Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IDS Ireland scam?

• 15-11-2019 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Let's say I own a website called shannonprinting.com (I made this URL up for example purposes).

I've gotten an email from a Sean Smith in IDS Ireland saying that someone is trying to register shannonprinting.eu

He says in order to prevent them stealing my name, I should immediately spend €199 with IDS Ireland reserving the .eu domain for myself for 10 years.

Now, IDS ireland do seem like a legitimate company - they have an actual land address in Dublin. But this price they're charging is well over three times what Blacknight (or similar) would charge to register a .eu domain for ten years.

I don't believe for a second that someone is trying to register an alternate .eu version of my stupid domain, and even if they do I don't care.

But I am a bit peeved that a seemingly legitimate Irish company is behaving like this. Is it legal? If it's not an outright scam it's certainly quite dishonest, and if it is dishonest, I wonder what can be done about it.

One thing you could do is register idsireland.eu which ironically is still available!

Edit: I also had a quick search on twitter and it seems i am not the only person to get one, some fella from a design company up the country referenced it as well:

https://mailchi.mp/e2ef6947cc7c/ignore-email-from-ids-ireland

Comments

Its not a scam, just a bit unscrupulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭capailldubh

Got the same today from "Sean Smith"
    I have a .com and .ie registered and he says someone is trying to register my name but .eu
    They do not look to have even a phone number or proper address.
    I would call scam.

http://www.idsireland.org/contact/

Idsireland.eu seems to be available...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Poor old Sean must be struggling to meet his sales targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

He's a busy man alright. I got one this morning. I replied by saying I might register idsireland.eu and that he should watch his own back instead worrying about mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Rideass

This is a scam. Got the same myself yesterday, saying our company domain name was being registered *.eu.

"Sean" is offering to buy this for you for a small 199 EUR for 10 years, which basically means he can pocket 100 EUR.
    A domain name, the .eu one goes for like 5-10 EUR/per year.
    He is basically an expensive broker, as he does probably does offer this service, albeit totally unnecessary.

Stay away, or buy the .eu domain from one of the big players instead, you should only pay like 10 EUR/year.

That said, I am sure he has a few fish on the hook. Scammers like this wouldn't be doing it without some benefit.
    Will be blocking idsireland.org domain on our mail exchange, so should everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111718679

This is preying on fear and ignorance using a lot of bullsh1t false claims.

Obligation to inform you = rubbish.
    48 hour time limit = rubbish.
    Far reaching consequences = largely rubbish.
    €199 for 10 years = rip-off.

Bull manure of the highest order. Scam but probably not illegal (hyperbole in advertising).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well really stupid scam but imagine few always fall for it, most would be smart enough to know they can register with any provider for euro or two if they need it. Did anyone look at source IP where email originates from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement