Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Correcting you and your blind ignorance to the arts and culture! Seriously, modern music isn't culture?

I've been & stayed on the island you live on plenty of times under my own steam Graces! No need for the subsidised ferry!

Sigh... Peace! Real culture is above and beneath all art. It IS art. Nature IS art.

That is my way and as valid as any other. Especially in this particular thread. So you have no valid reason to correct anyone. Bless you!

Good night and sleep well..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The arts may not be essential to you, but to others, the written and spoken word, architecture, music, visual arts and collaborations are what makes people happy. And they are loved throughout the world.

Agriculture is a true culture, there's no doubt about that. There's also subcultures, music, the arts on your island.. what you'd consider the "frills" but you obviously don't have an interest in these.

There not subcultures

Graces7 is gas, she harps on about how wonderful, remote and peaceful rural life is and then spends all her time on d'internet......

lol.. not all day. just closing down for the next 18 hours or more.. no music no TV just windsong

You are all such fascinating folk! So interesting!
    Writing a book you see..research..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sigh... Peace! Real culture is above and beneath all art

No, you're wrong. Read a book before you write one!

Culture is the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

Nature is the natural environment, the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations.

G'night all. Thanks for the grand company on a dark day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

lol.. not all day. just closing down for the next 18 hours or more.. no music no TV just windsong

You are all such fascinating folk! So interesting!
    Writing a book you see..research..

I'm a native culchie turf muncher ;), so don't be calling me fascinating or interesting, you're only an ould blow in with you're big fancy words, take it back, I tell ou, take it back:D

Why have you posted a blank message?

Goodnight..

No, you're wrong. Read a book before you write one!

Culture is the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

Nature is the natural environment, the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth, as opposed to humans or human creations.

Ya know what they say John_Rambo, there's a book in everyone! But for most people that's where it should stay!!! boom boom!

Why have you posted a blank message?

Goodnight..

I didn't, I just corrected you, look, don't get offended, you got it wrong.

Good Afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Graces7 is gas, she harps on about how wonderful, remote and peaceful rural life is and then spends all her time on d'internet......

Why are people not supposed to use the internet in the countryside?
    Not really 100% I understand your point, the countryside is remote and peaceful but that doesn't have to mean you should have no electricity or internet. Does it?

• Advertisement

There not subcultures

Sorry, I meant these exist along with other subcultures.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Not really 100% I understand your point, the countryside is remote and peaceful but that doesn't have to mean you should have no electricity or internet. Does it?

It's not that, it's that she's slightly condescending to anyone that doesn't live her lifestyle and is a bit sneery at anyone that in any way relies on technology. Yet she's online a good bit and nobody relies more on tech than her when it comes to supplying her with essentials on the island she lives on.

Whish, over my head:rolleyes:

Don't sweat it sebdavies, Graces7 got it:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I've no idea why some posters feel it is ok to get personal and derail the thread with off topic discussion but here we are. John Rambo and Hoof Hearted2, please take a day off from posting in the thread.

Any questions feel free to PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

MHR also mentioned the cement industry in the video.

If we are to become carbon neutral by 2050 what are the proposals with the cement industry ? Are there any new wonder materials on the horizon, its it going to be done by offsetting or carbon capture ?

The EPA say that emissions in this sector will increase by 8 % by 2030.

Anyone know the proposed route to carbon neutrality for building/cement industry...

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    MHR also mentioned the cement industry in the video.

If we are to become carbon neutral by 2050 what are the proposals with the cement industry ? Are there any new wonder materials on the horizon, its it going to be done by offsetting or carbon capture ?

The EPA say that emissions in this sector will increase by 8 % by 2030.

Anyone know the proposed route to carbon neutrality for building/cement industry...

Google: https://www.irishcement.ie/sustainability/alternative-fuels/

When or what did MHR mention in this video, I would love to see it.

Google: https://www.irishcement.ie/sustainability/alternative-fuels/

When or what did MHR mention in this video, I would love to see it.

They talk of reduction in co2 by using waste as a fuel, or biomass, nothing about a plan for neutrality, they are addressing the fuel aide of the process which only accounts for 40% of the co2.

which must mean a completely different process for the other 60%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

MHR might want to use GGBS, made by Ecocem.

Water John wrote: »
    MHR might want to use GGBS, made by Ecocem.

That requires cement (30%).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That requires cement (30%).

Do you ever propose (scientific, evidence-based) solutions to climate change, or just knock those who are trying?

• Advertisement

Do you ever propose (scientific, evidence-based) solutions to climate change, or just knock those who are trying?

Yes - I take it you dont read my posts, the one where I mention the Dubai bulb. Proven, working method to save 50% of lighting cost and massively increase lifespan, already implemented in Dubai.

To make change you need to plan, just saying we are going to be carbon neutral does nothing.

I dont know how they are going to make cement production (if still used) carbon neutral, hence the question. No one has proposed a plan, so there is nothing to knock.

One other thing, making noise about your intentions , with no published plans of how you are going to achieve it, is a proven way to upset unions and trigger industrial action.

Seems just common sense that if you say you are going to do something you give people a notion of how you are going to achieve it.

One other thing, making noise about your intentions , with no published plans of how you are going to achieve it, is a proven way to upset unions and trigger industrial action.

Seems just common sense that if you say you are going to do something you give people a notion of how you are going to achieve it.

Like this, you mean?

* https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/22e97-government-approves-landmark-climate-bill-putting-ireland-on-the-path-to-net-zero-emissions-by-2050/

* https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/f6197-climate-conversations/

* https://assets.gov.ie/128070/c55193e6-6917-4c56-b01d-78d1b868ec3d.pdf

Plenty of notions there now for you to be reading up on.

Plenty of "notion" put forward by all parties and by people all over the World

It is easier for the Healy Rae to do nothing but put down everyone else. Then they can never get accused of been wrong. The phrase "hurlers from the ditch" is the best description of the Healy Raes.

Yes I have flicked through those before.

It it mainly timelines for making plans and establishing responsibilities.

I might have missed it but did not see anything about the cement industry other than use green fuels for the heating, but not seen anything about the released co2 in the process.

As I said earlier, there is low hanging fruit, immediate savings to be had, but they are ignored. FITs, solar incentives, small scale hydro, energy efficient devices etc etc. If climate change really was that high up on the list it would not be too difficult to implement measures that would have immediate effect. Its the lack of "meat" in the plan that worries me.

Yes I have flicked through those before.

It it mainly timelines for making plans and establishing responsibilities.

I might have missed it but did not see anything about the cement industry other than use green fuels for the heating, but not seen anything about the released co2 in the process.

As I said earlier, there is low hanging fruit, immediate savings to be had, but they are ignored. FITs, solar incentives, small scale hydro, energy efficient devices etc etc. If climate change really was that high up on the list it would not be too difficult to implement measures that would have immediate effect. Its the lack of "meat" in the plan that worries me.

Solar incentives are available for years, PV recently and thermal before that. Small scale hydro?
    Energy efficient devices have been going for year, old devices removed from sale. RoHs etc took care of a lot of that. Older bulbs no longer available. Bag removed from sale. New houses having to be build to high standard etc

All of this been done and loads more.

Plenty of "meat" in the plan, problem is selling the "meat" to people, especially when the people listen to a pair of idiots

As someone who has generated their own power for over a decade I am assure you that the implementation of renewables in Ireland has been very bad. I was earning ROCs in the UK many years ago and yet Ireland is only just implementing FITs.

At some point government will realise that Ireland has huge small scale hydro potential, but at the moment very little is happening. For a full year I monitored the small stream that flows near my property, more of a drainage ditch than anything else. Daily sampling has showed enough flow (5-10 lts) to produce over 500 watts, continuously, for 6 months of the year. This is more than enough for a small house. There are streams like this everywhere in Ireland, and on the larger scale too.

Insulation is the way to go and should be a priority for incentive.

Watch some videos on the Dubai light bulbs, light bulbs that are sold to the European public are not designed to last, and they dont. Engineered obsolescence will be made illegal at some point but right now its the basis for many industries including LED light bulbs. Its not so much the 50% energy saving, but more so the manufacturing footprint, the Dubai bulbs basically last a lifetime..

RoHS just resulted in bad solder joints everywhere. You wont find many electronic engineers using anything other than leaded solder.

I see little meat, but lots of top heavy red tape, waffle and bureaucracy in the plan as it exists today. If there was real hunger for co2 reduction great strides could have already been made.

Pretty sure it is.
    Engineered obsolescence will be made illegal at some point but right now its the basis for many industries including LED light bulbs.

Outlawing engineered obsolescence is a great aspiration. If only we knew some national legislators who could, I dunno, propose a private members bill? Or even just lobby the responsible minister to introduce a government bill?
    I see little meat, but lots of top heavy red tape, waffle and bureaucracy in the plan as it exists today. If there was real hunger for co2 reduction great strides could have already been made.

Some great strides have already been made, by individuals, some industries, energy providers switching to renewables, the public sector, etc.

And yes, there's plenty of waffle and bureaucracy in the emerging plans, and not enough front-loaded action points. But why not say that to your TDs, get them to seek less red tape and more front-loaded, strong action points?

As someone who has generated their own power for over a decade I am assure you that the implementation of renewables in Ireland has been very bad. I was earning ROCs in the UK many years ago and yet Ireland is only just implementing FITs.

At some point government will realise that Ireland has huge small scale hydro potential, but at the moment very little is happening. For a full year I monitored the small stream that flows near my property, more of a drainage ditch than anything else. Daily sampling has showed enough flow (5-10 lts) to produce over 500 watts, continuously, for 6 months of the year. This is more than enough for a small house. There are streams like this everywhere in Ireland, and on the larger scale too.

Watch some videos on the Dubai light bulbs, light bulbs that are sold to the European public are not designed to last, and they dont. Engineered obsolescence will be made illegal at some point but right now its the basis for many industries including LED light bulbs. Its not so much the 50% energy saving, but more so the manufacturing footprint, the Dubai bulbs basically last a lifetime..

RoHS just resulted in bad solder joints everywhere. You wont find many electronic engineers using anything other than leaded solder.

Ireland has had FiT since early 2010s...the program closed due to lack of uptake and they provided grants instead

No product can’t be sold that’s non RoHS certified. End of story.

Will leave you to it....maybe you should set up a power station on your stream, see how far 500w gets you when you turn on the toaster

• Advertisement

Ireland has had FiT since early 2010s...the program closed due to lack of uptake and they provided grants instead

No product can’t be sold that’s non RoHS certified. End of story.

Will leave you to it....maybe you should set up a power station on your stream, see how far 500w gets you when you turn on the toaster

This just shows a poor understanding of renewable systems.

The Irish national average electricity consumption is 4,200 kWh per annum = 11.5 kwh per day.

500 watts = 12 kwh per day.

Add batteries you can have all the toast you want.

Plenty of "notion" put forward by all parties and by people all over the World

It is easier for the Healy Rae to do nothing but put down everyone else. Then they can never get accused of been wrong. The phrase "hurlers from the ditch" is the best description of the Healy Raes.

What an expressive and apt phrase; new to me. Thank you.

For the rest. up to each to lower and adapt as we all and each can. Grass root level. Less theoretical ; more basic action by everyone. And more realism re the state we are truly in. Less …

Been an interesting discussion. Although not read the last pages since I went offline earlier. . . .Just it went too far off topic.

MHR will do what MHR always does as will likeminded folk. I made my position clear to MHR many years ago .

Over for me. Garden calls. Real life at grass root level literally ! The more I grow the less resources I need to draw on. Reality. Into ever deeper simplicity. That is truly cultured in the true sense of the word. Theory is just that. It is the living of it that matters.

Each is different. Spiced variety is good as long as there is no animosity . None here. All welcome. If you come and talk in peace. Else talk to the wall.... lol..."ignore" is a wonderful feature!

Follow your star. No problems with that here.
    Just do not ask that I follow YOUR star!

Stay safe out there.

Over and OUT!

This just shows a poor understanding of renewable systems.

The Irish national average electricity consumption is 4,200 kWh per annum = 11.5 kwh per day.

500 watts = 12 kwh per day.

Add batteries you can have all the toast you want.

I know all about renewable, thanks for asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

What an expressive and apt phrase; new to me. Thank you.

For the rest. up to each to lower and adapt as we all and each can. Grass root level. Less theoretical ; more basic action by everyone. And more realism re the state we are truly in. Less …

Been an interesting discussion. Although not read the last pages since I went offline earlier. . . .Just it went too far off topic.

MHR will do what MHR always does as will likeminded folk. I made my position clear to MHR many years ago .

Over for me. Garden calls. Real life at grass root level literally ! The more I grow the less resources I need to draw on. Reality. Into ever deeper simplicity. That is truly cultured in the true sense of the word. Theory is just that. It is the living of it that matters.

Each is different. Spiced variety is good as long as there is no animosity . None here. All welcome. If you come and talk in peace. Else talk to the wall.... lol..."ignore" is a wonderful feature!

Follow your star. No problems with that here.
    Just do not ask that I follow YOUR star!

Stay safe out there.

Over and OUT!

That’s just pure un recyclable plastic waste !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I see Kerry County Council lost in their court case against Mike today, what a total waste of taxpayers money bringing him to court on foot of some ridiculous claim by a person who remains anonymous.

Kerry County Council have to pay their own solicitors and barristers costs as well as 2/3rds of Mike's legal costs.

Crazy carry on.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/kerry-county-council-fails-in-bid-to-have-large-sign-removed-from-michael-healy-raes-property-40424588.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They lost because they left it so long. I wonder why and surely it should have been obvious to their legal counsel it would have failed because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

No better man than MHR to know the planning regulations. Sure he advising locals daily on building a house, upgrading septic tanks etc. he knows he way around local regulations etc

And he would run rings around Kerry Council .......

A Win for the little man... if it was you or me we would let council officials bam bozzle us with red tape and just give in! Well done Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You think the council would have far more pressing matters to be contending with.

Masala wrote: »
    A Win for the little man...

A win for the man with excellent PR, that you've swallowed hook, line, and sinker!

"Little man"?! He and his family are multi-millionaire owners of multiple businesses and rental properties - with lots of sycophantic forelock-tuggers in their fiefdom! "Little man"... JFC! :rolleyes:

You think the council would have far more pressing matters to be contending with.

Did you read the article? They received a complaint. They had to act. As admitted by MHR himself, in the article.

I get why he was in court and didn't just leave something that was obviously going to be struck out as statute-barred to his solicitor (namely, PR, and here we are talking about him), but why did he need Danny in court with him, too? It was a Dáil sitting day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did you read the article? They received a complaint. They had to act. As admitted by MHR himself, in the article.

I get why he was in court and didn't just leave something that was obviously going to be struck out as statute-barred to his solicitor (namely, PR, and here we are talking about him), but why did he need Danny in court with him, too? It was a Dáil sitting day...

sure they were getting paid to be up in dublin anyway. Probably shared a car and put in separate mileage expenses.

• Advertisement

sure they were getting paid to be up in dublin anyway. Probably shared a car and put in separate mileage expenses.

And it's only the taxes of "dem up in Dublin" that'd be used to pay any such expenses, no Kerry fiefdom money is involved! :D

A win for the man with excellent PR, that you've swallowed hook, line, and sinker!

"Little man"?! He and his family are multi-millionaire owners of multiple businesses and rental properties - with lots of sycophantic forelock-tuggers in their fiefdom! "Little man"... JFC! :rolleyes:

Are you absolutely 100% sure of this statement?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

None of that is news.

indeed it isn't which makes it even weirder why you would ask
    Are you absolutely 100% sure of this statement?

to this
    He and his family are multi-millionaire owners of multiple businesses and rental properties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Just goes to show Michael is a lot smarter than the minister for housing who lost 15k with his get rich quick scheme.

And people call the Healy-Rays thick, far from it, the are a lot smarter than some of the muppets going around Leinster house with a swagger and fancy accent to try and make themselves more intelligence looking.

Business/commercial acumen is a trait that most logical people want their political leaders to possess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

mgn wrote: »
    Just goes to show Michael is a lot smarter than the minister for housing who lost 15k with his get rich quick scheme.

And people call the Healy-Rays thick, far from it, the are a lot smarter than some of the muppets going around Leinster house with a swagger and fancy accent to try and make themselves more intelligence looking.

He didn’t look to clever defending John Delaney.

mgn wrote: »
    And people call the Healy-Rays thick...

Not many on this thread calling them 'thick', in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

Most tds are well off and landlords. At least the HR clan try and do something for their own folk instead of following a party line they don’t agree with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement