Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wordpress website - setting up blog

• 11-01-2021 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭

I help to manage a website, which operates on Wordpress.

I am trying to understand and manage the blog posts.

I am an amateur at these matters.

What I want is the word Blog in the navigation menu, and if that is clicked, I want a list of blog posts to appear, with author/date/tags, etc.

At the moment, a normal Page is used, and when time passes, and another blogpost is to be added, new text is simply added above the existing text on that Page.

So the list of blogposts is really just blocks of text.

The Add Posts feature is not used.

I have looked at some video tutorials, and I am learning more.

I have gone into Settings>Reading, and I think I understand the static pages.

There is a static Posts page, okay, and I can see that Page in the list of Pages.

But how are new blogposts added to that Page?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pretty straightforward, this tutorial looks like it covers exactly what you're looking for Geuze: https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-a-separate-page-for-blog-posts-in-wordpress/

Quick version:

Create a page named Blog

In Settings>Reading, set Posts Page>Blog

Add the Blog page to the menu/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thank you.

(1) I have checked the Settings>Reading, and the homepage displays as follows:

A static page:
    Homepage: page called <Home>
    Posts page: page called <Blog (main page)>

That seems ok so far.

(2) In the list of Pages, there is a Page called:

Blog (main page) - Posts Page

(3) in the Appearances>Menus, I have added the Page called <Blog (main page)> to the menu, and it appears on the live navigation menu fine.

So the menu is fine.

BUT
    when I click on the Blog (main page) in the menu, what actually appears is the homepage.

Where do I actually create the posts? If I look in Posts>All Posts, there are short blogposts that I have published, but they don't appear anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Are you sure you have created and set a static page as the homepage? can we get a link to look at it please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Under Settings>Reading, yes for sure, I can see that A static page is selected.

Now, underneath A static page there are two to be selected:

A static page (select below)

Homepage: Home
    Posts page: Blog (mainpage)

Both have selections, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

in your editor where you wrote the blog post, there' a thing there that you can add to the blog posts that tells Wordpress where in the text the snippet should end. you'll need to add this to every post. I would suggest adding at the end of the first paragraph

• Advertisement
Advertisement