Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journey Planning App - does one exist?

Options
  • 03-10-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I use Google Maps daily - it gets me from A to B painlessly, by car, bike or walking. Great!

But, what I'd like to be able to do is this.....

Say I want to travel from my current (Dublin) location and visit five towns and villages in Wicklow and return to my base in Dublin.

Is there an app where I can input multiple locations and find the shortest route/circuit to visit all of them?

I don't think I can do this with Google Maps. Is there another app?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could sort of do this with Google Maps. Google maps allows you to plan a journey at a particular time:

So plan journey from A to B at say 9am. Then Plan to stay at B for 2 hours, so plan next leg as:
    Plan journey from B to C, leaving B at 11am, do the same for the next leg.

It won't do all this in one step, you will have to sort of work out each leg individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

RayCun wrote: »

That's exactly what I'd like to be able to do.

Since Google Maps can get me from home to anywhere in the shortest possible time (it even takes current traffic into account) I would have thought that something would allow me to get to multiple locations the shortest way - accepting that, since I want to stop at each location, time is not the issue, only distance.

But, I guess if Google aren't doing it, who can?

Great Wiki link, by the way! ;)

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On Google maps there's a button to "add destination", so you can set up a multi-stop route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah it's very easy to do on google maps. Just click 'add destination' and order them the way you want to get to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah it's very easy to do on google maps. Just click 'add destination' and order them the way you want to get to them.

the poster wants google to order the destinations

Yes, but that's not what I want.

Say I want to visit Blessington, Laragh, Ashford, Bray, Greystones, Wicklow Town.

I'd like to know the shortest route between all six of them.

Adding a location doesn't achieve this. You simply end up with blue direction lines criss-crossing the map, rather than the single shortest route bringing me back to where I started, which is what I want - and which is what is discussed in the Wiki link above.

Thanks.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Something kinda like this perhaps?

https://www.speedyroute.com/

Something kinda like this perhaps?

https://www.speedyroute.com/

Absolutely brilliant!

Thanks!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dinarius wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant!

Thanks!

D.

Just be aware that sat nav doesn't know what quality of road it's sending you down it just knows the speed limit. A while ago I used Google to get home from Mayo to Dublin, the GPS took me down some of the worse roads and none that anyone would use if they didn't have GPS. So while that might plot a route it could have you on bad roads to link between towns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Going to Kerry on Thursday.

Just tried to plan a route taking in, for example, Abbeydorney.

Unfortunately, Speedy Route doesn’t recognise this town or a couple of others. So, I can’t use it.

Odd that.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Buy the Ordnance Survey Road Atlas of Ireland. Yes, it is a printed yoke but it will show exactly what class of road you will wish to drive on. You won’t end up some boreen if you read it properly, and a clever ten year old could master it very quickly.

Buy the Ordnance Survey Road Atlas of Ireland. Yes, it is a printed yoke but it will show exactly what class of road you will wish to drive on. You won’t end up some boreen if you read it properly, and a clever ten year old could master it very quickly.

Not very practical to use while driving through. So you need to look at notes to know which junction to turn at while ignoring the device which tells you what junction to turn at and which can also inform you about issues ahead depending on the service you use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can also get Ordinance Survey maps for smart phones these days.

Best to plan your journey before hand. Plan it with Google Maps, you can even follow the route via Google Streetview to see what the roads look like. Much better then trying to figure it out from a map.

Then if you are happy with the route, you can fire it to your phone and follow the turn by turn directions without having to be distracted looking at a paper map.

bk wrote: »
    You can also get Ordinance Survey maps for smart phones these days.

Best to plan your journey before hand. Plan it with Google Maps, you can even follow the route via Google Streetview to see what the roads look like. Much better then trying to figure it out from a map.

Then if you are happy with the route, you can fire it to your phone and follow the turn by turn directions without having to be distracted looking at a paper map.

Unless you are driving a large vehicle or a low slung car there are very few roads you can't drive a B licenced vehicle on in this country. I'll admit that sometimes GPS can lead to interesting roads but you'll always get a standard car though unless there are other issues.

Thanks for the replies.

As per my original request, I am looking for a way of working out the shortest route between a selection of towns that I must stop at. I'm only driving a small van. Road quality is not an issue.

SpeedyRoute worked perfectly for a recent trip to 10 locations in Kildare and Laois. It recognized all of them.

For some weird reason, it's not recognizing some locations in Cork and Kerry. Hence my new problem.

Google Maps is fantastic, but not what I need now.

Thanks.

D.

On a related matter...

Where can I find online county maps that I can print?

I have the Ordnance Survey Road Atlas of Ireland, which is great, but I can't view a single county on a page - too detailed.

Would like to have the option of an overall view of a county.

Thanks.

D.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unless you are driving a large vehicle or a low slung car there are very few roads you can't drive a B licenced vehicle on in this country. I'll admit that sometimes GPS can lead to interesting roads but you'll always get a standard car though unless there are other issues.

I do a lot of hiking around Ireland and often end up the back of nowhere. Blindly following GPS has certainly lead us down some very interesting boreens.

I mean you are correct, we did make it out, but not without the car a being a lot more scratched up and suspension and clutch a bit worse for wear.

Afterwards we realised that there was a slightly longer, but MUCH faster and easier route we could of taken with a bit of better forward planning. So lesson learned.

Advertisement