Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgot vs. Leinster, Saturday 30th November 7.35PM (Eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 2)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A-Train

That’s a great performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Top spot wrapped up for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Incredible win.....I thought after the first 10 mins Glasgow would win it.....Leinster then just turned it around and huge win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Monumental performance considering the strength of that Glasgow team on paper, especially to deny a conference rival a LBP.

Hard not to smile when you see the strength in depth with lads like Connors stepping up massively and the likes of Keenan and the O'Brien's slotting in to the starting team without a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Fair play Leinster, thought at the start it could have gone the other way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The second half has been a masterclass from Leinster. Built up huge possession and territory against Glasgow and eked out the penalties that out them out of reach. And when Glasgow had a rare attacking opportunity we slammed on the accelerator in defence and knocked them back behind the gainline.

That final Glasgow attack epitomised Leinsters desire. The game was already won for them, but they wouldn't give an inch to Glasgow. They went through 30 phases of possession but ended up further away from Leinsters line than when they started.

Jaysus. Lot's of eating in that.

Malony probably motm, JGP thereabouts and Tracey as deserving as both.

Leinster are SO much better coached than Glasgow and honestly look to have better conditioning amongst the second string.

This is a much more significant result than I expect will be made of it. Scottish rugby in absolute shambles, Edinburgh barely win against a 2/3 Munster and now Glasgow are well beaten at home against a 2/3 Leinster.

Scarlets almost nilled by Ulster.

Great to see the Irish sides wearing the world cup disappointment on their sleeves, but the competition is in trouble with results like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Will "Ah Stop" Connors

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ah stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Will "Ah Stop" Connors

Where's he from?

• Advertisement

Kildare

Given his penchant for the chop tackle it's actually a perfect nickname.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Did Scott Penny stay on the bench despite a starting flanker departing in the opening minutes with an injury?

Seems odd. Is he fit? Fawley also stayed on the bench despite being able to cover multiple positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

If I was an Aussie rugby supporter, then on the basis of the last three Glasgow games, I'd be less than delighted about getting Dave Rennie as my country's new national coach.

171170 wrote: »
    If I was an Aussie rugby supporter, then on the basis of the last three Glasgow games, I'd be less than delighted about getting Dave Rennie as my country's new national coach.

If you were an Aussie rugby supporter, Aussie rugby support would have just doubled.

171170 wrote: »

Not uncommon for teams to lose focus when the head coach is departing. Whilst I don't entirely agree, many feel Joe's announced departure had an impact on the Ireland team.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not uncommon for teams to lose focus when the head coach is departing. Whilst I don't entirely agree, many feel Joe's announced departure had an impact on the Ireland team.

Yet three of the four RWC semi finalists all had coaches who announced they would be leaving after the RWC.

Didn't do them any harm....

I think this claim of teams losing something when coaches announce departure is completely oversold most of the time. Usually a coach leaving is because they have brought the team as far as they can.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yet three of the four RWC semi finalists all had coaches who announced they would be leaving after the RWC.

Didn't do them any harm....

I think this claim of teams losing something when coaches announce departure is completely oversold most of the time. Usually a coach leaving is because they have brought the team as far as they can.

It's less of an issue when you've a cyclical goal like the world Cup. This is a club team losing a fairly big name coach, it's not quite the same but as I said earlier, I don't fully buy into the notion myself.

Rennie leaving has nothing to do with it, Schmidt leaving had nothing to do with our RWC, it's just fitting a narrative around the fact of what is happening.

• Advertisement

I'm delighted by the result and performance. So many of our younger players are stepping up and putting pressure on the more senior players. If they don't perform consistently well they'll be replaced by someone in a heartbeat. And in fairness our senior players have responded well. The likes of VdF and Sexton have been in great form since returning.

It's getting harder and harder to distinguish between the first and second string these days. That's brilliant as we've a deep squad of talented players to choose from. But the challenge is now to keep everyone happy. They'll have lots of suitors from abroad and in the other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Buer wrote: »
    Did Scott Penny stay on the bench despite a starting flanker departing in the opening minutes with an injury?

Seems odd. Is he fit? Fawley also stayed on the bench despite being able to cover multiple positions?

Dowling's a far more like-for-like replacement for Murphy than Penny would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Are Glasgow that good anymore? That might be the question more relevant

They won the Pro14 how many years ago and have done very little since. When they come up against a decent team in HC they normally fail. They have beaten Leinster in a few games but when it matter Leinster wn. The Pro14 final and in the HC recently when they won with bonus home and away

Some of their best player have left and they have some exciting players going forward but shut them down and they look average

Still saying that I would have expected them to beat a changed Leinster team.

The result did show that the likes of Maloney etc have really started to step up. I thought R Byrne was exceptional again and really controlled the game. I will say it again, I’m absolutely baffled by Ireland overlooking him. Sexton only matured into the player he is around the same age as Byrne.

With Ross and Harry moving forward I think it looks good for Leinster.

It won’t take long now till the press and other provinces start crying about the back row and Leinster should send xyz to another club.....my money is on them starting withDoris

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Shefwedfan wrote: »

They won the Pro14 how many years ago and have done very little since.

They were in the final 6 months ago...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They were in the final 6 months ago...

They keep haemorrhaging their best players though. Hogg plays for Exeter now and they lost Russell the season before last. They can't be expected to lose their test quality and keep making finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It'll be interesting to see the effects in the 6N of the turmoil to the other Celtic unions are going through.

The Welsh have been abysmal at club level, and they've lost most of their international coaching setup in Gatland, McBride, and Edwards, and likely Howley if his judgement is a bad one this month.

Townsend is faced with the fact that a good chunk of his starting players aren't playing in Scotland these days, Hogg, Russell, Maitland, Dell and Laidlaw, and Glasgow not exactly kicking on this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Shefwedfan wrote: »

They won the Pro14 how many years ago and have done very little since. When they come up against a decent team in HC they normally fail. They have beaten Leinster in a few games but when it matter Leinster wn. The Pro14 final and in the HC recently when they won with bonus home and away

Some of their best player have left and they have some exciting players going forward but shut them down and they look average

Still saying that I would have expected them to beat a changed Leinster team.

The result did show that the likes of Maloney etc have really started to step up. I thought R Byrne was exceptional again and really controlled the game. I will say it again, I’m absolutely baffled by Ireland overlooking him. Sexton only matured into the player he is around the same age as Byrne.

With Ross and Harry moving forward I think it looks good for Leinster.

It won’t take long now till the press and other provinces start crying about the back row and Leinster should send xyz to another club.....my money is on them starting withDoris

Tend to agree re Glasgow. Their coach is leaving at end of season to take on massive task of reigniting Australian national team. He must already have one eye on what lies ahead.
    As against Exeter, they faded badly in second half vs largely a second string Leinster and Scotstoun is looking less than the fortress it once was. Edinburgh may well end up this season as the better of the 2 Scottish sides.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Whatever about Glasgow's level of performance this was a very creditable win for a largely shadow Leinster selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Whatever about Glasgow's level of performance this was a very creditable win for a largely shadow Leinster selection.

Absolutely spot on. Leinster have IMHO an All Blacks culture. They can put out a virtual second string side and win against other teams in their league. They decimated a good Connacht side away with a mix and match of first/second choice players and won in Glasgow without any of their main marquee players. Impressive indeed.

Advertisement