Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniblock for sheep

Options
  • 18-01-2021 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Is uniblock lick bucket for sheep mineral block for ewes before they lamb or after they lamb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Tomjim wrote: »
    Is uniblock lick bucket for sheep mineral block for ewes before they lamb or after they lamb

You'll need a high magnesium bucket after they lamb, do uniblock do one of those.
    It should be written on the bucket what they're recommended for

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buttons04

Tomjim,

It will benefit them both before and after.
    It is all dependent on the ewes current condition, what there feed is like, and if they got mineral dosing recently.
    Not very familiar with uniblock but usually they do have variation for Hi mag, ewe & lamb, pre lambing..
    We used to use the Lifeline buckets but the sheep used to eat them for the molasses .. Using Welmin buckets at the moment.. bit more expensive but last a lot longer

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I use the nutribio buckets.. yellow slightly higher in protein and other good stuff than the red. I have small numbers so not an issue but I find the really horse into them and dont last long..do think it keeps them I good nick though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Buttons04 wrote: »
    Tomjim,

It will benefit them both before and after.
    It is all dependent on the ewes current condition, what there feed is like, and if they got mineral dosing recently.
    Not very familiar with uniblock but usually they do have variation for Hi mag, ewe & lamb, pre lambing..
    We used to use the Lifeline buckets but the sheep used to eat them for the molasses .. Using Welmin buckets at the moment.. bit more expensive but last a lot longer

When I was lambing I found the same with the uniblock. I stopped using them cause they ate too fast and cost. I never stopped the hi mag after lambing as they were necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The eating too fast vs lasting a long time cuts both ways

Buckets lasting a long time means your sheep aren't eating them so they're getting no benefit from them.

Each bucket would have a daily recommended allowance ranging from 20g per ewe per day to 200. So do the calcs based on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

ganmo wrote: »
    The eating too fast vs lasting a long time cuts both ways

Buckets lasting a long time means your sheep aren't eating them so they're getting no benefit from them.

Each bucket would have a daily recommended allowance ranging from 20g per ewe per day to 200. So do the calcs based on that

I would imagine if Sheep are flying through buckets then their lacking in something that a simple drench would resolve

Advertisement