Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekly WW2 Trivia Questions

Options
  • 29-04-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

There was a trivia thread a while ago, so I've decided to revive it with 10 new questions every week if anyone fancies having a go ?? :)

Some of the questions will be difficult, but you have a week to do your research.

Here are this weeks 10, I'll post new ones next week and announce this weeks winner then.

1: What was the Black Orchestra ?

2: What were the WASPS ?

3: What ship was known as the Evil I ? (Thats the letter i)

4: What was the name of the RAF plan to deploy all available aircraft against the Luftwaffe as it approached Coventry ?

5: During the North African Campaign, what was known as Black Saturday ?

6: "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue" Who said it ? where? and when ?

7: What was the American retort/reply to the British quip "You Yanks are Overpaid Oversexed and Over Here"

8: Who said: "The last man to see Hitler wins the game"

9: Who said the following about whom: "His ardour and daring inflicted grievous losses upon us...a Great General"

10: What did the following message mean: "The Italian navigator has just landed in the New World. The natives are friendly"

Good Luck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Black orchestra were anti hitlerites in the German armed forces inc Stauffenberg etc

Guess;
    6 sounds very Churchey & hilley but that means it's probably not :)
    9 ....
    about rommel ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Some good questions, in that one. I can only guess.

2:
    Women's Auxilliary Shuttle Pilot Service? (Those women who flew bombers and fighters across the Atlantic)

3:
    USS Intrepid?

4:
    Operation "Cabbage crates coming over the briney"

5:
    Kasserine Pass?

7:
    Atari Jaguar

10:
    First test of the A-Bomb?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Black orchestra was the gestapo name for the plot to overthrow hitler wasn't it? The one that brought down Rommel?

The wasps were womens air service pilots. mosly involved in ferry flights, target towing, tha sort of thing

Dunno this one.........maybe the Iowa?

I have a vague recollection of the phrase Cold water?

read a book on torch a few months back.....haven't got the foggiest!!

That was Nimitz, at Iwo Jima

under paid, under sexed, under eisenhower.

Think it was Monty about Rommell?

it was a reference to Enrico Fermi, and i thought it was to do with the worlds first nuclear reactor?.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What did the British smuggle into the country from the US labelled Grapefruit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Jews

Q. During the Battle of Stalingrad there was an apartment block held by 25 Russian soldiers for 59 days under intense attacks by the Germans. The house remains still today as a symbol of Russian Resistance. What is it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

1.A plot to destroy the German government from within

2.Women air service pilots

3.USS Lexington

4.Ultra

6. 16 March 1945,Admiral Nimitz,Iwo Jima

7.Underpaid,undersexed and under Eisenhower

8.Patton

9.Churchil about Rommel

10.A coded message confirming the first self sustaining nuclear reaction,Dec 2 1942

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

1: What was the Black Orchestra ?
    A: The Group of Germans including Admiral Canaris who worked to overthrow Hitler and the Nazis.

2: What were the WASPS ?
    A: Nearly 2000 American women who transoprted Aircraft for delivery to the allied forces, between 1942 and 1944.

3: What ship was known as the Evil I ? (Thats the letter i)
    A: U.S. Aircraft Carrier "Intrepid" because of her ability to be in the way of Japanese bombs and torpedoes, all too frequently.

4: What was the name of the RAF plan to deploy all available aircraft against the Luftwaffe as it approached Coventry ?
    A: "Operation Cold Douche" which had little success.

5: During the North African Campaign, what was known as Black Saturday ?
    A: June 13th 1942 when Rommel ambushed 300 British Tanks, and destroyed 230 of them.

6: "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue" Who said it ? where? and when ?
    A: Admiral Chester Nimitz, after the capture of Iwo Jima.

7: What was the American retort/reply to the British quip "You Yanks are Overpaid Oversexed and Over Here"
    A: "You're underpaid, undersexed, and under Eisenhower."

8: Who said: "The last man to see Hitler wins the game"
    A: Rommel to an aide when discussing Hitlers ability to change his mind or make a decision.

9: Who said the following about whom: "His ardour and daring inflicted grievous losses upon us...a Great General"
    A: Churchill about Rommel

10: What did the following message mean: "The Italian navigator has just landed in the New World. The natives are friendly"
    A: Sent by Nobel Prize winner "Arthur Compton" it informed Washington that the U.S. had successfully produced a controlled chain reaction within the atom.

It looks like a tiebreaker between Arnhem44 & gatecrash well done guys :)

will post another 10 tomorow.

Thanks to everyone who had a go last week :)

The Questions will be a bit more varied and interesting this time ;)

Here goes.

1: Who said "Ther'll be no Dunkirk here!" about where?

2: Who said "I'm too old a bunny to get excited about this" about what ?

3: Who popularized the phrase "Unconditional Surrender"

4: Identify the German General 2nd in command to Rommel who was captured in November 1942 when Montgomery drove the Germans out of Egypt.

5: Identify this infamous SS Officer

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/989/96388651.jpg
    http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/6937/65872117.jpg

6: Who was Commissar of Kharkov, the city known as the Soviet Pitsburg?

7: What was the name of the site near Kiev wher the SS murdered 34'000 Jews by Gunfire?

8: How did the Japanese get ariel photos of Pearl Harbour and Hickham Field?

9: How many women served as pilots in the Soviet Air Force?

10: Which Country acomplished the Largest mining of a seaway during WW2 ?

Will post the answers next Sunday Night

Good Luck

marcsignal wrote: »

I will pick the easy one first - Amon Goeth Commander of Plaszow concentraion camp.

• Advertisement

General W.Barton Lesch,Korea
    General Von Salmuth,when the second message was recieved about the D-Day landings
    Ulysses Grant
    General Wilhelm Ritter Von Thoma
    Amon Goeth
    Nikita Khrushchev
    Baby Yar
    As a guess mock lessons on civilian aircraft
    Around one thousand
    USA

can I ask how is the spoiler put in place?

1: Who said "Ther'll be no Dunkirk here!" about where?
    British General L J Morshead commander at Tobruk

2: Who said "I'm too old a bunny to get excited about this" about what ?
    General Hans von Salmuth CO of the German 15th Army when told of the second part of the coded message announcing the invasion of Europe. He continued to play Bridge with other Officers.

3: Who popularized the phrase "Unconditional Surrender"
    FDR at the Casablanca Conference in January 1943. The term was an expansion of General Grants initials (U.S.) after Grants demand for unconditional surrender of Fort Donelson in Feb 1862.

4: Identify the German General 2nd in command to Rommel who was captured in November 1942 when Montgomery drove the Germans out of Egypt.
    General Ritter von Thoma who was captured along with 30'000 Axis Troops.

5: Identify this infamous SS Officer
    http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/989/96388651.jpg
    http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/6937/65872117.jpg
    Amon Goth.

6: Who was Commissar of Kharkov, the city known as the Soviet Pitsburg?
    Nikita Kruschev, who called the Kremlin and demanded the Soviet Army be withdrawn in the face of German Strength.

7: What was the name of the site near Kiev wher the SS murdered 34'000 Jews by Gunfire?
    Babi Yar Ravine where the Jews were told assemble for resettlement. The Germans only expected about 6000 to turn up.

8: How did the Japanese get ariel photos of Pearl Harbour and Hickham Field?
    By having agents take private sight seeing plane rides from John Rogers Airport.
    Their task was duplicated hundreds of times by ordinary tourists.

9: How many women served as pilots in the Soviet Air Force?
    More than 5000, of whom Lt. Lilya Litvak with 7 kills, and Lt Katya Budanova with 6 kills were the top 2 aces.

10: Which Country acomplished the Largest mining of a seaway during WW2 ?
    The US on Jan 29th 1945 when the costal waters of Saigon, Penang and Singapore, among others, were filled with more than 360 mines dropped by B-29 bombers.

Looks like Arnhem44 has it in the bag this week ! Well Done!:)

Will post another 10 tomorrow

1: Identify the 2 aircraft involved in the last dogfight of the European theater, and what was unusual about the result of this engagement.

2: Identify the first type of Monoplane to operate from a U.S. Aircraft Carrier.

3: Where and when did the British Fleet score its first victory against the Axis during WW2 ?

4: How many submarines did the U.S lose in the Atlantic ?

5: When did the heaviest and most severe raid on London by the Luftwaffe take place ?

6: When did the last air raid on Berlin by the Western Allies take place ?

7: Which Allied General was code named 'Duckpin' ? Was it a: Devers, b: Eisenhower, or c: Truscott

8: What was the code name of the unsuccessful 1943 attempt to kill Hitler by putting a bomb in his plane ?

9: What was known as the 'Gibraltar of the South Pacific' ?

10: Who was "Eva Brauns" sister "Gretl" married to ? and what was his eventual fate?

Good Luck :)

Scien wrote: »
    Woah, those are hard... :confused:

you should be able to crack em with tactical use of the google ;)

Scien wrote: »
    That would be defeating the purpose of the quiz though...

well, not really, they're deliberately obscure questions that will take a little digging around to find. I figured many posters would be using google or wiki anyway, so i formatted the questions in such a way that they'll require a little snooping about. ;)

• Advertisement

hmm google or wiki,are you serious:P,theres nothing stopping anyone using the net to find the answers and no way of controlling it any other way really

I thought the rule was no google or wiki ? If its wiki allowed then I would agree it defeats the purpose a bit.

Marc is right there is no way to stop people from using google. Maybe to stop them using wiki though people should include a link to where they got their answers for each question? spoilered out obviously....

Even if you know the answer to a question, as Scien does to q10 this week, maybe include a link to back up your answer?

Just a suggestion lads....... Up to the quiz master though

gatecrash wrote: »
    Marc is right there is no way to stop people from using google. Maybe to stop them using wiki though people should include a link to where they got their answers for each question? spoilered out obviously....

Of course there is no way to stop people from using the web. No one is saying there is a way to do that other than ask people not to maybe.
    gatecrash wrote: »
    Even if you know the answer to a question, as Scien does to q10 this week, maybe include a link to back up your answer?

Just a suggestion lads....... Up to the quiz master though

Many answers are found in books/documentaries/history channel/other internet forums where discussion threads on more detailed aspects are carried out, some anecdote you heard somewhere sometime etc - it is not always possible to remember exactly where some nugget of information lodged in your originally head came from imo.

10 =
    PS 10 is Fegelein

Morlar wrote: »
    Of course there is no way to stop people from using the web. No one is saying there is a way to do that other than ask people not to maybe.

Many answers are found in books/documentaries/history channel/other internet forums where discussion threads on more detailed aspects are carried out, some anecdote you heard somewhere sometime etc - it is not always possible to remember exactly where some nugget of information lodged in your originally head came from imo.

fair enough, but as i said they were just suggestions.

one off Florida
    Herman Fegelin

Where does it say that you can't use wiki or google?,at the start of the quiz thread marc only states that everyone has a week to research there answers.I'll admit I've used the net to find some of the answers for the previous quiz but even at that some of the answers can't be found or are only half right,the net dosen't throw up the answers that easy

arnhem44 wrote: »
    one off Florida
    Herman Fegelin

Where does it say that you can't use wiki or google?,a

I dont have a link but in one of the earlier quiz threads a few months ago this issue cropped up. I thought the unofficial rule was not to use the web - if everyone else however is then thats fine so long as it is cleared up one way or another.

maybe its best to have everyone agree on the ways the questions are answered,let marc put down the ground rules and take it from there

There's a lot of good points/opinions there, so here's my thinking on it.

The object of the exercise is to have a bit of fun, but also to increase everyones knowledge of WW2 Trivia.

If someone looks at a question and doesn't know the answer off the top of their head, they're snookered outright for that question. However if they can have a dig around and try to find the answer somewhere (wiki/google/books/documentaries etc) and find it, or think they've found it, then they're more likely to remember the answer to that question long into the future, like doing research for a college assignment etc, and might pick up a few little tit bits on the way.

it's also the reason I put a 1 week timeline on each 10 questions, and for that reason I've tried to make some of the questions a little obscure.

The only suggestion I can make is that we agree to allow google/wiki/ or whatever for the questions posted for this week and see how it affects everyones results, as i'm pretty sure nobody will get all 10 right.

Maybe posters can put their vote at the end of their answers this week ie: Yes for Wiki or No for Wiki and we can take it whatever way the majority want to do it from next sunday on ??

Everyone's knowledge level is different, and I didn't want some posters to feel excluded, because they felt they wern't as knowledgable as some of the others, that's all.

i'm easy one way or the other.

PS: if anyone is looking for a picture signature linking to this, or any other military related forum, like Arnhem 44s or mine, just pm me.

• Advertisement

Piper Cub and Fiessler Storch

VE7-SF

Uragauy,13/12/39

one off floridia R-12

heaviest on the 15/10/40 and most severe on 29/12/40

20/4/45

Operation Flash

hermann Fegelin

Advertisement