Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change

Options
  • 10-12-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hopefully this is in the right forum,

Basically i work in finance at the moment but hate it. I'm a qualified Accounting Technician (Level 6) with 4 years PQE. But want to change career and have always had an interest in Software development.

The main problem is I can't quit work and because of where I live it would need to be an online course. Can anyone recommend a good course that would take 1 or 2 years? I have no problem doing the course and then after needed to do more courses depending on the type of work I'm doing.

But ideally I'll like to get a qualification as quick as possible and get a job as a Software developer/engineer.

Thanks

Comments

You could also consider studying online without getting a qualification. A progressive company will care more about your skills and ability to work with a theme than they will about a qualificatio which may be hopelessly out of date. Pick a niche that appeals to you and strart building projects. This will also serve to teach you if you actually have a vocation for coding.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you want a qualification springboard might be a good option when it rolls around again. Plenty of 1 or 2 year online software dev courses on it.

https://springboardcourses.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you want a qualification springboard might be a good option when it rolls around again. Plenty of 1 or 2 year online software dev courses on it.

This.
    I was going to reply with the very same.

Op do a springboard (you can do them online)
    Usually start in September and January.

Want some more advice? Watch some YouTube videos. I really recommend brad traversy (traversy media is the name of the channel) he has other people doing "guest videos" so to speak now but does the odd one himself but has tons of his previous ones. easy to listen to and understand. If you've never learned anything of software development you will get bogged down by the terminology at the start - functions, variables, booleans, arrays :p

Learning a bit will also give you a heads up at the start of a springboard Couse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

kellier180 wrote: »
    Hopefully this is in the right forum,

Basically i work in finance at the moment but hate it. I'm a qualified Accounting Technician (Level 6) with 4 years PQE. But want to change career and have always had an interest in Software development.

The main problem is I can't quit work and because of where I live it would need to be an online course. Can anyone recommend a good course that would take 1 or 2 years? I have no problem doing the course and then after needed to do more courses depending on the type of work I'm doing.

But ideally I'll like to get a qualification as quick as possible and get a job as a Software developer/engineer.

Thanks

I am an Irish Chartered Accountant (Fellow), ex big four etc... I resigned shortly after qualifying and switched to Software Engineering about 30 years ago. I did an MSc in Computing with the Open University.

I spend most of my time working on various asset management, performance and attribution as well as trading tools for mainland European Banks as a consultant rather than an employee.

I can't say who easy it is to make the switch, because I also held a Series 7 License and was involved in the management of funds for private individuals and a few charitable institutions, so I had the contacts to land the consulting gigs.

I retired in my mid 50s and now just get involved in stuff that interests me - mainly mentoring a couple of fintechs.

My advice would be get a well recognised qualification, build up a portfolio of work and start knocking on doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kellier180

Thanks for the replies,

Yeah I've looked into the Springboard courses looks like I missed the boat for a good few of them that started in September but I've found a couple started in January so hopefully I get accepted to one and I can start. I also signed up to a couple of of courses on Udemy the first one being software engineering with Python. Only did about an hour last night but seems very good. Not sure how good it would stand me going forward but I suppose if it just teaches the basics I can go from there.

One thing I've noticed from working in accounts is if I have to build a spreadsheet with Macro's, VBA's etc I could spend hours doing it without noticing which I suppose is a good thing hopefully :).

Is there any websites that would give you a sample project to code and even one where people are looking for a certain thing and I could try code them? Or is there a better way people get practice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

kellier180 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

Is there any websites that would give you a sample project to code and even one where people are looking for a certain thing and I could try code them? Or is there a better way people get practice?

Just a heads up that it might be worth posting what it is you don't like about your current career either in case working in IT isn't as you imagine

To give you an idea of something you could do, for the month that's in it there's a thing called advent of code:
    https://adventofcode.com/

There's a series of challenges with "real world" problems to solve.
    There's two versions of each challenge, a simpler version and a more complex

You could answer the first version by a simple program and then the more complex version is usually to extend that solution

It's kind of like something you'd encounter where you ship version 1 of a product and then have to make changes for version 2 which might contradict what you thought the customer wanted in version1

Anyway sorry for the ramble, best of luck with it, it won't be a bother to you, just take your time with it

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kellier180

Just a heads up that it might be worth posting what it is you don't like about your current career either in case working in IT isn't as you imagine

It's hard to explain what I don't like it about to be honest. I just have no interest in it if that makes sense. The main reason for doing it was I liked maths in school, like things to be in order and planning so I've always had budgets and stuff that I made on the computer for myself but the main reason was the money.

But since I qualified 4 years ago my plan was to do the ACCA exams but I've just never wanted to do them.

Coding and software development was something I've always had in the back of mind but never done anything about.

I think the big thing is there's nothing in accounts that I find interesting really but the thought of coding a program that people could use every day I find amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Consider if you'll even like the job aside from the coding bit.

Depending on the company, it could be very stressful. Dealing with clients, dealing with unclear requirements, having a constant deadline every two or three weeks in Sprints. Constant calls and meetings on top of your actual deliverable. Working late hours. Access not an automatic given so you'll run into error messages, have to call the helpdesk to get access rights and so on.

Outsourcing a constant threat on the horizon, e.g a lot of banking systems is outsourced to India. They aren't going away and will becoming more and more of a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Talisman

Have a look at Coursera, they offer a subscription service Coursera Plus which will give you access to courses from reputable universities and companies like Google. There are sample projects which you could develop to build a portfolio in a short period of time. Not everything on the website is covered by the Plus subscription, for example none of the IBM courses are but there is plenty there to get your teeth into. Completing the courses or specializations will give you certificates which you can add to your Linkedin profile and show would be employers that you are actually commited to learning skills needed.

Free Code Camp, is pretty good as well if you just want to learn on line. Depending on where you live, they often have local meet ups that can be very useful if you need help, but of course it depends on a local organiser and up take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Mickeroo wrote: »

Isn't sprongboard suppose to be for unemployed or returning to work people?

zom wrote: »
    Isn't sprongboard suppose to be for unemployed or returning to work people?
    It's free for the unemployed and they are prioritised when allocating places, but anyone can do a Springboard course if they have the means to pay the €500-600 'contribution' fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

I would love to know how OP got on with this. I am starting out on a similar path but I would imagine I am a lot older. I need/want a complete career change and the years are against me but this is my last shot at it. I am going to start with some of the ideas posted here to see if programming is for me but I am pretty sure it is. If it goes well I would hope to start a course of some sort in January to try to get a recognised qualification. My biggest worry is starting to look for jobs, interviews down the road. A friend of mine has branched off into data analytics and can't get a job or interview of any description. We are both nearly 50😔 I will take any advice or help, if anyone else has followed a similar path I would love to hear of your experiences.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While I've come across a few non-IT qualification workers, they are rare on the ground. I'd highly recommend you take an online conversion course in IT. As people mention, Springboard courses are good in that they can be done while working and give you a good starting point. For instance, many of the Business Analyst ones have some programming, usually python.

It's very much depends on the area you work in and the type of work you do. There are areas where you need to know as much as the business guys to be able to develop the software, for example financial and economic modelling, risk management, the research side of the chemicals, Pharma industry and factory automation. I worked mainly in the financial area and pretty much everyone on the development team had financial qualifications as well. Basically the people in that area don't want to spend time explaining the basics, if they talk about WACC or AUM etc they expect you know what they are and how to calculate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

I am also an Accounting Technician and looking to break into this field. I see springboard have courses in a few colleges starting in January, its all online which would suit me perfectly as I could work in my current job and still gain the degree.

I've little to no experience in software development, would a level 8 course done over 18/24 months be too much for me could anyone advise?

Software development is something you have to commit yourself to. It's not something that you can pop in and out of for a few hours over an extended period of time because you won't advance your skill set. Instead you'll find yourself repeating what you previously did because you have forgotten it and need to re-learn the same thing. That's incredibly frustrating on top of learning something that in itself isn't easy for most people. Getting a certificate to say you completed a course is fine but you will need to be able to demonstrate how you have put the skills that you have learned into practice.

Enroll in a course on Udemy and dedicate your time to completing it within a short time frame (a few weeks). If you can't make that commitment then perhaps it's not the career change that you need. A Udemy course will only cost you a few Euro and if you determine that the course is not what you wanted to do you can get a refund within 30 days.

If you complete the Udemy course and the experience didn't traumatize you then you will have some idea of what you will be doing on a Springboard course. My experience of doing a course is that they expect you to teach yourself, you are a mature student and there is little/no hand holding. You'll get lecture notes and labs to complete but do not expect a great amount of assistance if you get lost along the way.

I would not question the commitment of anyone who has got a professional accounting qualification... We are taking a full-time job plus most likely 10 or more hours study every week over a three or four year period. I'd have no doubt it they want to achieve it they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

Totes agree on this. Idk even the idea of you going for an accounting qualification itself shows that you are committed to your profession cause you want to learn and grow.

The spirit of your response is "if they want to achieve it they will". I'm speaking of my experience of somebody who I know with an accounting background that took a similar course. They had no idea what they were getting in to and weren't prepared for even basic things like the fact that Python uses zero based indexes. The IDE and interpreting error messages generated by their code frustrated them. Things snowballed and they fell behind, they didn't complete the course because the experience was a grind that they weren't prepared for in addition to their work and family commitments.

I later did a Data Science course with the same person and they were a natural with the statistics and maths elements but the coding requirement terrified them. I partnered with them for two group projects and tried to get them past the barrier they had created for themselves using paired programming but it was an extremely frustrating process for them. They improved but not dramatically. Turning an idea into Python/R code was beyond them but they could deliver solutions in Excel - that I couldn't understand.

Taking a course on Udemy that will challenge an individual to help them learn as opposed to just copy some code and admire the results will certainly help them if they decide to take a Springboard course. Coding is not for everyone, I know quite a few people with Computer Science qualifications that will admit that they don't know how to produce code.

• Advertisement

You questions their commitment not their ability... As well as being a software engineer, am also a fully qualified professional accountant, ex big-4 in fact, so I know a lot about the commitment needed to get there. If they decide to do it, then I have no doubt they will be at least as good as 50% of the developers out there. On top of which may of the people I have worked with or managed had accounting backgrounds.

Over the past thirty years, I've seen plenty of people experience what you have described, it is not unusual no matter what their background was. And all of this based on your experience of one person with a background in accounting......

I said that they need to be prepared to commit themselves to software development, that is not questioning their commitment. I also have years of experience in the field and in that time I have witnessed plenty of people who thought of giving it a go as a career change. Some succeeded and have done very well for themselves, others like the experience of a friend that I described have failed. I know plenty of people who have not been able to make the transition.

Advertisement