Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual "wise" sayings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,192 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A heavy purse makes a light heart.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“Don’t go acting the ham when you’re paying for pork.”

It’s another, possibly older, variant on the whole “penny wise, pound foolish”, be careful with your money, “thing”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nearly never bulled a cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

"There's a tool for every job". Meaning you can work clever instead of working hard if you use the most appropriate tools.

But my favourite variation is "you can't peel a spud with a hammer", as a warning against overreacting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A taste of the grass makes a rogue of the beast........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

iamstop wrote: »
    Just heard a lad in work tell someone "Better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it!"

Don't throw away useful things just because you've no use for it right now.

The other version of that is "better to be looking at it than looking for it"
    Also useful when talking about packing, or cutting something to length or whatever.

I'm fond of "Never pack a gob****e. You'll always find one when you get there"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

iamstop wrote: »
    Just heard a lad in work tell someone "Better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it!"

Don't throw away useful things just because you've no use for it right now.

Same point but slightly different wording:

Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

It would bring a tear to a glass eye!
    Sadness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

“Don’t go acting the ham when you’re paying for pork.”

It’s another, possibly older, variant on the whole “penny wise, pound foolish”, be careful with your money, “thing”.

Sorry where is this from? I’m almost sixty and I’ve never heard this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No matter where you go, there you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked

You have to listen to thunder - some things you can do nothing about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Nearly never bulled a cow.

Unless the bulls name was nearly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The fattest pig is slaughtered first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

God made the back for the burden...

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Sorry where is this from? I’m almost sixty and I’ve never heard this before.

A Dublin “saying”, W. Mightn’t be for you.

A friend of mine’s grandad worked in some “piggeries” in Smithfield, or around there.

First time I heard was when he gave my friend money to go to the shop, it came with a word of “advice”, as he saw it.

It was not heeded, of course.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

" People in glass houses sink s-s-ships"

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The blows won't get lighter, petal, but your shoulders will become stronger. (c) Joe Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

A wise man once said nothing.

Your only as strong as your weakest link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

The great stan laurel "you can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The most unusual one I ever heard was from an old geezer in America I used to know.

"He has a nigger in the woodpile."

Which, obviously raised my eyebrows, to say the least. It's a variation of skeleton in the closet or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I served some time in an office way back in the era of the rotary dial phone when there was one in the office and the office boss had it beside him. I used to hear it ring and watched him while he ignored it and continued with his work. He noticed me at this one day and said simply
    If it’s important they’ll ring back

It has stood the test of time for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Better to have had a @eircom.net address and lost than never to have emailed at all

A little part of me is dieting

Why all the questions? What’s this the Spanish Armada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

worded wrote: »
    I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure ...

Straight away, you got them by the nadgers.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    The most unusual one I ever heard was from an old geezer in America I used to know.

"He has a nigger in the woodpile."

Which, obviously raised my eyebrows, to say the least. It's a variation of skeleton in the closet or something like that.

It’s from when the black lads were fleeing the southern states to get away from slavery. The Underground Railroad and all that, where people helped the slaves to make their way north to states where slavery was banned.

It means “you’re hiding something”.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Chinese saying, key to a happy life "father dies, son dies, grandson dies"

unbearable grief if the order is broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Pointless living your life in anticipation of a future you who might never exist.

Not so much unusual as something I never heard before. Well I guess it's "don't over plan".

You cant calm the storm, so don't even try. What you can do is calm yourself-the storm will pass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Pointless living your life in anticipation of a future you who might never exist.

Not so much unusual as something I never heard before. Well I guess it's "don't over plan".

or

"it might never happen.."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

The magical socks can drive roundabouts into wheelie bins past a bunch of 7 o clocks onto a eyelids of a bouncing baby bee.

Old Roscommon saying to do with making silage on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Seek respect, not attention.

Respect has to be earned, not commanded.

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Ya cant bate feathers off a frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Don't believe everything you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

"Mutton dressed as lamb"
    "There's no fool like an old fool"

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Titclamp wrote: »
    The magical socks can drive roundabouts into wheelie bins past a bunch of 7 o clocks onto a eyelids of a bouncing baby bee.

Old Roscommon saying to do with making silage on a Sunday.

Can you decipher it please?

Sounds are wonderful, (yeatsian stolen child) , is there hidden r local meaning I am missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Daniel Dennett calls 'wise sayings', 'profound' sentiments that don't actually say anything 'Deepities'
    It's a specific kind of statement that can be read in two different ways: one way that's true but trivial, and another that's much more intriguing but false. The example Dennett quotes is, "Love is just a word." On the level of linguistics
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/25/change-your-life-life-deepities-oliver-burkeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Akrasia wrote: »
    "Love is just a word."

I prefer Robert Del Naja's take on it

"Love, love is a verb
    Love is a doing word":D

It's a great song, but that phrase is actually quite profound when you ponder it a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"If he was twice as right as he thinks he is he'd only be half wrong."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

two in the bush is nicer than three in the hand and better then 2 in the face.

Never run with a hammer while retro fitting a glass house

sticks and stones may break my bones and a piano on the head will leave you dead

never, ever, eat brown snow

Never look an old man in the mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

A fish only gets caught because he opens his mouth.

Johnny Tightlips Snr.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

Never cast a cloth till May is out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What I am saying is this - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. A wife in the bed is worth two outside of it. The wife is where the action is. The others are not.

-- Sonny Canavan, the Great Sage of Dirha Bog, on extra-marital how's-your-father. Brought down from Olympus and relayed to us mortals by the scribe Keane.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Never cast a cloth till May is out..

Does that mean “don’t throw things away” until May is out?

I always thought May Day celebrations were to celebrate the fact that it’s summer and the hard times are over. But it actuality signifies a very lean period ahead. The period between May and august was the part which requires the most hard work to tend and then harvest corps, but there isn’t actually much to eat in May. So you’re relying on the last of the reserves from the previous year.

Your saying might be a very clever way of saying all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,515 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I always thought May Day celebrations were to celebrate the fact that it’s summer and the hard times are over. But it actuality signifies a very lean period ahead. The period between May and august was the part which requires the most hard work to tend and then harvest corps, but there isn’t actually much to eat in May. So you’re relying on the last of the reserves from the previous year.

It means dont start going around in shorts and tshirts until May is over. It may look like a nice day but it can turn very quickly. clout in this instance meaning clothes.
    ETA jsut realised it was posted as cloth not clout. Any time i've heard the expression it sounds more like clout that cloth.

link to definition https://www.almanac.com/fact/an-old-english-saying-goes-never-cast

Precisely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The May is in reference to the May Tree or Hawthorn flowers are in bloom, not the Month.

• Advertisement

Thought it was about not dressing “lightly” until the hawthorn has flowered?

Advertisement