Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immigration question..concerning my mother.

• 01-12-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I am a naturalized Irish Citizen. I was born and grew up in the United States. Recently my mother's husband passed away. Her mother is currently suffering from sever dementia and is not expected to live much longer. When her mother Passes away, my mother is going to want to move to Ireland to be near me as I will be the only family she has left. She is retired from a University in the US so he has teacher retirement, so she will have her own income, and medical insurance which she has been told, can be used in Ireland.

So can my mother come to live in Ireland? And if so, what do I need to do when the time comes? While she does have her own income, she may want to work just part time for even just a couple of days a week, just to give her something to do. Can she claim citizenship because I have citizenship? I went to citizens information they were not much help. It will not be this year and hopefully not next year but soon my mother will be wanting to move over and I am just wondering what process we need go through will be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

She would have to apply for a Stamp 0.
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/registration-independent
    Can she claim citizenship because I have citizenship?
    Nope. She would have to have 5 years residency like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ohoopee wrote: »
    she will have her own ... medical insurance which she has been told, can be used in Ireland.
    If this is included as part of her pension, fair enough, but Irish health insurance may be cheaper, more efficient and more relevant.
    she may want to work just part time for even just a couple of days a week, just to give her something to do.
    Volunteering might not be a problem. Paid work would likely need a work visa.

She might be entitled to some benefits like a free travel pass, which seems to be based on residence, not PRSI contributions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Has your mother an Irish grandparent in her lineage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This page will also help on a Stamp 0;
    https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/living-in-ireland/

The general threshold for "independent means" is €50k per annum, though if she were to come and live with you, that may be lowered since she will have no accommodation costs.

One very important thing to note - if she comes over on a Stamp 0, then any time spent here does not count as residency for the purposes of naturalisation. That is, she cannot apply for permanent residency after 8 years if she has been living here on a Stamp 0.

If the plan long-term is that she will apply for permanent residency, maybe even citizenship, then she needs a Stamp 1 (permission to work) or Stamp 3 (permission to remain but NOT work).

Strictly speaking someone still needs an appropriate visa to do volunteer work, but for the most part that's a burden on a the sponsor - proving that the person applying for the visa will be volunteering for them long-term. Simply volunteering for work while in Ireland won't cause visa problems.

If she is anywhere near an Irish embassy, or fancies going on a holiday to one, then I'd say it would be worth talking to them to find out what's right for her. A Stamp 1 is ideal, it gives the most freedom, but may not be available unless she has an exceptionally generous pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭cml387

Did I hear something about the Irish government proposing to make it easier for US citizens to retire here, in exchange for more visas for Irish wishing to move to the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cml387 wrote: »
    Did I hear something about the Irish government proposing to make it easier for US citizens to retire here, in exchange for more visas for Irish wishing to move to the US?

there was definitely something in the news about that last week but i cant find the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

cml387 wrote: »

would like to know more about this myself, sub'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its the suggested quid pro quo for extending the E3 visa to Ireland, which is currently under debate

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ohoopee

seamus wrote: »
    This page will also help on a Stamp 0;
    https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/living-in-ireland/

The general threshold for "independent means" is €50k per annum, though if she were to come and live with you, that may be lowered since she will have no accommodation costs.

One very important thing to note - if she comes over on a Stamp 0, then any time spent here does not count as residency for the purposes of naturalisation. That is, she cannot apply for permanent residency after 8 years if she has been living here on a Stamp 0.

If the plan long-term is that she will apply for permanent residency, maybe even citizenship, then she needs a Stamp 1 (permission to work) or Stamp 3 (permission to remain but NOT work).

Strictly speaking someone still needs an appropriate visa to do volunteer work, but for the most part that's a burden on a the sponsor - proving that the person applying for the visa will be volunteering for them long-term. Simply volunteering for work while in Ireland won't cause visa problems.

If she is anywhere near an Irish embassy, or fancies going on a holiday to one, then I'd say it would be worth talking to them to find out what's right for her. A Stamp 1 is ideal, it gives the most freedom, but may not be available unless she has an exceptionally generous pension.

WEll she was a teacher so her pention is not 50,000 per year, especually once it is converted from Dollars to Euros. So I guess the only option is for her to move in with me? When the time comes, what do I need to do to apply for a Stamp 3 for her?

Advertisement