Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone to date a tree from a stump

Options
  • 11-12-2020 9:02am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

I need a qualified opinion on the approximate age of a tree from a cut stump. I guess this can be done by counting rings or whatever but I am looking for someone who can provide a letter along the lines of "In my professional opinion..." etc etc.

Who do I call? A forester, arborist, tree surgeon? Any ideas who is best for the job?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Take a good photo of it and post it here.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

A search for dendrochronology might get you some matches?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

blue5000 wrote: »
    Take a good photo of it and post it here.

Will do.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

BigAl81 wrote: »
    A search for dendrochronology might get you some matches?

Thank you, helpful to know the terminology.

However a search throws up some pretty odd results!!

Screenshot-2020-12-11-at-08-54-16.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

I am looking to get some Bog Oak dated and sent Queens an email in October and never received a reply. Is there any alternative commercial service similar available elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I am looking to get some Bog Oak dated and sent Queens an email in October and never received a reply. Is there any alternative commercial service similar available elsewhere?

Do you want to know how old the tree was going when it died or how Long it was lying in the bog? If it’s the latter you want it carbon dated

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Yes carbon dated is what I am after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Try a dating agency... there's someone for everyone...
    Sorry...getting coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Carbon dating doesnt tell you how old something is, it tells you how long ago it died. When something dies the carbon14 in its cells starts to degrade at a fixed rate, 50% will degrade after some 5000 years (or there abouts, cant remember). From assessing how much carbon14 is left in it they can figure out how long it is dead.

Plants form relationships with fungi in the soil, and both benefit. The fungi gets sugars and the plant gets access to nutrients, water and even sugars produced by other plants the fungi is connected to. If your stump is near mature trees I wouldn't be surprised if it was still alive, so carbon dating wouldn't work.

Counting the rings is the easiest indication you'll get

• Advertisement
Advertisement