Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water trough size and height

Options
  • 08-05-2020 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm in the middle of making paddocks here in the sheep and calf ground. I'm thinking of concrete troughs but after a few breakdowns with TB in the last few years, it was recommended by my vet to put in troughs tall enough to discourage badgers from drinking. Dept website says 32 inches high off the ground which is OK for ewes and calves, if I can get them that height, but would that size be too high for weaned lambs?

Have come across a few 140gal troughs that are 25 inches high which would be fine for everything here but can't find any 32 inch high unless 1 go to 400gal which is too much for sheep and calves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

So I'm in the middle of making paddocks here in the sheep and calf ground. I'm thinking of concrete troughs but after a few breakdowns with TB in the last few years, it was recommended by my vet to put in troughs tall enough to discourage badgers from drinking. Dept website says 32 inches high off the ground which is OK for ewes and calves, if I can get them that height, but would that size be too high for weaned lambs?

Have come across a few 140gal troughs that are 25 inches high which would be fine for everything here but can't find any 32 inch high unless 1 go to 400gal which is too much for sheep and calves.

What about 6 inch blocks under the trough. It'd bring 25 inches to 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What about 6 inch blocks under the trough. It'd bring 25 inches to 31.

Thanks, I was thinking about that alright.

My biggest worry would be the troughs being too high for lambs to drink out of once they're weaned. I'd be reducing the badger problem and then causing a lack of water problem:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Thanks, I was thinking about that alright.

My biggest worry would be the troughs being too high for lambs to drink out of once they're weaned. I'd be reducing the badger problem and then causing a lack of water problem:confused:

Id say get the big water trougjs and put in a step beside the trough when theres sheep/lambs in thta paddock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Id say get the big water trougjs and put in a step beside the trough when theres sheep/lambs in thta paddock

Yeah, that's probably the best solution. I was hoping to avoid having to do something like that but needs must, I suppose.

Thanks for that folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Badgers can climb the block too, I'd plumb a small drinking bowl beside the tank at the right height for sheep/badgers,.... a bit overkill maybe , depends how much of a problem that TB and badgers are.
    I see lambs going to water long before they're weaned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Was there a crowd in kerry that make troughs like wrangler mentions? Normal size cattle trough with a smaller one for sheep beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

That’s about a foot and a half... should be fine I’d say...
    But let the proper sheep farmers say what they think too... ;)

Advertisement