Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the Sherman was the way it was.

Options
  • 09-02-2018 7:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

90 minutes, if you are interested in listening to me rabbit on about the subject matter in question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Great lecture, Sir. My father used to repair the [many] holes in these vehicles [and others, too] after they came back from France...

BTW, have you read 'Rude Mechanicals' by A J Smithers? ISBN 0-85052-722-8.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Rude mechanicals is one of my favourites and Smithers has a right go at the British tank establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Rude mechanicals is one of my favourites and Smithers has a right go at the British tank establishment.

Rightly so. It was a series of complete and chaotic misinterpretations of battelfield requirements, and ignoring the lessons that were being paid for in blood and matériel.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I thought his own desire to see TOG 2 roaming the battlefield was a bit far fetched; it didn't look any better than was currently being fielded....apart from that, I like David Fletcher's books but they cost silly money second hand.

Advertisement