Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this manipulation or am I wrong?

• 14-01-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I have been single a long time due to divorce and raising a child who is now an adult. As per many on boards I have been trying to find a partner and using online routes to same. A few dates, some lovely people, one situation I thought was going somewhere but didn't - the usual stuff that goes on. October 2020 met a man via a dating app, we met for a date asap, it went more than well and we have been seeing each other regularly since then. Neither of us are seeing anyone else - the amount of time we have been spending together would preclude that. He lives 2.5 hours away and drives down for 3 to 5 days at a time, sometimes going home for only 2 days and back again. Both of our jobs facilitate that. He mainly comes here because I happen to live in an area of high amenity which suits our outdoors lifestyle, but I know he is not living with anyone on the QT or has a secret family etc.

There is physical and intellectual attraction, shared interests, the time together goes too fast, never awkwardness, he is actively willing to "plan" - activities, trips when possible again etc. It has been one of the happiest periods of my life. I would say I am "in love" but love itself is something different of course, however I felt we were moving towards that and I felt he felt the same. At Christmas and since, he stated he hoped it was the first Christmas of many etc.

I am qualified in 2 areas of healthcare. One = decent money, plenty of jobs, and my current job is fulfilling and gives me a lot of free time as I do 3x13 hour shifts. Two = modestly better money, rarely any jobs, Mon-Fri, 9-5ish.

Recently had a job offer in area two. Not even sure myself do I want it, but when I brought it up over the past weekend he basically said, coolly and straightforwardly that it would be over for us if I took it. He wants to be with somebody who can spend the kind of time with him that I can currently, and refuted the idea that people who believe they have something going, work around things etc.

He then started to talk about how he needed to be with someone attractive to him, with shared activities, financially independent (he is actually wealthy but got burned in a divorce and one assumes does not want that again), has time to spend with him and a couple of other things which I can't even remember as I was becoming shocked. It felt like I was not chosen by him when we met due to genuine mutual attraction, but due to me fitting a set of criteria which he has "fixed" for himself. When I said that the amount of women in his preferred age group who would have 3 to 5 days a week to spend with him, be financially independent, not have possibly small kids, was tiny, he refuted that and said it was no problem.

I am still kind of in shock. I am quite independent. I want a partner to share my life with, but I cannot have a gun held to my head in this way. I do not even know if I want the new job (it is on hold due to Covid so buying me time anyway). I love having the free time I have. For example I am off today and going swimming, walking, doing all the stuff I love. Tomorrow on for 3 days but then I will have 5 off and he will be back again. But I cannot help feeling that it would be wrong to make a decision based on him and now I just don't feel the same about him. But, I have genuinely been happier with him than with any man due to our shared interests and the fun we have.

Background to him is - own business which has been built to a stage where it requires minimal input, thus the free time. Adult children except for one 13 year old. The custody arrangement is Wednesdays and Friday evening to Saturday evening, thus a "weekend" relationship does not work for him and why he wants somebody with my kind of free time. I do see him for entire weekends sometimes, if that child is away or engaged in something. But generally we would see each other from Saturday night to Wednesday.

I am so disappointed as I really thought this was it. Of course I never broached long term plans as it is only about 14-15 weeks and way too soon, but it seemed to have such potential.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Definitely a big red flag. I'd be wary of moving forward with this one if he's also unable to compromise on something at this early stage of the relationship.

Regardless of whether you want the job or not (and it sounds like you don't really), his immediate reaction of "my way or the highway" is not a very positive one.

I could understand it if you were suggesting suddenly moving a huge distance away - switching to night shifts - taking on huge amounts of overtime - etc. They would present fairly subtantial impediments to continuing your relationship in any kind of reasonable way and he would probably be well within his right to question the effect it would have.

But all you've done is discuss an offer to move to a 9-5 role, which as you've already stated, is the most regular and common hours that the majority of the population work. It still leaves you every evening and weekend free and certainly isn't out of the ordinary.

I think you're correct in that he actively is looking for someone who fits his scheduling criteria, rather than just liking you for being you. This stubborn and immediate reaction certainly confirms that, and it's also worrying that he can feels he can so calmly just drop you like that without any kind of sense of loss on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Hi OP, to answer your question - is it manipulation? I would say no. He has laid his cards on the table and been clear about what he wants/needs.

Is this the end of your relationship? I would imagine so. Clearly he is not very invested in you as a person if he is willing to let this end should you take a role with more standard office hours and lessen your availability to him.

If this was 5 years into a relationship a discussion might be worth having, but you definitely don’t want a relationship with somebody who after 3 months or so gives you an ultimatum based on your career choice.

I know it’s hard to hear - but it’s only been a few months and really impossible to determine whether somebody is your forever person, you don’t know them well enough. It’s very easy to get invested too soon, especially if the other person is showing signs of being committed. But you have to be realistic when you are still getting to know somebody. It’s a blessing in disguise this happened now, imagine after another year had you been considering a job offer and he came out with this clanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

He probably likes you alright, but you're correct, it sounds like a sunny days only relationship to him, where you are a convenient companion rather than a real partner.

Any serious change in circumstances on either side (someone becomes ill, anything to do with the children, financial trouble) that would affect the comfort of your time together and the arrangement could dissolve in a matter of days.

Great for passing time, but not for serious commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

OP I certainly wouldn't be making any career decisions based on a 3 month relationship. It sounds like a good career move for you, so try to think what decision you'd make if you were single and go with that.

It sounds like this guy is looking for someone that seamlessly slots into his schedule. If he's not willing to even attempt to work around your new work schedule, then good riddance. As somebody said, you're talking about switching to a 9-5 job... it's not exactly an unusual or unworkable situation!

Even if you decide to stick with your current job, I'd be seriously rethinking the relationship based on his attitude. If he's being this inflexible now, imagine how he'll be in the future when bigger issues will naturally crop up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

To me it is almost like he's testing the water. If he "wins" this one I'd worry about what he would do next. It's coercive control. Would be bad in a long term relationship but absolutely unacceptable in something so new.

I'm also perplexed as to how you've been carrying on this relationship in periods of level 5 lockdown. 2.5 hour journeys for non essential purposes? No home visits allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't believe it is manipulation, but I do believe that he's being inflexible and is not invested in the relationship in the same way as you are. It's crap to find this out when you've gone this far down the road, but also lucky that you've found out now before it got any more serious.

Cut him loose and start looking again. There are decent people out there, you just need to be lucky and look under the right rock.

Caranica wrote: »
    To me it is almost like he's testing the water. If he "wins" this one I'd worry about what he would do next. It's coercive control. Would be bad in a long term relationship but absolutely unacceptable in something so new.

I'm also perplexed as to how you've been carrying on this relationship in periods of level 5 lockdown. 2.5 hour journeys for non essential purposes? No home visits allowed?

It could be support bubbles - allowable for those who live alone. Not sure why this judgement is necessary given it’s not OPs query here.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

It is support bubbles, I have one child, 23, lives abroad. I live alone. One sibling with pre-existing condition, sees only their spouse currently. Parents passed away. Am in full PPE at work. According to a Government notification in the paper, people in my situation are allowed a support bubble and one of those people can be from anywhere on the Island of Ireland.

Thanks all for the replies so far. Often with these types of posts you are not really looking for an "answer" as such, just to get a feeling of what others might think about the given situation.

I guess I know what I need to do. I'm definitely not a crier, but the tears are in my eyes as I type this. I can hear my the crack in my heart. He was so lovely, and it's so hard to meet someone at this age to be honest. No judgment, but a lot of men of 51 are happy to be with 37 year olds and start another family. We were the same age, he wanted that. We are both really fit and look younger, he was big and gorgeous, fun and chatty and always with a joke or banter. We climbed every mountain from Djouce to Lugnaquilla and came down and cooked, he was teaching me chess, and both had loads of energy. There was never a dull moment, and it seemed everything was going in the right direction.

But even when I queried as to in theory whether a Friday night to Monday morning thing would work if he could change the custody arrangement (he seemingly cannot..... and it is an acrimonious break) he said no.

I am very amicably divorced and have a good and appropriate relationship with my child's dad, never any custody issues, it was joint custody and worked super well for us. So, hard for me to understand the difficulties and issues other people go through.

I will heal, but can feel the sinking of my heart too when I realise if I want a relationship I've got to get out there - again - when I am ready. Don't know do I have the strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Maybe give it another while. If you are really enjoying time together why not? If more evidence of him being stubborn and bossy becomes evident then you can always decide later.
    Its not like you are in a hurry to have a child or in need of someone to settle down with. Maybe if you keep in mind that the ground is not as firm as you might like you could rub along for a while and enjoy his company, I suppose what I am saying is accepting no strings attached.
    But you will know what you can cope with best. And you might meet someone else...

• Advertisement

Hi OP, I missed the part of your second post where you discussed his child and custody arrangements.

I can understand if you were at the very start of chatting/seeing each other only a few weeks why he would end things over this. Children come first and up-ending their lives to suit a new relationship tends not to be on the cards for most. I wouldn’t get into a new relationship if the times when I could see the other person (looking beyond covid) were minimal as I would need more.

However I do feel it’s a real shame on his part given the 3 months or so he has invested in the relationship so far that he would be so dismissive straight up, and not even want to discuss how things might work.

I know it’s really tough to find relationships as you get older but it sounds like this man isn’t willing to try and compromise which is not a good sign of things to come, and a sign of incompatibility with you it’s better to have discovered now.

Allow yourself grieve this if it does end and know that there will be other opportunities, it all takes time and patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

To be honest it's not manipulation.

I'd go only so far as say he's being awkward.

However in saying that I just read your update. You wanted him to change around his custody agreement to suit the days you'd suggested, if you took the new job.

So in fact it does seem between distance, work and custody it is actually awkward to meet up and maybe he is being realistic and doesn't fancy either of ye doing 6 hour round trips for a day, night etc

Being able to drive 3 hours is grand when you know your there for a few days.

He might be right tbh.

To be honest it's not manipulation.

I'd go only so far as say he's being awkward.

However in saying that I just read your update. You wanted him to change around his custody agreement to suit the days you'd suggested, if you took the new job.

So in fact it does seem between distance, work and custody it is actually awkward to meet up and maybe he is being realistic and doesn't fancy either of ye doing 6 hour round trips for a day, night etc

Being able to drive 3 hours is grand when you know your there for a few days.

He might be right tbh.

No I did not actually ask him to change the custody arrangements nor had I even gone as far as thinking that was the way to go. That is all his personal stuff to arrange as he sees fit, and I agreed early on that the 13 year old takes priority. It was just that he said even full weekends are not what he wants, he wants stretches of at least 4 days at a go and if I take the job that won't happen, so he's off.

seasidedub wrote: »
    No I did not actually ask him to change the custody arrangements nor had I even gone as far as thinking that was the way to go. That is all his personal stuff to arrange as he sees fit, and I agreed early on that the 13 year old takes priority. It was just that he said even full weekends are not what he wants, he wants stretches of at least 4 days at a go and if I take the job that won't happen, so he's off.

But what's a full weekend? He drives 3 hours of Friday or Saturday and home Sunday night? Pain in the arse tbh

While he's pigeon holing himself, it's his choice. You'll just have to tell him fair enough and best of luck

I can see his perspective too - personally I wouldn’t get involved with somebody who lived so far away from me for that same reason. It worked for him at the time because of your current work arrangement and perhaps he assumed you were always going to have your current set up and that’s why the long distance was acceptable.

He might see no future possible with you if you take the role, no matter how much he likes you and enjoys your company - it’s only been a few months and I guess he was playing it by ear.

I have a friend who has been seeing somebody who lives 3 hours away for a few months and they both have kids and only see each other two weekends a month and that is super hard for him and possibly unsustainable in the long run.

Doesn’t make it any easier of course - but it sounds like you both have different needs/expectations and better it ends now before you get in any deeper emotionally. I don’t think anyone is to blame really. He is probably hurting as much as you but just being honest/realistic about his own needs.

Yeah, totally get what you are saying here. At this stage, 15 weeks in, we are both playing it by ear, it's fair to say. I also admit it's the happiest I've been with any man, particularly due to the huge shared interests we have and how we are always doing something and busy. I completely see that I had the role I had when he met me and it suited what he was looking for and if that changes, at 15 weeks in, he's not invested enough to put in a lot of driving or have me drive for just 2 days. It just bothered me that it seemed so easy for him to say it, he was very cool about it and said more or less straight out that it's no problem to find another one who will fit the criteria he's fixed for himself. It did not tally with the very loving behaviour he has been demonstrating. It was the callousness that shook me.

That’s really hard OP - when you think one thing about a person and they turn out differently - you question your own judgement and that’s never a good path to go down.

Could you maybe be imagining some of the callousness however?
    You said ‘ When I said that the amount of women in his preferred age group who would have 3 to 5 days a week to spend with him, be financially independent, not have possibly small kids, was tiny, he refuted that and said it was no problem.’
    This sounds like he only discussed finding somebody else when you tried to point out to him he would find it hard to find someone else which is a fair defense.

Perhaps you both said things you didn’t mean in the heat of the moment. I would hope that he would be kind in his approach, as well as practical. Try and end things on a good footing and without bitterness - it will help your recovery/moving on.

To be honest the "you'll have trouble finding someone like me" could be just as easily spun to be manipulation too. Even tho I know you don't mean that way. It's just it's easy to take things wrong when we hear something we don't like

The subject of somebody else came up when, without prompting from me, he started talking about how he needed to be with somebody attractive to him, financially independent, with shared interests and plenty of time. I was a bit taken aback and said that the pool of 45 to 50 year old women in that category would be small, which he denied. This did indeed make me feel that he had met me and chosen to continue not due to just genuine mutual attraction but because he had sounded me out in conversation and gauged that I fitted his criteria.

I don't deny anyone's right to have criteria in terms of what they are looking for, but he just seemed particularly fixed on it, whereas I'd sort of feel that, yeah, I might want say a tall guy, but if one came along with whom I just clicked, his height would be a non issue.

I also get that if someone has had a bad experience of say a long distance relationship or a relationship where someone was very dependent upon them for money, they may make a conscious decision to not go down that road again and be very fixed in terms of what they want.

Still, it all took me aback.

I agree that it sounds unfeeling, and exposes a way of thinking that is not really about a long term relationship, warts and all, but rather about lifestyle augmentation.

Would he be the kind of person who is used to good things in life, having certain quality standards, opportunities coming his way etc?

• Advertisement

I don't deny anyone's right to have criteria in terms of what they are looking for, but he just seemed particularly fixed on it, whereas I'd sort of feel that, yeah, I might want say a tall guy, but if one came along with whom I just clicked, his height would be a non issue.

To be fair something physical like height is a side criteria generally - the amount of time you can spend with somebody is usually a deal breaker. I don’t think you can compare the two and I don’t think you can assume he was only with you because of your availability. He liked you too, but sometimes a deal breaker is a deal breaker. It’s sad for you both but nobody’s fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Augme

I can definitely see his side. I'd be the same. Why bother "dating" someone who you barely actually see? Especially when they seen happy enough to see less of you.

As for you saying that this means he doesn't really like you and he is only with you because you fit certain criteria, a bit of irony in that for me.

At the end of the days you've basically turned around and said to him "so I'm thinking about taking a job I've no real interest in and one I'm not that pushed about and it means we are going to be able to see each other far less. Hope you don't mind." I'm genuinely curious as to how did you expect him to react? And what kind of signal did you expect that to send to him?

If I was giving him advice I'd have told him he needs to have a bit more self respect for himself and he has to walk away rather than even give you the ultimatum. It seems to me you made it fairly clear how low down the priority list he is when you've prioritized a job you aren't even that arsed about over him.

strandroad wrote: »
    I agree that it sounds unfeeling, and exposes a way of thinking that is not really about a long term relationship, warts and all, but rather about lifestyle augmentation.

Would he be the kind of person who is used to good things in life, having certain quality standards, opportunities coming his way etc?

Yes, he is absolutely used to the good things in life. And has been lucky as well as hardworking in terms of opportunities.

Augme wrote: »
    I can definitely see his side. I'd be the same. Why bother "dating" someone who you barely actually see? Especially when they seen happy enough to see less of you.

As for you saying that this means he doesn't really like you and he is only with you because you fit certain criteria, a bit of irony in that for me.

At the end of the days you've basically turned around and said to him "so I'm thinking about taking a job I've no real interest in and one I'm not that pushed about and it means we are going to be able to see each other far less. Hope you don't mind." I'm genuinely curious as to how did you expect him to react? And what kind of signal did you expect that to send to him?

If I was giving him advice I'd have told him he needs to have a bit more self respect for himself and he has to walk away rather than even give you the ultimatum. It seems to me you made it fairly clear how low down the priority list he is when you've prioritized a job you aren't even that arsed about over him.

Thanks for this, because it is really helpful to see another side of it too.

My response would be, in the initial time when a couple are still dating before any moving in etc., would most people not see each other mainly at weekends? Possibly I am wrong, but as most of the country operates on a Mon to Fri schedule weekends are big meet up times. So, I felt if we became a weekend couple at least until we decided whether we were taking a "next step" that was normal or more or less normal.

I would not be happy about seeing him less, I love seeing him, but it is an opportunity for me and I just did not like the feeling of a gun to my head in terms of taking it or not. I am "arsed" about the job, but unsure, 2 different things. I do like the time off which I have too.

He honestly is a priority to me, my child is grown up and I really can prioritise a partner, but it still felt like a gun to my head. I would do a huge amount for this fledgling relationship - drive, put whatever time I could into it, but I hated the feeling that there was to be no discussion, none.

My response would be, in the initial time when a couple are still dating before any moving in etc., would most people not see each other mainly at weekends? Possibly I am wrong, but as most of the country operates on a Mon to Fri schedule weekends are big meet up times. So, I felt if we became a weekend couple at least until we decided whether we were taking a "next step" that was normal or more or less normal.

I would not be happy about seeing him less, I love seeing him, but it is an opportunity for me and I just did not like the feeling of a gun to my head in terms of taking it or not. I am "arsed" about the job, but unsure, 2 different things. I do like the time off which I have too.

He honestly is a priority to me, my child is grown up and I really can prioritise a partner, but it still felt like a gun to my head. I would do a huge amount for this fledgling relationship - drive, put whatever time I could into it, but I hated the feeling that there was to be no discussion, none.

Unless I misread it, he has his kid on a weekend so that rules out a weekend relationship. You both basically have Sunday to spend one day a week together in your new job?

Now most couples do start out like, but the reality is when you start seeing X amount of each other and 3 months in one side turns around and basically says they have made the decision to change their circumstances, for no really good reason, to see far less of the other then my attitude to that for the person on the receiving end is "take the hint, they ain't that interested in you."

My guess is that when you told him that he reacted in anger and felt hurt and insulted. As I said, I wouldn't blame him. You claim to really likhim, and I don't see why you'd lie, but I also think your actions towards him are completely contradictory towards that. Looking at your actions you seem a bit "meh" about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How can you become a weekend couple. He has his kid on Friday night to Saturday evening. You two are a three hour drive apart. It makes no sense whatsoever. You say he is a priority to you but I can't see anything that shows it.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How can you become a weekend couple. He has his kid on Friday night to Saturday evening. You two are a three hour drive apart. It makes no sense whatsoever. You say he is a priority to you but I can't see anything that shows it.

I meant if his circumstances changed - there was a lot of "hypotheticals", as I was trying to figure out if there might be anyway to work around it if I did take the job. Look, I like this guy so much that if he told me he was taking a job in NYC for 6 months and would I wait and fly over when I could, then my answer is yes, I will give it a go. No guarantees, but I will give it a go. When I presented different scenarios to him, it was all a blank "no". That threw me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I meant if his circumstances changed - there was a lot of "hypotheticals", as I was trying to figure out if there might be anyway to work around it if I did take the job. Look, I like this guy so much that if he told me he was taking a job in NYC for 6 months and would I wait and fly over when I could, then my answer is yes, I will give it a go. No guarantees, but I will give it a go. When I presented different scenarios to him, it was all a blank "no". That threw me.

But his circumstances can't change with a 13 year old. I don't really get what throwing grand gestures about New York around is about, all that proves is that you're comfortable with a long distance relationship. Did you present the scenario to him of not taking the job and instead applying for a similar job closer to him? Not saying you should of course as it's very early in the relationship but it would be interesting to throw all the cards on the table when you like him so much.

Asking a guy you've been seen 3 months to alter his long term set in stone parenting schedule because you want to change jobs to a role you're a bit on the fence about and when he says no, you accuse him of manipulation? Again, can't help but see a bit of irony here too.

I don't mean to be offensive, but are you traditionally this stubborn? I'm stubborn myself at times.

Given how much you say you like him, and I believe that. I am wondering if subconsciously you "created" this scenario as a "test" to see how much he likes you? I.e. if he was willing to give in to your demands he would have "passed" and everything would be great, but since the hasn't you see it that he has "failed" and now are assuming he doesnt actually like you that much. Can't help but feel you'd have never taken the job even if he did give in as well.

Maybe you are letting your stubbornness rule your head, and heart, over this.

• Advertisement

Wait I just read he has his child from Friday to Saturday evening.

So if you took the job he's going from driving 3 hours there to spend 3 to 5 days with you and 3 hours home to

Driving 3 hours there to arrive say 9pm Saturday and would have to drive 3 hours home Sunday night/early Monday?

Ah here I'm only 31 and I wouldn't have that! Even if I liked a person I'd seriously begin to resent going to them after a while of that and not only that I fully agree with the above poster, I'd definitely be thinking you don't have a semblance of interest to be cutting time together down to that!

He's dead right to want to end it, better off single than being drained from all that going for a night with someone! It's backwards your relationship would be going

I mean going off what you've said, the only actual option here is he changes his custody arrangements to suit you and that's most likely not going to happen. Are you hoping he'll just "have to" eventually cause it seems like it?

If I'm being honest, it's you that being completely unrealistic to the hard reality of the situation that would unfold and I can see his position 100%

Given how much you say you like him, and I believe that. I am wondering if subconsciously you "created" this scenario as a "test" to see how much he likes you? I.e. if he was willing to give in to your demands he would have "passed" and everything would be great, but since the hasn't you see it that he has "failed" and now are assuming he doesnt actually like you that much. Can't help but feel you'd have never taken the job even if he did give in as well.

Hi OP, came here to say something similar to the above. You seem like a very genuine person so I have to wonder if there isn't something unconscious driving your behaviour here. What you have suggested to him isn't really workable, and it's understandable he reacted badly to it (and yes, he did react badly).

I would also say you have you remember he has spent years probably in fraught negotiations with his ex. He's bringing baggage to any ultimatum you (inadvertently) give. It sounds like he got immediately defensive and things escalated from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm leaning more towards the camp of "It's not manipulative but this is probably over." Actually OP, I think the most manipulative thing I've read in you describing your discussions was you saying he probably wouldn't find someone who fit his criteria. And, even then, I wouldn't judge you that badly as it was probably a heightened emotional situation you weren't expecting and there can be way worse things said in that state.

Tbh he just sounds like he knows what he wants and is stating his needs. That's a really healthy thing to do. As bad as I felt for you, I have to admit that I also read it and thought "Jeez fair play to him". The lack of emotion and specificity of the criteria struck me as a bit weird at first until you explained his custody situation: someone you met a few months ago wouldn't even begin to move the needle if it comes at a cost of seeing your kids less, again as **** as that is for you. I also kinda admired his answer and certainty that he could find someone else. It was a bit too honest and blunt, maybe, but you also had challenged him so he probably got a bit defensive.

Take the job if it's the right career move for you, don't let this play a factor at all because you've now seen where you stand within his priorities. You're not deciding the relationship is over, you're just making a career move. If he decides to end it from there then so be it. Maybe it'll end and you'll both realise it's not sitting right and work it out. If you don't then in time the intensity you feel will subside and I guarantee you that you'll see it how we do that it was perhaps for the best. This wasn't your 'last chance' or anything of the sorts so don't let that creep into your head and affect you. You've found this once, if you need to walk away with your head held high because you made a smart career move, you can easily find it again.

Having said all of that, if you take the job and he suddenly starts throwing strops or being verbally abusive or anything like that...then your suspicions were dead on, he's a highly manipulative person playing a long game and you'll have dodged a bullet. Either way, taking the job is 100% the move here.

Thanks for all the replies - all are valuable, even things I sort of don't want to hear.

First, looking at the last 5 or so posts - I want to make it completely clear: I have never at any time wanted, asked or suggested he change custody arrangements. What I did say was something like: "so even if you had the child every second weekend for the full weekend instead of one day every weekend, you still would not proceed with me if I took the job"? And his answer was no. But I did not suggest he change or try to change any arrangement.

I asked him very specifically about the distance when we started, if it was an issue, and he said "if it was Cork (5 hrs from him) it would be no problem". I took him at his word. He talked about 50/50 in terms of driving, but he seems to prefer to come here, and to be honest I do live in a nicer part of the country with better weather. So all the driving has been his choice, I am willing to go up any time.

I changed my work schedule in so far as I could to facilitate the way his week is broken up by the custody arrangements. Generally, I worked Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, 13 hrs each day, and then had long weekends of Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun. Of course I loved that - who would not? Initially, he did not seem to have the child every Wednesday and was also down here a couple of full weekends. But when the arrangement became clearer to me, I have done what I can. I now tend to work mainly Wed, Thur, Fri, and one weekend a month. So, normally we can see each other Sat night from about 7.30pm to him leaving at the same time as me on Wed morning. There have been times he has been here for up to 6 days as the child has had engagements etc and I have had long stretches off. But, I have changed to facilitate him.

There was no actual argument or escalation - it genuinely was a discussion. I did not say to him that he would not find anyone like me. He said that he would move on, find another, and another if that did not work etc. I simply said that the pool of women fitting his exact criteria is small, he says no, ok, fine, perhaps he knows better. But most women I know of my age have to work, and most have to work Mon to Fri.......

If we were deeper in, and we agreed to move in together, yes, I would apply for jobs similar to my current up near him, or he could move here as his business can be run from anywhere and he could drive up twice a week for the child, but I would move, absolutely. However, we are nowhere near that phase.

The job I have been offered is not ever going to be available in his area. There are no qualifications for this job in Ireland, those trained in it have qualified in UK, US or Australia and most Irish graduates of it work in the UK, many for years, hoping for a chance to get back to Ireland when the very rare opportunity comes up. So applying for a similar job near him is a non-starter.

I enjoy the free time I have off, so don't know for certain do I actually want the job, I really mean that, but again, was taken aback when he said so coolly that it was him or the job. I did not/do not want to make the decision based on that.

Yes his divorce sounds as if it was horrendous, but there are always 2 sides to everything. I do personally feel that the custody arrangements reflect a desire from one side to curtail a social life in the other side - if you have a child every weekend for one day it is going to be difficult to have a relationship and yes, ideally you do need someone with a schedule which is different to the norm. I have done what I can regarding that. I guess I was hoping for a little more supportive discussion instead of a blanket "no". Indeed, there may well be no way to resolve it if I did take the job, but I simply was taken aback at how he reacted. I also am a little afraid at what else he might say a blanket no to, is he inflexible about everything, or just this? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

One of the joys of dating a man with children, is that he is most likely going to have them at the weekends.
    You have your parenting done, and deserve to be with someone who you can go away or for a night out at the weekend with. He is not that man, and you will probably end up resenting him.
    You are better off looking for a man without or with grown up children.
    I split with my last boyfriend over exactly the same issue.

Oh, can I just say one more thing - I love children and it has always been a source of sadness for me that I only had one. If things ever would or could progress between us, and it was appropriate and acceptable to all, I would be absolutely delighted to have his child down here for weekends etc. if that could be agreed on. I would love it. I live in what is practically a beach resort with kayaking, surfing, swimming, all kinds of ice cream places, sporting facilities etc. and we are both really active and I don't think there would be a problem entertaining the child (I don't want to say the sex to protect the identity). I've a 4 bed house, plenty of room and I myself would love it.

• Advertisement

Oh, can I just say one more thing - I love children

Did you tell him that?
    You said in an earlier post that you asked him if he could stop taking his child at the weekends, and spend it with you.
    Plus you said that couples should spend weekends together.
    Would you really want to spend every weekend with his kid?

Oh, can I just say one more thing - I love children and it has always been a source of sadness for me that I only had one. If things ever would or could progress between us, and it was appropriate and acceptable to all, I would be absolutely delighted to have his child down here for weekends etc. if that could be agreed on. I would love it. I live in what is practically a beach resort with kayaking, surfing, swimming, all kinds of ice cream places, sporting facilities etc. and we are both really active and I don't think there would be a problem entertaining the child (I don't want to say the sex to protect the identity). I've a 4 bed house, plenty of room and I myself would love it.

We are both 51, most guys of this age have at least one youngish one as they started in their late 30s or early 40s. I was 28. It's going to be hard to fulfill that criterion - kinda like him wanting an attractive, financially independent woman with x amount of time!! Honestly it would be easier if he did not have split weekends, I often have 7 days off in a row and we could spend that together or go away if he did not have the every Saturday thing. But, it is what it is and I really was willing to work with that, cos I feel you should support when you can.

Meeoow wrote: »
    Did you tell him that?
    You said in an earlier post that you asked him if he could stop taking his child at the weekends, and spend it with you.
    Plus you said that couples should spend weekends together.
    Would you really want to spend every weekend with his kid?

Sorry, but I think you are misreading, or I wrote wrongly, I did NOT ask him to stop taking the child at weekends. I asked would he feel the same about my job offer even if he had the child every second weekend, he said yes.

I also am not sure where I said couples should spend every weekend together, what I said was most couples who work normal hours, end up having mainly weekend time together.

Yes, I told him that I love kids, but we both agree that there is a time when it is appropriate to introduce new people to kids and now is too soon. Would I have the child every weekend? I would have the child a lot, but yes, it would be nice to have some adult only time.

I did have a partner a long time ago who had 2 kids and they spent most of the time with us. To this day I consider them my step children, they visit me and one even moved to Ireland to her Irish boyfriend and I'm her "mammy" here (he and they were from abroad).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The guy has shown you that he is not willing to compromise for the sake of your relationship- whether it is too difficult etc

I think what you should do is put yourself first and decide whether you want the job for yourself and do not let the relationship be a factor as this guy could be gone at anytime.

If you do take the job and he leaves so be it. He is going to suit himself- so should you.

If it was me I would also dump him.

Can you drive to him sometimes? Maybe he is fed up doing all the driving.
    I used to work away, and do a 3 hour drive at the weekends. It is very tiring.

• Advertisement

What I did say was something like: "so even if you had the child every second weekend for the full weekend instead of one day every weekend, you still would not proceed with me if I took the job"? And his answer was no. But I did not suggest he change or try to change any arrangement

But it's still all maybes. What's he's looking at is you cutting down significantly your time together and him doing a load of traveling for the foreseeable for the possibility of travelling 3 hours there Saturday morning and 3 hours back the next day or Monday morning and to top it off for only for 4 days or 2 weekends a month if it's every second weekend. As you said ye are nearly having 4 days with each other weekly currently

A big benefit to the distance is several days together after arriving, where you can unwind, take it easy. If you arrive of a Friday night/Saturday morning and have to be heading off again Sunday night and only getting 2 weekends a month it severely knocks the good of it and that scenario is living on the hope he could change his custody arrangement in future

As it stands hes looking at driving to you late Saturday night and home again the next day, at best Monday morning

I really think your failing to grasp the difference to him here. It's a massive change to the setup ye have.

Would you be willing to offer to finish work Friday and drive to him right after and head home then Sunday/Monday early for a few months? I think you'd realise then that it would knock the good of it if as you say he's been doing all teh travelling so far and is now facing this

Thanks for all the replies - all are valuable, even things I sort of don't want to hear.

First, looking at the last 5 or so posts - I want to make it completely clear: I have never at any time wanted, asked or suggested he change custody arrangements. What I did say was something like: "so even if you had the child every second weekend for the full weekend instead of one day every weekend, you still would not proceed with me if I took the job"? And his answer was no. But I did not suggest he change or try to change any arrangement.

You are being a bit economical with the truth there though tbh. You might never have told him, but by taking the job you would be putting him in the situation where he would either have to see you one day a week or he would need to change his arrangements.

You are being a bit economical with the truth there though tbh. You might never have told him, but by taking the job you would be putting him in the situation where he would either have to see you one day a week or he would need to change his arrangements.

To be honest I'm starting to wonder if the OP knows this and had just assumed he'd play to her tune when it came to it and is more miffed hes made it clear that won't be happening

Meeoow wrote: »
    Can you drive to him sometimes? Maybe he is fed up doing all the driving.
    I used to work away, and do a 3 hour drive at the weekends. It is very tiring.

As said, I asked about the distance - he was the one who said no problem. I offered to drive 50% of the time, he has been driving down here 90%, he chooses this due to the amenities here (mountains, sea etc.)

To be honest I'm starting to wonder if the OP knows this and had just assumed he'd play to her tune when it came to it and is more miffed hes made it clear that won't be happening

Yes, if I took the job it would change things, I did not assume he would "play to my tune", but I was not expecting such a blanket "no", I was expecting a discussion. It feels like a gun to my head "me or the job". And it is hard to make that decision as it is early days.

Yes, if I took the job it would change things, I did not assume he would "play to my tune", but I was not expecting such a blanket "no", I was expecting a discussion. It feels like a gun to my head "me or the job". And it is hard to make that decision as it is early days.

I think that precisely because it is such early days that it makes it easier to make the decision. At the end of the day he has been honest about what he wants, whether you think it’s fair or not. He isn’t going to compromise what he wants for you, so unless you want to sacrifice the job and possibly more for him I think it’s clear that parting ways is the only option.

But it's still all maybes. What's he's looking at is you cutting down significantly your time together and him doing a load of traveling for the foreseeable for the possibility of travelling 3 hours there Saturday morning and 3 hours back the next day or Monday morning and to top it off for only for 4 days or 2 weekends a month if it's every second weekend. As you said ye are nearly having 4 days with each other weekly currently

A big benefit to the distance is several days together after arriving, where you can unwind, take it easy. If you arrive of a Friday night/Saturday morning and have to be heading off again Sunday night and only getting 2 weekends a month it severely knocks the good of it and that scenario is living on the hope he could change his custody arrangement in future

As it stands hes looking at driving to you late Saturday night and home again the next day, at best Monday morning

I really think your failing to grasp the difference to him here. It's a massive change to the setup ye have.

Would you be willing to offer to finish work Friday and drive to him right after and head home then Sunday/Monday early for a few months? I think you'd realise then that it would knock the good of it if as you say he's been doing all teh travelling so far and is now facing this

Absolutely it would change things. But, as I wrote, I changed my working schedule (which I was able to do) to suit his custody arrangements and give us on average at least 4 nights and 3 full days together, sometimes more. Sure, this is lovely, I believe he enjoys the time as much as I do because of our outdoor stuff, he's not coming down to just drink and watch netflix. But, life can change at any time, and it seems I am only a potential partner for him if the current scenario never changes. This is my issue and fear. And again, he is currently doing most of the driving out of his own choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The concern I'd have is that if you decided to stick with him and turn down the job that you'd become resentful of him hampering your ability to choose what you wanted and your career path.

I completely agree, I can see how it would be a valid concern not to have as much time anymore, but instead of hearing "I don't know, I'm concerned" from him you not only heard "no", you also heard "you'll be easy to replace".

It's a mismatch plain and simple, but perhaps it's for the better that it happened early.

On the other side tho he could say a gun is to his head in it's either do all this travelling for 1 night with me or nothing unless you change your custody agreement

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement