Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leylandii Hedge dying

Options
  • 12-10-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I hope someone can help me, my leylandii hedge is starting to die back this year at home. just wondering if there is anything I can do to stop it? what is it or any information?

It started about 2 months ago and has spread quite a bit, my neighbours hedge has started showing signs in one part of his hedge but that's nearly the furthest leylandii tree away from mine.

I've checked it over for any aphids and can't seem to find anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

A few more pictures for a better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

It looks like whoever is trimming the hedge is trimming it too tight, i.e. past the live foliage. It's a fine line between doing it right and inadvertently killing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I agree, only the outer few inches are really alive with fresh growth, beyond that is old wood with no live greenery.

The goal is to trim at the exact same level all the time, going tighter is never an option with this type of hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Tight trimming shouldn't be an issue though, we have always cut it back this tight and never had an issue until this year.

My neighbours hedge is no way near as tight and it is also dying back in areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

$kilkenny wrote: »
    Tight trimming shouldn't be an issue though, we have always cut it back this tight and never had an issue until this year.

My neighbours hedge is no way near as tight and it is also dying back in areas.

Interesting, afaik there are no bacterial or fungal diseases that affect leylandii, so that leaves only a maintenance/pruning issue, or perhaps it could be wind burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Interesting, afaik there are no bacterial or fungal diseases that affect leylandii, so that leaves only a maintenance/pruning issue, or perhaps it could be wind burn.

My first thought too was trimmed far too tight. I would also bet that it was trimmed too early in the year and hit with a late frost or trimmed too late in the previous year and hit by an early frost. A very common mistake.

Such a lovely hedge though and a sad loss.

Leyland are hardy beasts, with only something like honey fungus or over pruning killing them.

Advertisement