Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamite!! 2010 **Spoilers**

Options
  • 16-12-2010 6:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dream's end of year show finally starting to take shape:

Champ Marius Zaromskis vs. Kazushi Sakuraba (for welterweight title)
    Shinya Aoki vs. Yuichiro Nagashim+
    Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Josh Thomson
    Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Caol Uno
    Akiyo "Wicky" Nishiura vs. Tetsuya Yamato@
    Champ Bibiano Fernandes vs. Hiroyuki Takaya (for featherweight title)
    Jason High vs. Hayato Sakurai*

+ - MMA/K-1 mixed-rules bout
    @ - K-1 rules bout
    * - Not officially announced

source http://mmajunkie.com/event/698/dream-dynamite-2010.mma

Overeem and Manhoef the big names going through the rumourmill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Overeem said on twitter that he's still in Japan cause he's gonna be competing on this, more then likely for the Dream HW title.No word on opponent though

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

What a pointless title the Dream HW championship would be. I love Dream, but their HW division basically consists of Overeem, Monson, Sergei, Barnett and basically a bunch of cans. And even then Monson and Barnett only fought for them once, Sergei twice. Pure meaningless title at the moment, especially considering Dream might not be around much longer anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dream only seems to be interested in using heavyweights as leglock practice for Minnowa. Still it will be good to see Overeem in an mma fight again

Only if its against someone of a certain quality. No point in him fighting the likes of James Thompson again. There's rumours it will be Satoshi Ishii who, while a great prospect, is 3-1 and the fight would do neither any favours.

I'd say its pretty likely it will be Ishii, its more about ratings as far as Dream are concerned now, rather than the prospects of their fighters and as far as I am aware Ishii-Minnow got big ratings (and it was arranged just to get big ratings)?

• Advertisement

That's my one gripe with Dream, and Japanese MMA historically, is their willingness just to throw guys to the wolves regardless of the effects to their career and/or health (see ridiculous weight mismatches), all in the name of ratings. In a way, sometimes it seems they make matches in the mindset of sports entertainment rather than genuine sport.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    In a way, sometimes it seems they make matches in the mindset of sports entertainment rather than genuine sport.

Definitely, they seem to have something about putting high-level judoka's in crazy debuts, Ishii himself debuted against Yoshida in a ratings grabber last year, then back in Pride Pawel Nastula against Rodrigo Nogueira and Dong-Sik-Yoon against Sakuraba. And the fact that Sakuraba is now fighting for the welterweight championship pretty much says it all.

But I guess its nice to have somewhere crazy to turn to after watching 2 elite wrestlers jab each other in the face for 25 minutes (well technically only one was jabbing and the other was missing overhands):D

Sure they might aswell have Overeem challenge Minowaman for the Super Hulk title, carries more prestige than the HW anyway :-p

I honestly wouldn't be surprised :D

Word from Dave Meltzer is that Dream are working on Overeem Vs Lashley for the title, although he's very sceptical about their chances of pulling it off. Honestly wasn't expecting that. Did Chad Griggs turn it down? :p

• Advertisement

Hard to see them getting that together at such short notice, would probably take a lot of money that they don't seem to have. At least they could afford Griggs :D Would be a good 'superfight' though

Its been confirmed that Mousasi will be taking on Kyotaro, the reigning K-1 Heavyweight Champion, under K-1 rules. I'm not sure what I make of Mousasi' chances in this one, strange fight for him to take.

Kharitonov Vs Mizuno has been confirmed. Mizuno looked better than expected during the LHW GP, but if Sergei has still holds any ambitions of fulfilling his potential to be a top HW he really needs to put in a big performance here.

Jerome Le Banner is now rumoured to be taking on Ishii instead of Mizuno.

Did Kharitonov fight at the recent K-1 event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did Kharitonov fight at the recent K-1 event?

Yes, Spoiler tagging result
    TKO loss to Singh Jaideep at the GP last weekend.

Minowa is set to fight another another Olympic judoka, Hiroshi Izumi, can't say I'm too excited by this.

Yeah Kharitonov really needs a big win to get back on the mma radar

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Are they trying to get Sakuraba killed by pitting him with Zaromskis? I know the guy has vulnerable spots in his defence but if some of those high kicks do connect, I will really fear for Sakuraba's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

They said on inside mma last night that overeem wants to fight Semmy Schilt in an mma fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Looking forward to this. Love the production on Dream shows and there's always some good fights from the lighter guys.

Couple of new fights official, from mmajunkie.com:
    • Satoshi Ishii vs. Jerome Le Banner
    • Sergei Kharitonov vs. Tatsuya Mizuno
    • Alistair Overeem vs. TBA
    • Bob Sapp vs. Shinichi Suzukawa
    An appearance by Overeem has been guaranteed by Dream (whatever thats worth)

• Advertisement

Todd Duffee's Facebook (official) says he will be fighting Overeem at Dream. Apparently he is in the mix, but nothing confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Todd Duffee's Facebook (official) says he will be fighting Overeem at Dream. Apparently he is in the mix, but nothing confirmed.

Wow, now THAT'S a fight right there! I really hope this happens. I really don't wanna see a repeat of the James Thompson fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Heard the Duffee v Overeem rumour myself. While looks wise it looks like a good matchup (2 monster heavyweights) Overeem would kill Duffee considereing what Russow did to him with the hammerfist of death lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

*UPDATE: Todd Duffee pulled out of the proposed Dream Dynamite 2010 New Year’s Eve bout with Alistair Overeem this morning after receiving the contract and feeling the money was not right. He will now face a TUF 10 alum at Titan Fighting Championships on January 29th while Overeem will remain on the Dream NYE card with an opponent yet to be named.

Source

Shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

not sure what sane and professional sportsmen would take a fight with overeem at 2 weeks notice for less than 100k

Ariel Helwani has just posted on article on mmafighting.com saying "sources" have confirmed the fight is now going ahead.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/23/sources-alistair-overeem-vs-todd-duffee-set-for-dynamite-201/

Who knows though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Ah Jaysus what a mismatch, Duffee will only last as long as the Reem wants him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Isn't this supposed to be Uno's last fight? :(

Really? I never heard that. Shame if it is. Is this fight at 155 or 45? It'd be a good move for Caol if its at 45, surely he could easily make the cut. If he has a really good showing here, I reckon it won't be the last we see of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Really? I never heard that. Shame if it is. Is this fight at 155 or 45? It'd be a good move for Caol if its at 45, surely he could easily make the cut. If he has a really good showing here, I reckon it won't be the last we see of him.

Nearly sure it's at 45.

Advertisement