Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for passport abroad- complications.

• 28-11-2018 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

My situation is little complicated.

I was born outside Ireland, to Irish parents.

I grew up in Ireland and have had an Irish passport for many years.

I currently live abroad, in a country that doesn't yet have an Irish embassy.

I am applying for a new passport but I want to make a slight change to the name (I want to include my middle name, as not having it causes complications in a country where it must be included on all documents).

I am worried that there will be complications in ordering it. Finding out what exactly to do is rather tricky. Understandly, no website has taken all of my considerations into account. Does anybody if I need to include birth certs or any other such documents?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

My understanding is if you are changing your name on your passport renweal, you need to include documentation with it. So you would have to include a copy of your birth cert to verify your middle name.

This is from the passport website

+ Adult renewal application where the applicant is renewing a passport in a different name:

For all renewal applications where you are requesting a new name on your new passport, you will need to submit your current/most recent passport.

Depending on the type of name change, further supporting documents may be required (see below)

Change of name following marriage/civil partnership:

You will need to submit:

Your original civil marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
    Reverting to birth certificate name after divorce/separation:

You will need to submit:

Your original birth certificate
    Your original civil marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
    Divorce/separation papers (certified by solicitors/courts)
    If you cannot provide marriage/divorce/separation documents, you will need to supply 2 documents demonstrating proof of usage of the new name, e.g. any 2 of the following (photo ID document, pay slips, utility bills, government correspondence). These documents must date back at least two years from the date you make your application.

Other name changes:

Original birth certificate
    2 documents demonstrating proof of usage of the new name, e.g. any 2 of the following (photo ID document, pay slips, utility bills, government correspondence). These documents must date back at least two years from the date you make your application.
    For online only: Cover page (available for printing at the end of the online application process)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Also, try contacting them on twitter, they will be able to give you any and all information you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Thanks. Of course, my birth cert isn't Irish. Do they demand apostilled copies or any of that sort of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thanks. Of course, my birth cert isn't Irish. Do they demand apostilled copies or any of that sort of thing?

It doesn't appear you need your birth cert. Just proof that you have been using the name for 2 years

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/documents-for-passport-in-new-name/

You need to submit:
    • Your previous passport
    • Two documents that show you are using your new name, such as your driver's licence, college identification card, school report, social welfare receipts, pay slip, utility bills, bank statements or official correspondence from a public or private sector organisation.
    These examples must date back at least two years from the date you submit your application form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,505 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the.OP's second name is on their birth certificate, would that be sufficient proof? It is not a name change in the normal sense.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    If the.OP's second name is on their birth certificate, would that be sufficient proof? It is not a name change in the normal sense.

But it is a change of the name on their passport so they will probably treat it as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I am applying for a new passport but I want to make a slight change to the name (I want to include my middle name, as not having it causes complications in a country where it must be included on all documents).
    Am I correct that you aren't changing your name, that you are merely showing your full name?

There should be a field for "also known as".

I am just including my middle name, which wasn't on my previous passport. I didn't include it because I never use it but it has caused complications because here people have to use it on all documents.

I am just including my middle name, which wasn't on my previous passport. I didn't include it because I never use it but it has caused complications because here people have to use it on all documents.

you are changing the Forenames line on your passport. How is that not a name change?

you are changing the Forenames line on your passport. How is that not a name change?

Well, it's still the name on my birth cert. The advice on the passport service website certainly doesn't mention this as an example of a name change. They haven't even considered it apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Theres a section on Mrs Carawaysticks passport that has her maiden name, i.e. the name on her birth cert, which is diferent to her name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’ve had this and there was never a problem. Original passport had confirmation name as well as names on birth cert. passport lost just before renewal and got replacement with just my first name - seems that’s what I wrote on the form. Replacement was only valid for a year so after 6 months I went back for further renewal (consulate in London so face to face). At that stage put down all three names again but was told could either put down name as per birth cert or renew with just first name but would need proof for 3rd name.

Based on that I would expect the OP would have no issues renewing with both names as per birth cert but cert would have to be provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Have you tried the online passport renewal service? it should solve your queries with a lot less guesswork
    https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

I have. Their answers have been quite useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have had passport changed to "known as" named. So instead of, for example, it saying something like "Edward Cape", it now says "Ed Cape", with a line saying "BIRTH CERT NAME: Edward Cape" on another page.

Is this what you want to do?

No, it's not.

I want to change the name to include my middle name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No, it's not.

I want to change the name to include my middle name.
    Ah, gotcha.

Would you use said middle name on any official documents? I ask this as you say
    I want to include my middle name, as not having it causes complications in a country where it must be included on all documents
    Thus, you could say that this is the name that you are known as? And thus that you need the passport in your "new" name. And by "new" I mean as opposed to what's on your current passport.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/documents-for-passport-in-new-name/

Advertisement