Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

The 4 lads enjoying their shared accommodation after I mixed in the Lleyn with the other lads. :)
    He is a lot smaller than them, but he stood his ground good enough :)

283375.JPG

The girls this evening, thinking there was a chance they might get to go to fresh grass :)

283376.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Good pics Conmaicne Mara. That are the first I have seen with the Mountain blackface type on here. I have a similar type myself. Those lambs look to have good bodies. Have you any pictures of your rams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Good pics Conmaicne Mara. That are the first I have seen with the Mountain blackface type on here. I have a similar type myself. Those lambs look to have good bodies. Have you any pictures of your rams?

Thanks, my ram is well shook looking at the minute, I don't have a pic of him at the moment. When I let him and his soon to be bestest buddy out I'll try to get one. This was his last season here.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

The harness should work well. We make something similar with rope.
    However I still would prefer not to have them prolapse and as a general rule I would probably cull her unless she is a very good ewe.
    We have a good texel ewe that prolapsed last year with her first lamb but we chanced her again this year.

ewe + prolapse = bad ewe
    first time lamber + prolapse = very bad ewe

you will only build up more bother in your flock with that breeding policy,sheep are enough work don't make it worse.

cull out all ewes with prolapse and their lambs too.same for mastitis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    ewe + prolapse = bad ewe

you will only build up more bother in your flock with that breeding policy,sheep are enough work don't make it worse.

Had a lot of prolapses in one year old ewes in 2012, and kept some of them......paid the price in 2013, so won't be doing it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

I had 100% increase in prolapses last year ,2 out of 200,coz I missed the one that prolapsed 2012 at culling time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    ewe + prolapse = bad ewe

I agree with you on that. It can be hard to get agreement on culling a young sheep though. We did have big problems a few years ago that went away when we started culling prolapsed ewes.
    I think part of the problem with the one we kept is her tail had been docked to short by somebody. We bought her as a foster lamb after it was done.

Hey Rancher - do you mind me asking where you got those meal feeders from and a rough cost? They look a good job.

Saw this and thought of.......... Wooly Admirer

http://www.donedeal.ie/feedingequipment-for-sale/ad-lib-feeder-3010/5981930

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

theres lots of sheep in the country without keeping problem ones young or old. enough work without making it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would agree with what's said about prolapse, those harness are great, and get rid of anything that needs one before lambing, I put them on ewes after lambing that have a tough time during lambing in case they take the notion to start forcing again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

Thanks for that CM. Was thinking it might be handy for a few pets, although we try to foster on as many as possible. We have a few additional fostering unit head gates for 2014 so I might hold off on the feeder and see how the spring goes. If at all possible I want to avoid the pet lamb rearing game......

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Couple of my Hampshire downs, no pics of the ewes,lambing from end of December on.

Not the best examples of either breed. Very small flock so don't have the ram budget that I'd ideally like.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

DSCF1867_zpsd5bf6ec3.jpg
    Some of the replacement blackface ewe lambs, had them in today to give them a dose of cobalt. Should help keep them going in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

eire23 wrote: »
    DSCF1867_zpsd5bf6ec3.jpg
    Some of the replacement blackface ewe lambs, had them in today to give them a dose of cobalt. Should help keep them going in the right direction

Nice Quality Eire, what weight are they? presume you will be out wintering them?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Nice Quality Eire, what weight are they? presume you will be out wintering them?

Wouldn't be sure of the average weight tbh, must weigh a lock of them when were housing them. They will be housed in the next week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

some of the girls chopping away at some fodder beet and enjoying the sunshine today!

dave747 wrote: »
    some of the girls chopping away at some fodder beet and enjoying the sunshine today!

They look well Dave. They have the place eaten down fairly well.

How much beet do they get a day if you don't mind me asking.

Is that one on the other side of the wire supposed to be there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

dave747 wrote: »

Look good . Don't you have any mud? My ones look wet and dirty and I'm not photographing them

Look good . Don't you have any mud? My ones look wet and dirty and I'm not photographing them

I'm guessing it's bought rather than grown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's bought rather than grown

Is it not his sheep that's wet and dirty.
    Dave has some nice dry land. Here I've to watch my step so I don't get stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

get roughly 2 beet a head a day with hay and mineral buckets at the min, find beet very good feeding

yes beet bought in washed and delivered

land is very good dry land, sheep are outwintered and only brought in week before lambing starts and let back out as soon as lambs are hardy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ipod

nice ram nice lambs from him.land is so wet now.

I put my few ewes and lambs out this morning.

Lets hope the weather tonight and for the next few days is good enough... :o

Lovely feeling putting em out to fresh grass with small lambs, after they being in for a while... :)

289287.JPG

thats grass will really drive them on UJ

razor8 wrote: »
    thats grass will really drive them on UJ

Yeah - its the only grass I have tho :(

And I am short because of keeping it held up for them ewes.

My replacement ewe lambs are looking shook enough because of it to be honest Razor. Need to do something with em... :(

Always something ha... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

My replacement ewe lambs are looking shook enough because of it to be honest Razor. Need to do something with em... :(

Good dry looking land uj. They will thrive in that. Do they have much shelter in the field.

sea12 wrote: »
    Good dry looking land uj. They will thrive in that. Do they have much shelter in the field.

They have a bit of shelter down the bottom of it, not a whole pile tho.

My ground would be dry, but high and open enough. Shelter is something I could do with a lot more of...

Chat nicely to any of your dairy neighbours, they might give them a home for a few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

not great at up loading hope this works

a couple of new arrivals during tne night and the older ones enjoying a brief break in the clouds

Advertisement