Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grievance with Church of Ireland

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Del.Monte wrote: »
    After all the posts it's still not clear whether the OP's father attended his local church i.e. is he known to the rector?

I think this is a very valid question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

smacl wrote: »
    I think this is a very valid question.

I asked this question a long time back and didn't get an answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

If Someone is 85 years old, Belonging to the Parish since he was a School Kid,

Regular Church Goer all His Life, Till Covid Came.

Seen Many Decent Clergymen Pass through the Church including the Now Two Amigos,

Do i really have to Say Anymore. ( Is That Not Good Enough Seriously )

Two Clergymen and an Archbishop Dead Silence Live with it Folks Thats the Way the Church Is Going.

Not one Rector From the CoI has bothered to even Reply or Give an Answer or Defend there Organisation here , Now Why is That ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭brian_t

torrevieja wrote: »
    Not one Rector From the CoI has bothered to even Reply or Give an Answer or Defend there Organisation here , Now Why is That ....

There is only one Church leader that I am aware of who is a registered user of Boards and he leads an Evangelical Alliance church.

( That's not CoI )

So we Don't Get any Church of Ireland Rectors in here Reading these Columns,

Prob too Busy Anyway

Ah Fair Enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Prob too Busy Anyway

Ah Fair Enough

How would we know?
    Unless they identified themselves as such.

What happens when you pick up the phone and talk to this guy?
    Ask him why he has ignored your Dad, and let us know how it fares out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Prob too Busy Anyway

Ah Fair Enough

Don't know what the situation is with CoI but I'm aware of a number of Catholic parishes where there are fewer priests, many of whom are well past retirement age, who have an increased workload due to falling vocations. Very easy for things to be missed in this scenario. I'd humbly suggest talking by phone to the rector you have issue with and figure out what the problem is rather than speculating here, which frankly isn't likely to achieve that much. While it could well be a case of neglect as you're suggesting, it is always worth talking to the other person to hear their side of the story. You never really know what they might be facing, particularly in times such as these. While face to face is usually best, it isn't really an option at the moment. I'd recommend phone over text or letter, as the latter are really vehicles for you talking rather than engaging in a conversation. Just my 2c...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Also perhaps worth bearing in mind that a parish is not just the rector, but the whole parish community. The parish community should support elderly, lonely or vulnerable people but it's not especially necessary that all the support should be provided directly by the rector. In a healthy parish people will look after one another; the rector may have a leadership role to play in this, making sure that it happens, etc, but it's not necessary that he personally be the front-line provider of care and comfort to everyone in need.

I wouldn't be asking what the rector has done in this regard; I'd be asking what the parish has done. And if the parish has done nothing, then maybe talk to the rector not about why he hasn't contacted a person in need of support, but about why no-one has contacted that person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Also perhaps worth bearing in mind that a parish is not just the rector, but the whole parish community. The parish community should support elderly, lonely or vulnerable people but it's not especially necessary that all the support should be provided directly by the rector. In a healthy parish people will look after one another; the rector may have a leadership role to play in this, making sure that it happens, etc, but it's not necessary that he personally be the front-line provider of care and comfort to everyone in need.

I wouldn't be asking what the rector has done in this regard; I'd be asking what the parish has done. And if the parish has done nothing, then maybe talk to the rector not about why he hasn't contacted a person in need of support, but about why no-one has contacted that person.

Above is exactly what I asked in my #36 post. The OP replied that other parishioners were in contact, so at least that community is answering the need.

There are too many strange things about this, the free car, the two Rectors, definitely strange. Not contacting parishioners, yes, that one I definitely believe.

• Advertisement

I have left numerous messages on phone and texts nothing no reply

it's not especially necessary that all the support should be provided directly by the rector. i disagree with this comment, Parishoners look up to there Rectors Curates etc, for Guidance. Support, Faith, All three are Missing Now

Advertisement