was a ricochet from a warning shot because he ran, but that was disputed. You might get some footage of the checkpoint from stories about that - he was shot just outside it. I'll see if I can dig up his name. Other than that, it was blown up a few times, once with a HUGE 3000lb bomb, and there were some heavy mortar attacks. There could be news footage of that archived somewhere. Not exactly the images you want to remind you of your childhood I'm sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah I see you already know about McAnespie.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This is a photo rich blog by an occupier

we used to pass through aughnacloy eight times a year (generally four trips to inishowen). my brother used to insist on bringing his pillow with him, which he had a habit of referring to as his 'bomb', which would have been unfortunate had it come up while at the crossing.

Advertisement