Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    So no Hendy or Addison for Connacht (and beyond)...I assume we will go in fully loaded for the first game, win that (or even get 2 points) and we are in the play offs and van send the kids out against Leinster.

Possible team for Connacht then?

1 McGrath
    2 Herring
    3 Moore
    4 Carter
    5 Treadwell
    6 Rea
    7 Murphy
    8 Coetzee
    9 Cooney
    10 Burns
    11 Gilroy
    12 McCloskey
    13 Marshall
    14 Balacoune
    15 Stockdale

Bench
    McBurney
    O'Sullivan
    O'Toole
    O'connor
    Reidy
    Matthewson
    Madigan
    Ludik/Faddes/Moore/Hume/Lowry

No.23 could be anyone, personally I'd get Moore in there ASAP, but in terms of versatility the smart play is Ludik or Faddes.

Even without Henderson and Addison that's a good squad.

Petsonally, I'd go:

McGrath
    Herring
    Moore
    Carter
    O'Connor
    Tea
    Murphy
    Coetzee
    Cooney
    Burns
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Marshall
    Baloucoune
    Lowry

O'Sullivan
    MaChinery
    O'Toole
    Treadwell
    Trust
    Mathewson
    Madigan
    Faddes

Treadwell is more athletic, and good to have on fresh in the last twenty. For me, O'Connor is better at the nitty gritty, still.

I do think Lowry's good enough at FB against Connacht. Madigan covers 10, 12 and 15, so we want someone who can cover wing (and Faddes has also played 13).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ludik at fifteen or on the wing, though. I could well imagine Stockdale starting at 15 and Louis on the left wing. McFarland clearly rates his consistency - and it has been very important for us in the past.

The wild card is Milasinovich - but this is a crunch game, and we know O'Toole can deliver.

Petsonally, I'd go:

McGrath
    Herring
    Moore
    Carter
    O'Connor
    Tea
    Murphy
    Coetzee
    Cooney
    Burns
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Marshall
    Baloucoune
    Lowry

O'Sullivan
    MaChinery
    O'Toole
    Treadwell
    Trust
    Mathewson
    Madigan
    Faddes

Treadwell is more athletic, and good to have on fresh in the last twenty. For me, O'Connor is better at the nitty gritty, still.

I do think Lowry's good enough at FB against Connacht. Madigan covers 10, 12 and 15, so we want someone who can cover wing (and Faddes has also played 13).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ludik at fifteen or on the wing, though. I could well imagine Stockdale starting at 15 and Louis on the left wing. McFarland clearly rates his consistency - and it has been very important for us in the past.

The wild card is Milasinovich - but this is a crunch game, and we know O'Toole can deliver.

Definitely keep an eye out for Tea and MaChinery. Two very exciting upcoming Oyster players...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Definitely keep an eye out for Tea and MaChinery. Two very exciting upcoming Oyster players...

I just thought that was a cue to bring on Ethel with the trolley......:D:D

Good folks in The Other Forum pointing out that Johnny Stewart and A.N. Other are missing from that photo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Players are dropping like flies at every province now.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1295689001282809856?s=19

Just saw that. FFS.

Is Jones the taxi off the rank in the back row?

Disappointed for the Cat, but a good choice of back-ups; Lyttle, Faddes, Gilroy. Thought he was going to see international game time this autumn - hope he still does; he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

Just saw that. FFS.

Is Jones the taxi off the rank in the back row?

Or will Rea jnr jump the queue

launish116 wrote: »
    Or will Rea jnr jump the queue

That's what I'd hope for, in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Disappointed for the Cat, but a good choice of back-ups; Lyttle, Faddes, Gilroy. Thought he was going to see international game time this autumn - hope he still does; he deserves it.

It would have been great to see him given a run.
    Hate seeing speedsters getting Hamstring surgery. Esp. so young. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Aaron Sexton back with Ulster or is he still with the 7’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    Think he's with 7s but with uncertainty of 7s world series along with everything else who knows what long term plan is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It would have been great to see him given a run.
    Hate seeing speedsters getting Hamstring surgery. Esp. so young. Fingers crossed.

It sounds like a bad one too...hopefully not POCesque in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

stephen_n wrote: »

Training with Academy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Any word on where Nathan Doak is playing for Ulster in preseason, 9 or 10?

I noticed in pictures that Conor McMenamin is training with seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It sounds like a bad one too...hopefully not POCesque in 2015.

& for a winger. not good. hope he gets back up to speed so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

& for a winger. not good. hope he gets back up to speed so to speak.

After surgery, the patient will need to keep weight off of the affected leg to protect the repair. In addition to using crutches, he may need a brace that keeps the hamstring in a relaxed position. How long he will need these aids will depend on the location of the injury. The physical therapy program will begin with gentle stretches to improve flexibility and range of motion. Strengthening exercises will gradually be added to the plan.
    Rehabilitation for a proximal (the pelvis attachment) hamstring reattachment typically takes at least 6 months, due to the severity of the injury. Distal (shin) hamstring reattachments require approximately 3 months of rehabilitation before returning to athletic activities. Realistically for Baloucoune it will be towards Easter next year for a full return to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

Any word on where Nathan Doak is playing for Ulster in preseason, 9 or 10?

I noticed in pictures that Conor McMenamin is training with seniors.

Viewed as a 9 going forward.

RuPi wrote: »
    Viewed as a 9 going forward.

Good news if Stewart isn't actually about after all.

• Advertisement

If we have Madigan (10, 12, 15), Faddes (11, 13, 14, 15), Ludik (11, 14, 15) and Stockdale (11, 13, 15) in our 23, could we risk having a 6/2 split on the bench? Rea Jr, O'Connor Jr, Jones or another forward in reserve? Assuming Timoney is the primary bench backrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster team to play Connacht, Guinness PRO14 Round 14, Sunday 23 August at Aviva Stadium (kick-off 4.30pm, live on Premier Sports & TG4):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Craig Gilroy, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Louis Ludik, Billy Burns (Capt.), John Cooney;
    (1-8) Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Matthew Rea, Alby Mathewson, Ian Madigan, Michael Lowry.

Would've loved to see Baloucoune push on but not meant to be I guess. Stockdale at 15 is interesting, not much experimenting going on or young players being given minutes which is to be expected as the team has to get sorted before asap. Hume was looking tidy before his injury, hopefully he can hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So Glasgow losing to Edinburgh means we've qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

So Glasgow losing to Edinburgh means we've qualified.

And as Munster are 5 points behind and have 2 less wins you will be away to Edinburgh in that match. Tough fixture but definitely winnable for Ulster. Also effectively have 2 warm up games for it now

And as Munster are 5 points behind and have 2 less wins you will be away to Edinburgh in that match. Tough fixture but definitely winnable for Ulster. Also effectively have 2 warm up games for it now

Problem is playing in a silent stadium with nary a member of the public to be seen is second nature to Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Problem is playing in a silent stadium with nary a member of the public to be seen is second nature to Edinburgh.

Harsh but true.

So. Poor performance, poor result.

Need to get back into the swing of things sharpish. The word i'd use for that game, honestly, is "lackadaisical".

Lineout was atrocious, and it wasn't just McBurney - there was one lift on Treadwell and I think they got him a foot and a half off the ground as the ball arced above him. And I thought we missed Baloucoune, actually.

Any positives?

No injuries to key players. All fit to fight another day.
    Treadwell worked hard and rolled his sleeves up.
    Good to see Eric O'Sullivan get a full half, and I thought our back up front row looked good in the scrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

So. Poor performance, poor result.

Need to get back into the swing of things sharpish. The word i'd use for that game, honestly, is "lackadaisical".

Lineout was atrocious, and it wasn't just McBurney - there was one lift on Treadwell and I think they got him a foot and a half off the ground as the ball arced above him. And I thought we missed Baloucoune, actually.

Any positives?

No injuries to key players. All fit to fight another day.
    Treadwell worked hard and rolled his sleeves up.
    Good to see Eric O'Sullivan get a full half, and I thought our back up front row looked good in the scrums.

Positives
    - O’Sullivan & O’Toole went very well. Was expecting O’Toole to struggle against Buckley.
    - Mathewson is keen and looked very good
    - much needed game time for the players
    - Good to see Carter & Rea back
    - Agreed on Treadwell, was hungry

Negatives
    - Moore and McGrath need some serious conditioning, shown up by replacements
    - Lineout, completely agreed that the lifting was dire and causing issues, note soley the throwing
    - optional defending
    - stand start Crash ball so predictable and one of runners getting stopped on game line.
    - Timoney is not a 6/8, albeit he did very well of the back of the scrum for his try

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

launish116 wrote: »
    Positives
    - O’Sullivan & O’Toole went very well. Was expecting O’Toole to struggle against Buckley.
    - Mathewson is keen and looked very good
    - much needed game time for the players
    - Good to see Carter & Rea back
    - Agreed on Treadwell, was hungry

Negatives
    - Moore and McGrath need some serious conditioning, shown up by replacements
    - Lineout, completely agreed that the lifting was dire and causing issues, note soley the throwing
    - optional defending
    - stand start Crash ball so predictable and one of runners getting stopped on game line.
    - Timoney is not a 6/8, albeit he did very well of the back of the scrum for his try

I thought Moore looked shockingly bad for a Professional player. I know he's never been the gym bunny type , but he looked in truly atrocious condition yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It looked like Moore had been on the Ben Tamifuna training plan. I know he was never lean but my memory of him when he was at Leinster was that he was mobile. I didn't see much of him at Wasps. Was he injured a lot?

Advertisement