Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I suppose there is only so long a party can get by on talk and waffle!

Good riddance to the snake !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-faces-backlash-as-fg-set-to-abandon-verona-murphy-38744117.html

Seems Leo is going to learn a leadership lesson the hard way. Several FG TDs worried about their place on the gravy train.

lets be honest half the party didnt want varadkar in in the first place, so i suspect at the first opportunity he will be gone he doesnt seem like he has teh politcal smarts to out manouvre opponents (i could bre wrong on that one though)
    hes ok until the election though - if that goes badly i would think he would be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Let’s be honest varadkar is nowhere near as good a leader as the spin led FG to believe

They backed the wrong horse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

lets be honest half the party didnt want varadkar in in the first place, so i suspect at the first opportunity he will be gone he doesnt seem like he has teh politcal smarts to out manouvre opponents (i could bre wrong on that one though)
    hes ok until the election though - if that goes badly i would think he would be gone

Off on the first flight to Brussels for a cushy number no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't think leo has done badly as Taoiseach, just not been remarkable.
    I'd prefer him to smarmy Micheal Martin - who - lest we forget - was part of FF cabinet in the bad old days of corruption.

Coveney would probably be a better bet than either. But it's difficult to be Taoiseach when the vocal minority of lunatics are being elected from far left

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If FF had any sort of competent leadership, they would have ousted FG already. FG ran rings around Martin, imagine him on the world stage getting absolutely mugged off by strongman leaders.

Leo will feck off to the EU. All those years of bootlicking will pay off for him.

If FF had any sort of competent leadership, they would have ousted FG already. FG ran rings around Martin, imagine him on the world stage getting absolutely mugged off by strongman leaders.

Leo will feck off to the EU. All those years of bootlicking will pay off for him.
    +1

I think Martin is destined for his place in history all the same.....

.... first FF leader not to be taoiseach

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1

I think Martin is destined for his place in history all the same.....

.... first FF leader not to be taoiseach

No fan of MM or FF but he's on target to be Taoiseach as it currently stands. Too much going against FG for them to be returned to power, far too many screw ups. Martin played the game and he's winning tbh.

No fan of MM or FF but he's on target to be Taoiseach as it currently stands. Too much going against FG for them to be returned to power, far too many screw ups. Martin played the game and he's winning tbh.

I can't see him as Taoiseach. He was around Bertie's cabinet. People won't vote him back.

I will be voting FG (as I have done since 2011) as there is no other credible option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

It's a bye election folks calm down. They never go good for ruling party

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Simon Coveney ready to pounce!

It's a bye election folks calm down. They never go good for ruling party
    It's 4 bye elections where the ruling party lost an established seat and failed to win others.

I agree it's not the end of the road or anything but the thread is valid.

I can't see him as Taoiseach. He was around Bertie's cabinet. People won't vote him back.

I will be voting FG (as I have done since 2011) as there is no other credible option.

It's doesn't matter whether you see him as Taoiseach or not, he has been returned by his constituency in 2011/2016 he has already been voted for twice, two seats gained in the Bye elections seems the voters have accepted a rehabilitated FF, as an aside FF's rehabilitation is to a degree the responsibility of FG.
    Ah the no other 'credible option', I remember hearing that repeatably said about the out going FG/LAB government in 2016. Didn't work out too well iirc .

Ah the no other 'credible option'
    Well FF are another option but there are in no way alternative. FF AND FG ARE THE SAME ****ING PARTY!! There will be exactly zero difference in the experience of the ordinary worker if FF win. Although I am so sick of Leo and Co's pathetic waffle that i'd probably welcome a change of faces.

Last two elections I voted fg. No other credible option ? Fg are currently a credible option ? They are ff , but with more arrogance !

• Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

Get Martin back in the seat instead of those posh boys.

When a recession comes we'll be suffering anyways so we might as well enjoy the good times, not suffering like we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

It's 4 bye elections where the ruling party lost an established seat and failed to win others.

I agree it's not the end of the road or anything but the thread is valid.

Ruling parties have lost the last 40 by-elections bar one.

Winning a seat on friday would have been a herculean achievement.

Sloppy_Joe wrote: »
    Get Martin back in the seat instead of those posh boys.

When a recession comes we'll be suffering anyways so we might as well enjoy the good times, not suffering like we are now.

Hopefully we get the imf back in. One humility in a few years isn’t enough obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not a fan of Leo but they came 2nd in 3 of the by-elections except where they ran a washed up dinosaur (Reilly).
    It's a bad result in terms of the arithmetic of the Dail for sure but then as governing party running TDs for Europe was going to make yourself a hostage to fortune.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Well FF are another option but there are in no way alternative. FF AND FG ARE THE SAME ****ING PARTY!! There will be exactly zero difference in the experience of the ordinary worker if FF win. Although I am so sick of Leo and Co's pathetic waffle that i'd probably welcome a change of faces.

FF are more left wing hair brained fiscally though. Ah sure give the pensioners and the dolers more money.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Last two elections I voted fg. No other credible option ? Fg are currently a credible option ? They are ff , but with more arrogance !

FG are more to the right compared to FF, (fiscally not socially), I think they manage the finances better, therefore I will continue to vote FG until a right wing party with liberal social policies comes along

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

FF may win an election despite martin being leader, not because of him.

I have a feeling the indo are being nice to FF lately because they see that FF would be more amenable to the broadcasting charge and use it as a slush fund to prop up INM and RTE , watch this space, if martin ends up in the hot seat we’ll be back to bailing out failed institutions.

FG are more to the right compared to FF, (fiscally not socially), I think they manage the finances better, therefore I will continue to vote FG until a right wing party with liberal social policies comes along

National Children's hospital and National Boardband plan are not examples of a party that manage the state finances in a prudent manner.

Have u seen the thread on the luxury apartments been given to the dolers ? This is happening on fg watch !!

Rewarding work , lol!! Another party that rewards sitting on your h*le!!

Independents 4 Change lost two seats to FG’s one. Just sayin!

Sitting government’s rarely do good in by elections.

Have u seen the thread on the luxury apartments been given to the dolers ? This is happening on fg watch !!

Where did it say luxury or other apartments are being given to doalers? Your lack of understanding of the tree “social housing” shows your ignorance of real workers lives.

National Children's hospital and National Boardband plan are not examples of a party that manage the state finances in a prudent manner.
    true. but look at the stuff FF presided over last time round. many of the same people still knocking around including MM! The report recommending the new Children's Hospital came out in 2006.

Independents 4 Change lost two seats to FG’s one. Just sayin!

This makes absolutely no sense , poor attempt at deflection tbh. The two former I4C TDs are currently occupying seats in Europe.
    FG did expect to hold the seat vacated by F Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

FG are in a minority (13/39) on DLR county council, which is delivering that scheme...

http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=PARTY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Any government who thinks its ok to spend €3,000 a month to rent plush Dundrum flats off a cuckoo fund for social housing has lost the run of itself. Pure and simple.
    It shows contempt for the long suffering hard working people who have to commute from Wexford and Portlaoise to hold down a job in Dublin.
    But Michael Martin presided over that other shower of gob****es who put the country into receivership 10 years ago.
    We have literally nobody to vote for.

Advertisement